Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jul 30, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #526 of 544
I have been following with considerable interest the discussions regarding tip-rolling and the effect of various tips on the perceived sound. This has been of particular interest to me as the physiology of my ear canals preclude the use of deep insertion tips as well as foams. I have done considerable research on the physiology of the human ear canl and its effect on frequency response.

As each persons ear canals differ, the resonant frequency also differs. The ear canal itself is responsible for amplifying sounds in the 2000 to 4000 hz range, more or less. Anything that is inserted into the ear canal will affect the response. This obviously includes foams, tips of differing lengths, etc. The smaller the diameter of the ear canal, the more sensitive it also becomes to sounds in this frequency range.

Due to the shape of my ear canals (small diameter, sharp bends, I can only use large silicons that actually cover the outside of my ear canal rather than entering them. I have found that this type of tip actually reduces the variations that I experience between headphones, as inserted tips seem to affect the resonance and resulting frequency response more than the actual frequency curve of the headphone itself. Of course the tip covering the entrance to the ear canal must provide a leak-proof seal to preserve the bass response designed into the headphone.

Since the human ear is designed to be most sensitive at these resonant frequencies, very small changes in the shape or length of the ear canal can result in very large changes to what we actually hear with a given set of phones.

Regarding my previous comments regarding the Flares vs EM8513, I suspect that to my ears the fact that they sound more alike than different is because I am using the same type on tips on both and due to my exposure to years of aircraft noise, I do have some high-frequency hearing loss hence the roll-off of the Cardas is not as noticeable to me.

Bottom line of this is to just be aware of the fact that ANYTHING inside the ear canal will result in significant changes to what your brain has learned from years of listening! It is no wonder tip-rolling can result in huge changes to the sound of an earphone.

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #527 of 544
I thought about starting a new thread for FlaresPro. Would those here posting about the new product be okay with posting about it there, if I were to create it?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would certainly be willing to post in it.

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #528 of 544
@Arysyn no idea if IEMs are tuned differently for various countries. Some highend speakers are. Dave Wilson of Wilson Audio explained it once. European rooms are smaller than US and usually not wood. This meant way too much bass that was almost impossible for the owner to correct. So same speaker model tuned for different counties.

With earphones it would be more a matter of taste? Interesting.

I've read about a few iems bring tuned differently based on the cultural climate of a region towards audio. Although, more recently the main product I have in mind that is done this way, is a soundbar by LG used for their W series wallpaper-style OLED televisions. I read about it a few months ago during the short time I was an active member on AVSforum. There was a video posted somewhere with a link description, and while I don't remember exactly which one mentioned this information, it was notified that the tuning of these soundbars vary by region.

I feel quite confident Flare Audio is not doing this, which even if the sound signature turns out not to be my liking, I at least respect Flare for keeping to their tuning on the product sold everywhere. However, I'm very concerned the tuning difference does exist on the HiFiMan RE800.

I emailed HiFiMan a few times in between the few very unclear responses I received from them not addressing the issue other than to say they don't specifically sell a bass-heavy version and then asked me if I'd be interested in a model they are introducing with a removable cable. While the mention I suppose was nice of them, it really wasn't addressing my concerns, and since then, I haven't heard back from them att all about the tuning.

Flare Audio told me to email them in a few weeks, and they'd have some helpful information ready to give me in a few weeks. This I'm referring to the general interest discussion about the FlaresPro I mentioned in this thread recently. I'm pretty excited about it still, while hoping that review on Headphone List was a rare perception, or perhaps the reviewer received a faulty or pre-production unit.

Again, I want an iem with neutral or slightly less than neutral bass, with the low mids about the same or on a slight incline, so that the remaining of the mids are slightly forward. I don't need the vocals to sound as if I'm on-stage with the singer, but they need to be at least slightly ahead of the bass and slightly forward in presentation to have the sense of some closeness. Treble needs to be detailed and spacious enough to have a larger soundstage than an intimate studio, where the sound feels live and engaging, but not so much that its starts putting distance between myself and the singer beyond a certain somewhat forward degree.

Jul 30, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #529 of 544
Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #531 of 544
Hi Guys,

How does the comply tsx 200 (comfort version) sound with this? Are there any other tips that could be as good as the audiophile foam tips? I'm not really a fan silicone tips as they tend to always make the treble a bit too harsh for my liking.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #534 of 544
Can anyone compare new flares pro and 3-4 BA IEM? Details retrieval and bass attack/speed.
I had R2S and R2Pro in the past and they could not really compete with the 3 BA um pro 30 in that regard.

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #535 of 544
Flares Pro isn't as high-frequency or low frequency detailed as some BA earphones are, but its midrange and general positional instrument layout is as good or realistic as can be. It's a bit warmer, but within that signature, detailed. Still, you won't find air in between instruments, or surgical positioning like you will with a VE6 X Control or K10.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #536 of 544
Best tips for me with the Flares Pro are the MandarinES hybrid tips, there is a thread about them here : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-review-of-mandarines-foam-tips.825397/

Not sure if it's because of deep insertion or the high density foam or both, but I find they do tame any harshness I get with the BT module and bass are tighter too. Worth checking out IMHO :)

On the reverse side, the audiophile tips of the Flares PRO do fit the Vega very well, providing extra detail and air and better soundstage.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #537 of 544
Best tips for me with the Flares Pro are the MandarinES hybrid tips, there is a thread about them here : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-review-of-mandarines-foam-tips.825397/

Not sure if it's because of deep insertion or the high density foam or both, but I find they do tame any harshness I get with the BT module and bass are tighter too. Worth checking out IMHO :)

On the reverse side, the audiophile tips of the Flares PRO do fit the Vega very well, providing extra detail and air and better soundstage.

Would you say the Normal or Wide Bore version is better? How do they cope with highs? I'm always worried about silicone being too sibilant for my taste (even when modded with foam). Thanks

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #538 of 544
Would you say the Normal or Wide Bore version is better? How do they cope with highs? I'm always worried about silicone being too sibilant for my taste (even when modded with foam). Thanks

I prefer wide bore, they do cope with highs just as well as foams, in fact I would say even a tad better. Remember those tips are hybrids with a very high density foam (much denser than comply). For me it's the advantages of the foams with the better seal of the silicon. It really was the best tip for the R2 PRO for my taste, and not by a small margin.

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #539 of 544
I prefer wide bore, they do cope with highs just as well as foams, in fact I would say even a tad better. Remember those tips are hybrids with a very high density foam (much denser than comply). For me it's the advantages of the foams with the better seal of the silicon. It really was the best tip for the R2 PRO for my taste, and not by a small margin.

Thanks. What size do you recommend I get? I heard some people say sizing down might be the best fit for the W version? I normally use mediums. Did you have to size down from your normal fit or was it comfortable?

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #540 of 544
Thanks. What size do you recommend I get? I heard some people say sizing down might be the best fit for the W version? I normally use mediums. Did you have to size down from your normal fit or was it comfortable?

You're right, I typically always need L size but for those I use M I think that's because they're meant for deeper than average insertion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back