Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jun 20, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #317 of 544
I tried the Flares PRO with the Mojo and the synergy is pretty good, I also think along burn-in things are settling in.
Bass are first class and the detail level is pretty amazing, mids are getting sweeter for me now.

I'll try the BT module again to check that U shaped sig impression I got initially.

Anyone got theirs and have impressions to share?

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #318 of 544
Well, bad news for those who were expecting another models by Flare. I asked them abut the possibility of new versions of the flares coming and they answered me, i quote:

"We do not have any plans to bring out any other version of FLARES PRO in the foreseeable future"

Just in case some people was waiting for different options. Hope it will make easier taking decisions pulling or not the trigger with these seductive, unfortunately too expensive for me, FlaresPro iems.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #320 of 544
Originally at the start of this thread there were 3 models. Flares, Flares HD, and Flares Pro. So the recent Flare comment could mean there will no other Pro models, but there could still be the Flares and Flare HD. Or The new Flare comment could mean this is the one and only IEM they are manufacturing. Which is it?

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #321 of 544
I don't think they will release any more... From my correspondence with them it looks like their plan was to put on market "the one to rule them all" IEM - something flawless in sound departament. What's the point in adding inferior products? If new Flares cost 1000£, it would make sense to add cheaper variants. Given recent price policies of other brands, 375£ for a flagship is reasonably low. They've learnt on their mistakes - old Flares prices (175£, 300£, 400£) for the same cable and same driver were somewhat weird given that only difference was the metal.
Me - I'd like other variants like old Flares. It was fun to have them all and hear how changing build material can change the sound.

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #323 of 544
I don't think Flare need to release any other variants of the Pro. The package really is top notch for the price, the build quality appears good so far and the sound is excellent, they go up in my estimation every time I listen to them.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #325 of 544
Originally at the start of this thread there were 3 models. Flares, Flares HD, and Flares Pro. So the recent Flare comment could mean there will no other Pro models, but there could still be the Flares and Flare HD. Or The new Flare comment could mean this is the one and only IEM they are manufacturing. Which is it?

No doubt about it, i copy the complete communication we had to state it more clearly
My e-mail:
Dear friends from Flare.
I'm a happy owner of your Flare R2a and was very interested in the new models you were going to release this year. However, the FlarePro, with all its impressive features, doesn't fit my bill. I'd like to know if your planning to release that model without the extras (just with a simple cable) or even a closed one more similar to the r2a. I've been expecting all this year to upgrade mine with a little bit more affordable budget and if there aren't more new models on the way i'd like to know it to look in different directions. Obviously my preferences are continuing with your products, so if they're coming soon i can calm my consumerism pulsion for benefiting of a concept (in shape and sound) that fits exactly with my needs.
Best regards and good luck wit your new projects.
Daniel

Their kind and fast answer.

Dear Daniel
Thank you for your message.
We do not have any plans to bring out any other version of FLARES PRO in the foreseeable future.
I hope this answers your question.
Kind regards
James @ Team Flare

Hope this helps

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #326 of 544
I don't think they will release any more... From my correspondence with them it looks like their plan was to put on market "the one to rule them all" IEM - something flawless in sound departament. What's the point in adding inferior products? If new Flares cost 1000£, it would make sense to add cheaper variants. Given recent price policies of other brands, 375£ for a flagship is reasonably low. They've learnt on their mistakes - old Flares prices (175£, 300£, 400£) for the same cable and same driver were somewhat weird given that only difference was the metal.
Me - I'd like other variants like old Flares. It was fun to have them all and hear how changing build material can change the sound.

I don't think Flare need to release any other variants of the Pro. The package really is top notch for the price, the build quality appears good so far and the sound is excellent, they go up in my estimation every time I listen to them.

I'm sure about the package virtues. And wouldn't question that with all that extras and a bettered sound the price can be considered reasonably low. Anyway i find it disappointing for some of us, the ones that, not doubting about the relative values of the iem (quality-price), find it difficult to afford it in absolute terms (price). Spending so much isn't easy for everyone. Without the bluetooth (which i don't need) and the wonderful packaging, not changing materials or anything more on the iem, maybe they could have sold a cheaper version with the same design. They didn't and what they released is undoubtedly tempting, but reduces the diversity of clients. Just my thoughts, of course.

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #327 of 544
Mine just arrived. I'm disappointed not to have a non-Bluetooth option but am fortunate that this was not a show-stopper for me.

Bluetooth might be handy for some work / gym / walking around scenarios as my regular stack is more transportable than portable.

Out of the box, compared to R2 Pro:

+ More, and better, sub-bass
+ Faster bass overall
+ More detail top to bottom
+ Highly musical and resolving
+ Really nice mids
+ More soundstage width, maybe a touch more depth too
+ More immersive staging
+ Semi-open design, feels less boxed in whilst maintaining comparable level of isolation
+ Airier, more extended treble. Maybe a touch of brightness in places on some tracks - perhaps that will settle down with use
+ Better cable, feels more robust
+ Colour-coded L/R cables

- No non-Bluetooth / single-ended cable version forthcoming
- Non-detachable cables
- Question mark over reliability of balanced connectors
- Reported fragility of supplied audiophile tips
- High cost of replacement propriety tips

I concur with the other impressions here so far. It seems that Flare have listened and addressed many of the perceived weak points of the R2 range.

Just my opinion after a few minutes of listening.

The box itself is mad, btw, if you like that kind of thing. I'd be happier with a minimalist eco box but that's just my preference.

Haven't tried the Bluetooth yet or any of the supplied tips. I was very happy with Crystal Tips on my R2 and so far they sound good, to me, on the FLARES PRO too.

I haven't had much exposure to high-end IEMs - a few minutes at CanJam London 2015 with Noble K10 and that's about it so take this all with a pinch of salt.

To me though, as an existing Flare R2 user, these are an impressive step up in performance from R2. Wow!

iPhone 5C > CCK / USB > Chord Mojo > Kember 3.5mm cable > Neco Soundlab v5 amp > FLARES PRO > Crystalline Audio Crystal Tips

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #328 of 544
To me the perceived "downsides" of the Flares PRO, and yes choices have been made like including the BT module or not being able to swap cable, should not divert from the amazing value for money.

Would I have purchased the Flares PRO if not for the BT module, probably not (oh my, I can't use my balanced out and use my nice cables, plus redondant with the R2Pro).

I usually now go for the TOTL IEMs well above that price range (now, it took me a few years to get from UE Triple Fi 10 to Phonak PFE232 and then higher up to Velvet, S-EM9, 64 U12 and Campfire Vega). Having a decent BT alternative that means I can get great sound without taking out a 2/3K stack not to mention go lightweight with just my smartphone (use case, vacation where I move a lot, or the office where I don't want things to disappear).

The interresting thing is, I do use the Flares PRO that way at the office (or paired to the Nvidia Shield TV for movies) but I also used them with Chord Mojo and the DX200 and they sound nothing like 400€ IEMs. They punch well above their price range and much more so than the R2Pro that were already great value for money sound quality wise. I don't have the specs for impedance and sensitivity but the Flares PRO do require a bit of power IMHO to be driven well and that's key for them to shine. For my taste, they fit better with an organic, musical DAP than a reference one. I just got DX200 amp2 and it's another ball game from my amp1 impressions :D

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #329 of 544
Find all this very disappointing. Balanced cable assemblies were supposed to arrive for the original Flare. Waited and waited. Never happened. Then Flares were announced. Given the impression they would have interchangeable balanced cables. So I waited again. What was introduced? A bluetooth box few if anyone ever asked for during the Flare Kickstarter days. And MMCX connectors. Hear nothing but bad things about these connectors when repeatedly hooked and unhooked. So I have an option of interchangeable cable ends with nothing I want to hook up.

Apparently the Isolate sold so well Flare has very little interest in selling any other IEMs. A shame.

Only see two scenarios that would entice me to buy Flares. 1. A balanced cable module. 2. If the "flying" cable's MMCX are the same gender as those on IEMs like Shure, Westone, Fidue, then I could plug in my MMCX- 3.5mm Trinity Audio Engineering balanced cables. This would still be a kludge.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #330 of 544
Ok, i have four questions about them:

1) Has anyone tried them on the bus or the subway and can tell us about isolation on the go?
2) How do they suit EDM?
3) Different messages insist in describing a stronger sub bass and faster mid bass. How noticeably is that?. Does it mean they are fuller but smoother at the bass department, that they growl more but kick less?
3) Could someone compare in detail the Flares with the Sennheiser ie800?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back