FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Jul 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,896 of 4,896
Just giving people the heads up, came into stock @ ALO Audio, I just bought a pair (and also a pair of the Parterre last night since I found the Yodobashi limited package in stock) ouch to my wallet.  Looking very much forward to these to pair with my current gear before the AK120 (still waiting to see how the DX50 pans out).

http://www.aloaudio.com/fitear-togo-334

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #2,897 of 4,896
Quote:
Yeh..I use the large ones. They do remind of medium to small sized tips . At first they seemed to give poor seal, but with time, once they get a little wear and usage ..they 
cling like suction caps..lol

Does the 334s housing also contribute to the seal? That thing felt like a CIEM with a vaccum-like seal :).

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2,900 of 4,896
Quote:

I used large V-moda I think. The fit was very good from what I recall. BTW should be sending out those tips to you today :p.

I did use the large V-moda tips before (the one with orange stem, with green stem being the largest) and found the fit and comfort is very good, but the isolation is not as good as the Ortofon.
Maybe due to its softer silicone compared to the Ortofon

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,901 of 4,896
Quote:

I did use the large V-moda tips before (the one with orange stem, with green stem being the largest) and found the fit and comfort is very good, but the isolation is not as good as the Ortofon.
Maybe due to its softer silicone compared to the Ortofon

Could be the Ortofons also go deeper into your ear canals since they are smaller. I can only go so deep without losing a seal regardless if the tip is large or not. But with the V-modas or JVCs they go deep. Just I could push them even further but it will break the seal if I go too deep.

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,902 of 4,896
Quote:
I can only go so deep without losing a seal regardless if the tip is large or not. But with the V-modas or JVCs they go deep. Just I could push them even further but it will break the seal if I go too deep.

lee, usually 'deeper' results in a better seal which is why AUVIO's (which are offset toward the ear from the IEM body) provide a better seal than shallow fitting tips typical of most other brands.

Your ears must be 'different' if deeper insertion actually causes your tips to loose seal...my ears are the opposite up to the point, of course, that the deeper insertion becomes uncomfortable.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #2,903 of 4,896
Quote:

lee, usually 'deeper' results in a better seal which is why AUVIO's (which are offset toward the ear from the IEM body) provide a better seal than shallow fitting tips typical of most other brands.

Your ears must be 'different' if deeper insertion actually causes your tips to loose seal...my ears are the opposite up to the point, of course, that the deeper insertion becomes uncomfortable.

There are others who find the V-moda and JVCs to fit better than the Auvio tips so it's not really a matter of my ears being different :wink:. The Auvios are simply not wide enough to give me a good seal as my ear canals are quite large (the Auvios reminds me of medium sized tips, maybe a tad larger). The depth of the seal isn't so much of a factor in me achieving a good seal it is if the tips themselves are wide enough to grip the walls of my ear canals to achieve the seal. I'm also not into ear rape :p. Note the Auvios are indeed a bit taller in size than the JVC and V-moda but not by much at all just as the V-moda and JVCs aren't that much wider. But it's enough so where adding in an extra tip to the Auvio (your mod) still won't work. It'll just lead my ears to getting irritated by the silicone rubbing up against the insides of my ears and still not getting a good seal (oxymoron).

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2,904 of 4,896
Quote:

There are others who find the V-moda and JVCs to fit better than the Auvio tips so it's not really a matter of my ears being different :wink:. The Auvios are simply not wide enough to give me a good seal as my ear canals are quite large (the Auvios reminds me of medium sized tips, maybe a tad larger). The depth of the seal isn't so much of a factor in me achieving a good seal it is if the tips themselves are wide enough to grip the walls of my ear canals to achieve the seal. I'm also not into ear rape :p. Note the Auvios are indeed a bit taller in size than the JVC and V-moda but not by much at all just as the V-moda and JVCs aren't that much wider. But it's enough so where adding in an extra tip to the Auvio (your mod) still won't work. It'll just lead my ears to getting irritated by the silicone rubbing up against the insides of my ears and still not getting a good seal (oxymoron).

It seems what you're trying to achieve is a vacuum seal, which I can't stand. It's like the iem is creating negative pressure on your eardrum, which hurts on insertion and removal. I think that's also kind of detrimental to the sound. Putting that kind of pressure on your drums seems like it would limit how much they could move and "react" to vibrations. That's why I prefer sawed off, wide bore foams on sealed BAs like the 334, SD3, XBA-3, etc.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #2,905 of 4,896

It seems what you're trying to achieve is a vacuum seal, which I can't stand. It's like the iem is creating negative pressure on your eardrum, which hurts on insertion and removal. I think that's also kind of detrimental to the sound. Putting that kind of pressure on your drums seems like it would limit how much they could move and "react" to vibrations. That's why I prefer sawed off, wide bore foams on sealed BAs like the 334, SD3, XBA-3, etc.

I usually will release the "vacuum"/"negative pressure" by lifting/tipping my 334 slightly from the bottom up. The seal is temporarily broken and the pressure balanced out and then the seal will be maintained again. They will sound way off if there's a vacuum or negative pressure.

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #2,906 of 4,896
Quote:

Nope I don't get a vacuum seal with these tips. It just gives me a good seal. With other smaller tips I don't get a seal at all. The only times I've really gotten vacuum seals is from the IEM housing themselves in conjunction with tips. Other than that I've never achieved such a seal with tips alone (Fit Ear 334, etc). It's basically my least favorite aspect about CIEMs. Hoping the SE5 will resolve this along with comfort issues.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #2,907 of 4,896
Quote:

Does the 334s housing also contribute to the seal? That thing felt like a CIEM with a vaccum-like seal :).

I  place the housing in the ears normally..no pressure to insert deep. I tip the housing from bottom to the desired angle and because the ortofon clings nicely to the ear sides, i can alter the position of the housing and they stay that way. I don't get a vacuum seal, but the ortofons isolate satisfactorily well. When I  take the fitear off, I do experience a mild suction cap feeling.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,908 of 4,896
I've been having a lot if issues with vacuum seal the last couple of days. I have no idea why, when for so long it's was very minor. Anyway, I'm going to use the TS500's tomorrow and hopefully get some relief. It's really made it difficult to listen for very long.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2,909 of 4,896
Quote:
I've been having a lot if issues with vacuum seal the last couple of days. I have no idea why, when for so long it's was very minor. Anyway, I'm going to use the TS500's tomorrow and hopefully get some relief. It's really made it difficult to listen for very long.

Is ir possible the tips have worn out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back