FitEar F111 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion (previously TO GO! 111)
Apr 5, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #271 of 902
Quote:
Do the Musica Acoustics actually say F111 on the monitor itself? 

Either way, not a fan of the alternative branding, so I may just wait.

The 111 is like an OEM product now...all the shops that sells them have to have their own names printed.

So you need to check the Fujiya Avic site to check if they are in stock as you want the F111 ones.....not sure of they ship though out of Japan though. 

http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail13281.html

Seems to still be on back order
size]

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #272 of 902
Thanks. Also, are the changes to the production of the 111s purely aethetic? Or do they make a big impact in terms of durability/sound?

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #273 of 902
Quote:
Thanks. Also, are the changes to the production of the 111s purely aethetic? Or do they make a big impact in terms of durability/sound?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597146/fitear-to-go-334-suyamas-custom-iem-made-universal/2010#post_9126690

Most of the changes listed there also applies to F111 as well, except for the stem/sound tube part obviously. So if we take Mr. Suyama's words at face value, the changes affect its durability, though he did guarantee that there won't be any changes in sound.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #276 of 902
Quote:
Hello all,

I might try to get [size=9pt][size=9pt]AK100-111is via Price[/size][/size] Japan, to pair with my Tera as the player is high impedance and does not like multi BA. Any thoughts ?

Michael

my thought is : please do so as it makes my job a lot easier to decide :-D

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #277 of 902
Quote:
I might try to get [size=9pt][size=9pt]AK100-111is via Price[/size][/size] Japan, to pair with my Tera as the player is high impedance and does not like multi BA. Any thoughts ?

Sounds like a nice idea --- one thing is that because the 10 ohm OI of the Tera is not as high as the 22 ohm OI of the AK100, so the AK100-111is paired with the Tera will sound *slightly* darker than a F111 paired with, say, a DX100.  Also, it seems like the Tera is already relaxed on the upper end? Honestly, I think the F111 can use a tiny bit more electrical underdamping still (if you want more UM Miracle-like sparkle), but it depends on how you want the sound to be: brighter or darker.

JM2C: If you're curious about the F111/AK100-111is, I'd say that the F111 won't suffer with 10 ohm extra OI, while the AK100-111is won't quite get to the AK100/AK100-111is pairing's synergy.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #278 of 902
Sounds like a nice idea --- one thing is that because the 10 ohm OI of the Tera is not as high as the 22 ohm OI of the AK100, so the AK100-111is paired with the Tera will sound *slightly* darker than a F111 paired with, say, a DX100.  Also, it seems like the Tera is already relaxed on the upper end? Honestly, I think the F111 can use a tiny bit more electrical underdamping still (if you want more UM Miracle-like sparkle), but it depends on how you want the sound to be: brighter or darker.

JM2C: If you're curious about the F111/AK100-111is, I'd say that the F111 won't suffer with 10 ohm extra OI, while the AK100-111is won't quite get to the AK100/AK100-111is pairing's synergy.

That is just the thing...the Tera has 2 jacks, superduper at 10 ohms and teramega at 20ohms...so the 20 ohms would certainly sound better with f111i than 10 ohms with f111 don't you think ?

My main concern is more to know if the f111 can compete with my other Iems :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #279 of 902
Quote:
That is just the thing...the Tera has 2 jacks, superduper at 10 ohms and teramega at 20ohms...so the 20 ohms would certainly sound better with f111i than 10 ohms with f111 don't you think ?
My main concern is more to know if the f111 can compete with my other Iems
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL awesome names... yeah, at 20 ohms, the AK100-111is would probably sound right in line with the F111 with an RWAK or something like that.

Are there supposed to be output sound differences between superduper and teramega, or do they just differ in OI?

Honestly, to me, it's a toss-up... owning an AK100-111is is certainly more unique.

For the F111, be ready for a really flat sound. It's one of those earphones that somehow makes it actually enjoyable to listen to a frequency sine sweep. Super-smooth transitions between frequencies, very, very few bumps and dips. Enjoyment-wise, musically, er, well, you need to be in the mood for a flat response. I enjoy the sound. YMMV, however.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #280 of 902
I am not sure what that sounds like :) never tried.very flat. Do not understand your question on the jacks :frowning2:
LOL awesome names... yeah, at 20 ohms, the AK100-111is would probably sound right in line with the F111 with an RWAK or something like that.

Are there supposed to be output sound differences between superduper and teramega, or do they just differ in OI?

Honestly, to me, it's a toss-up... owning an AK100-111is is certainly more unique.

For the F111, be ready for a really flat sound. It's one of those earphones that somehow makes it actually enjoyable to listen to a frequency sine sweep. Super-smooth transitions between frequencies, very, very few bumps and dips. Enjoyment-wise, musically, er, well, you need to be in the mood for a flat response. I enjoy the sound. YMMV, however.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #281 of 902
Curious about the fit of the F111s. The only IEMs that have fit me really well are the UM3X (quite a long barrel, decent fit) and the Ety HF5 (really just a thin barrel, fantastic fit with Sony hybrids). I currently own the W4, but the fit is only ok; the nozzle is a little bit shorter than I'd like. The Heir 4.Ai had the same problem and while they would fit decently, I never really not a seal with them. I was hoping that the F111 might have a better fit and that I won't have to resort to customs. It seems to be similar to the HF5 in shape and I was hoping that the cone didn't widen too early -- if anyone who's had them and the HF5/ER4 could have some input on that it would be great! Also, do Sony hybrids fit on the F111? I think someone mentioned earlier that he uses them. Thanks!

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #282 of 902
^^  I can almost guarantee (97%) you won't have any fit issues with the F111; you might, though, with with the much bulkier 334. I've never tried an Ety IEM (as noted earlier in the thread) but have owned both UM3X and W4 — had no fit issues with either but, like you, found the former had slightly better ergonomics. Never tried any of the Heir universals.

Yes, Sony hybrids can be used with the F111 (& TG 334), though you may find the stock tips good enough, like I did.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #283 of 902
Quote:
^^  I can almost guarantee (97%) you won't have any fit issues with the F111; you might, though, with with the much bulkier 334. I've never tried an Ety IEM (as noted earlier in the thread) but have owned both UM3X and W4 — had no fit issues with either but, like you, found the former had slightly better ergonomics. Never tried any of the Heir universals.

Yes, Sony hybrids can be used with the F111 (& TG 334), though you may find the stock tips good enough, like I did.

That's good to know. I'll see if I can trade the W4Rs for the F111s here. Probably won't get many takers, but I'll see.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #284 of 902
Recently I bought a pair of F111s when I was frustrated waiting for my Frogbeat C4 CIEMs to arrive.  In addition to the frustration, I also wanted something to compare the C4s to as all I had at the time was a set of PL50s.  I figured I could sell the F111s for good money when the C4s arrived and put them to shame.  Funny how these things turn out.

I loved the sound of the F111s,  can't say the same for the C4s. To me it wasn't even close as I wrote about over in the C4 Appreciation thread.  The F111s sounded very good with my Cowon J3, the C4 virtually unlistenable. Figuring it was due to a mismatch, I got first a Clip+ which improved the C4s quite a bit.  Then I got an Ibasso DX100. I had been tempted by it but went ahead as I felt uneasy about evaluating $800+ CIEMs based on a $45 DAP.

Well the DX100 arrived yesterday and it did improve the C4s sound but the sound with the F111s improved even more.  The F111s sounded better than the C4s and to me it's not even close.

The most obvious change was in the F111 bass. It's more extended and tighter, it assumes a much more prominent place in the performance. I listen almost exclusively to classical music and even on pieces without a strong bass component ( i.e. Schubert's String Quintet) the strong bass adds a lot to the robustness of the instruments character.

But the real shock for me was when I listened to some CSN. It was like hearing a completely different recording. There was so much more content that I'd never heard, and not just subtle things. The character of the playing was so much more varied and intense.  It brought back fond memories of the Stax, Marantz CD94/CDA94 setup I used to have.

I'm really impressed with the F111/DX100 combo, it's actually much more than I expected. I was hoping for subtle differences and wasn't prepared for the level of improvement I heard.  I love the coherence of the ensemble playing. The instruments are distinct and clearly placed and they maintain their proper relationships during the performance. With the C4s the Schubert String Quintet performance sounded like it was suffering from poor ensemble playing as the tonal relationships would subtly shift during the performance.

Across the board the character of the instruments was more clearly defined with the F111s compared to the C4s.  Also the space around the instruments is greater and the soundstage more stable. It's really obvious when a violin begins to wander a bit with the C4s compared the sitting there tightly with the F111s.

The only downside so far is there are more recordings that aren't that pleasant to listen to due to poor recording.  I noticed it immediately on a recording of Beethoven's 4th Piano concerto.

Now I am going to track down some hi-res recordings.

O.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #285 of 902
Well I bought recordings of Beethoven's 3,4,5th Piano Concertos from Linn.

Beethoven's Piano Concerto No 4 is one of my current recordings that just didn't cut it when played on the DX100/F111.  It's one of my favorite concertos and I was curious about hi-res sound so I bought a a 24/192 recording by Mackerras/Pizarro. Although I'm not enthralled with the performance (I fondly remember the Ivan Morevitz CD) the sound was just incredible. The textures and voices were so much clearer, lifelike, and with more detail than I've never heard before in a recording. I was sceptical about the difference hi-res would make but now I'm convinced it can be a significant improvement when the recording done well and one has a player and IEMs the quality of the F111s to play it.

Still curious, I bought the CD version on the 3rd movement for comparison. It sounds good but was like looking at a good reproduction of a Van Gogh painting instead of the real painting. Everything's less well defined, less vivid, less real.

The F111s ability to convey all the music that it's presented with is exceptional. Just when I thought I'd heard them at their best a recording like this comes along and blows my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back