FitEar F111 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion (previously TO GO! 111)
Nov 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #782 of 902
You'll have better luck getting the cheapest price for a new set with your contacts in Japan and have him/her ship it to you. As you probably discovered, else where they are grossly over priced.  If you haven't discovered already, the current price of approx. $425 on pricejapan/fujiya is the lowest price you can get them for and is the main distributor for Fitear with their universal products.  I had my Japan contact stop by at the Fitear location and confirm that is the set price.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #785 of 902
Not sure if this topic has been discussed before but I've just got a pair of the F111s today and they seem to have the same driver as the ER4
The driver number was just barely visible through the dark shell but yes I clearly peeked a 29689. Exactly the same in my ER4 reshell.

Woow does it sound better... been listening for 3 hours now and the best thing about them is the bigger, rounder soundstage while still maintaining what's 90% of the ER4 signature. None of that sound-being-injected-into-your-skull type.

Tuning iems can really go a long way.

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #786 of 902
  Not sure if this topic has been discussed before but I've just got a pair of the F111s today and they seem to have the same driver as the ER4
The driver number was just barely visible through the dark shell but yes I clearly peeked a 29689. Exactly the same in my ER4 reshell.

Woow does it sound better... been listening for 3 hours now and the best thing about them is the bigger, rounder soundstage while still maintaining what's 90% of the ER4 signature. None of that sound-being-injected-into-your-skull type.

Tuning iems can really go a long way.

Yeah, it's pretty impressive.  If they could achieve the full ety spectrum without requiring a funky fit the sound is an improvement to me.  It's more comfortable, yet somehow more dynamic in a way...

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #787 of 902
Normally I slightly prefer the ER-4S to the F111. Very slightly. However I recently picked up Ressonessence Labs Herus dac and the pairing with the F111 is just brilliant. It pushes the F111 ahead for me by a decent margin.

The downside of the Herus is that I really don't care for it with the K3K and JH13. I prefer both of those just straight from my iPhone, so it's not exactly a great all round device for me. But the synergy with the F111 is just awesome- deep bass is more palpable and best of all, the F111 treble is crisper. If for no other reason, I'll be keeping the Herus for this pairing alone.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #789 of 902
I know this may be a long shot request, but are there any F111/A111 owners located within CONUS curious and interested in a short audition swap (1 week) for my Tzar 350?  I think I've waited long enough, but I simply cannot pull the trigger without hearing all the pros with the Fitear.  Please, only PMs' from reputable members with credibility.  My short Tzar 350 impressions describe them as "cold and razor sharp scalpels."

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #791 of 902
It seems like people who are complaining about the impact and quantity of the bass of the F111s aren't pairing them up with a good source. I have found that the F111s sound noticeably fuller and bassier when plugged into low output impedance sources. Sometimes it evens seems too much and I have to switch to a higher output impedance device.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #793 of 902
  Do any head-fiers know the impedance of the F111? Thanks.

BAs have variable impedance; the lowest plateau (what you should care about) of the F111 is about 5-7 ohms, which is basically anywhere <500 Hz.

If you want the best bass control (i.e. highest damping factor) out of the F111, use something with the lowest possible output impedance, e.g. FiiO X3 (~0.12 ohms into PrismSound DScope Series III), Resonessence Herus (0.2 ohms into AP SYS2722), etc.

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #794 of 902
First, I would like to thank gnarls for lending me his F111 to finally audition this great iem.  I've been on the fence many times in the past year on purchasing it, but never pulled the trigger because of the correlation with the ER4S (owned 3x) and the huge price gap between the two let alone the relative scarcity of the F111.  I wish I still had my ER4S for direct comparison. So, consequently, any comparison involving it is based on my audible memory. 

In retrospect, what I always liked about the Etymotic sound is the ability to make me believe I'm at a comfortable distance to the music sources, and the ability to resonate a natural and realistic sound. You'll never find me in the first five rows of a concert or wanting to stand on stage with the performer(s).  The perception of air is dry, dull, and over time a little claustrophobic, which is why I was never able to listen with the ER4S for more than an hour or two at time.  However, I will tell you this, "The first hour of listening with the ER4S is magical with some of the best treble I've heard in a portable application."  Then, the soreness and itch would set it, along with the unanswered wish for a little more low end impact on many of my tracks, and call it for the day.

Despite the use of identical drivers, the design specifications makes the two seem as distant cousins rather than siblings.  If I had to quickly describe the experience between the two, the ER4S is like looking through a high definition (HD) monocular scope with just your good eye. The F111 is like looking through a a pair of Swarovski HD binoculars.  For me the largest differences between the two is the widen soundstage with the F111 along with a slight increase of bass quantity.  I believe the design of the titanium sound tube with a horn shape exit along with a shallower insertion are responsible for this.

I find both are highly detailed, but I would bet the ER4S is perceived to pull even greater detail due to its more narrow stage and the much deeper insertion.  The F111 has a nice and warm touch over the cold ER4S, but never to the point of taking away from the flat and balanced sound presentation. 

So, what does the F111 bring to the table over ER4S?  One word - COMFORT.  I have never worn a more comfortable iem or ciem.  There must be some deliberation with company calling themselves "FITEAR."  I appreciate the more shallow ear tip insertion depth over the ER4S triple flange and ear glider tips.  I can see myself wearing the F111 with my Monster foam supertips for 24/7.

Both are robust in construction and first rate, but I give the Etys' a tip of the hat should they got dropped or stepped on. By design, I've always considered the ER4S professional grade and pretty much everything else professional and/or consumer/audiophile grade, which I would place the F111.  The F111 stock cable construction reminds me of the Ortofon EQ5 cable.

From my short audition with the F111, Fitear's tribute towards the ER4S is evident by maintaining most of the Ety house sound, but improving upon it in terms of immediate and long term comfort, providing a little wetness to the dry, and really hitting it home for a very enjoying experience.  If I had to provide a complaint, it would be the scant Grado-like approach with accessories, but at least you get a mesh bag with the F111; although, I find a small, hard zippered case much more practical.

Is the F111 worth the price over the legendary ER4S?  I can wholeheartedly say, "Yes"; but my wallet says, "NO!"

Thanks again, gnarls. I look forward to your impressions with my Tzar 350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back