First post: Any suggestions for portable headphones under $150? EDIT: ATH-M50 question...
Jul 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RyeToast

New Head-Fier
I am a complete newbie to nice headphones. I've known nothing but my apple earbuds since I started getting into music a few years ago. Now they're getting broken and such and I want to learn what some possibilities are. :)

I need them to be portable first. I'll basically be using them with my ipod and laptop, and wearing them either on my head or around my neck as I sit in my house or walking around at my college or even on my bike (until I get some IEMs) and I don't want them breaking. Of course, I also don't want to look dorky. :p So I want on-ear. (Unless there are some over-ear phones that don't look dorky walking around with them on?) And I want closed back so I can use them in quiet places and such. 

Also. As I am rather on the vain side for a 19 year old boy, I would like them to be... cool looking? I like the look of Monster Beats Solo... Aerial7's Tank.... WeSC Bag Pipe... and even some of the less garish Skull Candy. Even though I know that none of them are good headphones. (Or in the case of the Beats, for the price) 

I was looking at Sennheiser HD 228 's... they look cool enough. :p If you got something flashy, though... :)

I listen to a wide variety of things, from techno, to acoustic ballads... hard rock and pop punk. Whatever's good. I would like something that makes soft voices, piano keys, and acoustic guitars sound good, but I have to admit. I really do like nice bass. :D

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 9
like you, I'm pretty new to nice headphones.  I've only had one pair: Shure SE210s.  I've really enjoyed them, and I think they are a good "gateway" IEM, but again, take my word with a grain of salt, as I am definitlely NOT the expert here.  You do have to mess around to find the right tips in order to get a good seal and in order to get good bass.  I think there is a burn in period, because mine sound much better than my dad's, who doesn't use them as much.  They are an older model though.  Just make sure you get them from an authorized dealer so you get the 2 year warranty.  

For slightly more, you could get the ultimate ears 700, which are supposed to be great.  That is above your price point though.  A really good review site is ilounge.com.

Hopefully this post will spur others into posting to correct my recommendations :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-44-portable-headphones-compared-sony-mdr-xb500-alessandro-ms1-added-07-08

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 9
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-44-portable-headphones-compared-sony-mdr-xb500-alessandro-ms1-added-07-08

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 9
Koss KSC-75.  $20 and a huge upgrade to anything you've heard.  They look and sound very good.

The best thing about them is that they'll hold you over until you are ready for a real upgrade.  After you make an upgrade, you can still use them as your "open" headphones.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 9
I like the look of the ATH-M50's. They sound like excellent headphones for around $100. :)

Two questions: are these "headphone monitors" good for regular listening and not mixing or whatever? I *am* just going to be listening to my ipod. I saw some blogs talking about how they're meant for studio monitoring...

Second: How big are these? Can I wear them walking around? I'm not a terribly good judge of what looks good. And I'm not into the dorky look. hahaha. :p

If those are answered, consider 'em bought. ;-D

And thank you all, people here are superbly helpful! :D

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I like the look of the ATH-M50's. They sound like excellent headphones for around $100. :)

Two questions: are these "headphone monitors" good for regular listening and not mixing or whatever? I *am* just going to be listening to my ipod. I saw some blogs talking about how they're meant for studio monitoring...

Second: How big are these? Can I wear them walking around? I'm not a terribly good judge of what looks good. And I'm not into the dorky look. hahaha. :p

If those are answered, consider 'em bought. ;-D

And thank you all, people here are superbly helpful! :D

1: Of course you can use these for regular listening. I remember a while back, I tried a pair of Sony V6's. They were studio monitoring headphones, but still sounded fairly good for regular listening too. You can use the ATH-M50's straight of your iPod. However, if you still read Head-Fi after getting the M50's, then you will be forced to purchase a portable amp, a LOD, etc.

2: Google Images is your friend:
moz-screenshot-2.png
Looks fine on this guy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/penmachine/1382224103/

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 9
^^ I agree. I use mine straight out of my iPod Nano and Classic. Sound great! (yeah, yeah, yeah... better with amp...).
wink_face.gif

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back