FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 2, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #1,096 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried the AD2000 and ESW9 with the uDAC? I'm having both of them coming this weekend and curious how they would sound together. I'd guess they would be a great match, considering both of the uDac and AD2000 have forward mids.

I found that the uDAC actually has slightly recessed upper mids, slightly emphasized or colored lower mids. That's compared to DACs that are more evenly neutral. Not sure how that pairs up with the AD2000 as I've never heard it before, and have never read about it. But just to clarify your statement a little.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #1,097 of 1,841
another great review, i read it twice, this was extra helpful in helping me gauge the differences between other amps from my predator(which specs are lacking and has been a pain)
i was gonna try the d4, but i am def. going with this for usb, if only she had a toslink input this would be perfect for my office cd player,, i think u mentioned one that had toslink? the superpro?

anywho so the d4 running 5v is less or equal power to d10 and predator(very good to know thankyou) but how about the pico (assuming that runs on 5v via usb)

very helpful review

3 cheers 4 u

ps. lol i like how you have dedicated sybilant tracks for testing

pps now im thinking for usb the udac not the d4, for my cd player tolink out, the superpro not the d10 or go vibe vulcan, and for my portable the sr71a not my predator or the iqube(asssuming the sr71 is smae size as qube), my main amp will remain the triad audio lisa III.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #1,098 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another great review, i read it twice, this was extra helpful in helping me gauge the differences between other amps from my predator(which specs are lacking and has been a pain)
i was gonna try the d4, but i am def. going with this for usb, if only she had a toslink input this would be perfect for my office cd player,, i think u mentioned one that had toslink? the superpro?

anywho so the d4 running 5v is less or equal power to d10 and predator(very good to know thankyou) but how about the pico (assuming that runs on 5v via usb)

very helpful review

3 cheers 4 u

ps. lol i like how you have dedicated sybilant tracks for testing

pps now im thinking for usb the udac not the d4, for my cd player tolink out, the superpro not the d10 or go vibe vulcan, and for my portable the sr71a not my predator or the iqube(asssuming the sr71 is smae size as qube), my main amp will remain the triad audio lisa III.

Pico runs on an 8.4v LiPo battery (9v charger), and is about as powerful as the D4 when D4 is using 9v. Both at 9v are more powerful than the uDAC at 5v.

Yeah, if you grab gear that is specialized in one area, then it can focus on excelling in that one area. * If you need an amp more powerful than your Predator the D4 will do it, but the SR71 with a pair of 9v batteries will do it even better (i.e. for HD600). * If you want better USB performance than the D10, the uDAC or D4 will do that, * but the Super Pro optical will come very close to the D10 optical (just as good when you add a linear regulated psu). * So, getting both the uDAC with Super Pro will cost less than the D10 but give you better USB performance without giving up much on the optical end (as long as you have an amp for the Super Pro.)

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #1,099 of 1,841
40 hours burn in with electrostats...impressive micro detail....improved overall soundstage...improved lower bass impact....speed I think now up to par with electrostats...$99.00...I might have just robbed Nuforce....shhh don't tell on me.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #1,100 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
40 hours burn in with electrostats...impressive micro detail....improved overall soundstage...improved lower bass impact....speed I think now up to par with electrostats...$99.00...I might have just robbed Nuforce....shhh don't tell on me.

I feel similar.

Just got it a few days ago, haven't had huge time to listen but running some TOOL flac files through it's headphone output into my TF10's and I am doing some serious OMG'ing over here.

Well done NuForce. This lil beast is amazing.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #1,101 of 1,841
I just received a uDAC (from an Australian reseller) and I agree with Larry, the uDAC definately outperforms my DIYKITS '2009' USB Super Pro 707 ( the most recent black version apparently with I2S to the DAC from USB). It is more detailed, doesn't have the slight hump around 125hz the 707 seems to have, and is a little more forward - bringing out vocals nicely. Definitely an improvement, and for less money, no need for a power adapter, awesome headphone amp (sounds incredible with the RE0), it seems like a no brainer budget option.
biggrin.gif
Thanks so much for recommending it!

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #1,102 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received a uDAC (from an Australian reseller) and I agree with Larry, the uDAC definately outperforms my DIYKITS '2009' USB Super Pro 707 ( the most recent black version apparently with I2S to the DAC from USB). It is more detailed, doesn't have the slight hump around 125hz the 707 seems to have, and is a little more forward - bringing out vocals nicely. Definitely an improvement, and for less money, no need for a power adapter, awesome headphone amp (sounds incredible with the RE0), it seems like a no brainer budget option.
biggrin.gif
Thanks so much for recommending it!

Glad you like the uDAC. I'm still enjoying it, and like you said it's an improvement over the competition in this size and price. It's great for not having to worry about battery or wall power with my Macbook. I'd like to find a 6-8 inch USB cable with the type-B jack though. I have a few that short with the mini-USB.

To really enjoy my Super Pro DAC 707 I have to use my 24v Sigma 11 PSU , as the stock PSU sucks. I have the older purple version from DIYKITS that I got from them on eBay a long while back, and with the Sigma 11 the optical sounds pretty close to the HR Micro DAC I have here. I mostly liked for budget optical input in a small extra rig that I had in the basement. Now my main rig is down there, and the Super Pro sits in a box un-used except for occasional comparisons with other DACs.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #1,107 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by semaniaci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry or someone are you able to compare uDAC and diymod?

At some point I could try feeding my iMod into the Amphora, and also the uDAC, and then I can play the same music and flip a switch between sources to compare them. I just can when I will get around to that. In my Amphora review I posted my thoughts about iMod vs Apogee mini-DAC, with the mini-DAC coming out a little ahead.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #1,108 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originally Posted by donunus
Again I want to confirm that the uDac is one awesome product. Its just making me enjoy the music

Couldn't agree more! Though my wife thinks I'm cheating on her
beyersmile.png

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #1,109 of 1,841
Has anyone here used either the Sennheiser HD595 or HD650 with the Nuforce uDAC? This seems like a pretty cheap amp that I could buy. However, I'm not sure if it pairs up well wtih either the HD595 or HD650.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #1,110 of 1,841
headphone addict... or anyone else, what position do you run your uDAC volume knob at when using the rca outs? 10oclock? or lower or higher. just trying to find the right spot. Is there any technical change in signal out that would make it better to run the uDAC up higher and amp lower or visa versa? thanks for the input. Happy listening
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back