FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 31, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #1,081 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzVinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We still need a shootout between uDAC and the y1 Gamma.

I live close enough to HPA to bring him my y1 if he is interested in doing a uDAC/y1 comparison...

Whatdayasay, Larry?

We should do a mini-meet together to compare them. The y1 via coax that I heard last year was very good. I never got to try via USB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just read your more than outstanding review of the Udac and noticed that you mentioned the SuperPro DAC707. I have never heard of this Dac up until now and noticed you said that you recommend the SuperPro DAC707 for optical input. I was just wondering since it would be nice to get rid of one of my soundcards (Xonar Essence STX 49720 Op Amps) and replace it with the SuperPro DAC707 so I can still get the effects for my games (I'd still have the Forte).

I am unsure If I should choose the SuperPro DAC707 over the Udac though, as I don't know how closely sounding the SuperPro DAC707 is to the Udac.

My setup is as follows

Xonar Essence STX (49720 OP Amps)--> Little Dot MK III Amp---> HD600's

I am pretty much looking for a dedicated Dac. It would be nice to keep my gaming effects but not entirely needed if the Udac surpasses the SuperPro DAC707.

I don't play computer games, so I can't comment in that area (PSP racing games and DS Lite Mario Kart are all I play).

The Super Pro DAC707 pretty much requires my Sigma 11 PSU to get the sound quality up to the uDAC's level. But with the stock switching PSU the Super Pro can sometimes be grainy or edgy, and it lacks the refinement of the uDAC, Micro DAC or Pico DAC. But, I felt for the price is was good, and had a lot of features. But even with Sigma 11 the Super Pro USB performance is slightly below the uDAC, although the optical input's performance is pretty close to the uDAC (and Micro DAC via optical).

The problem is that the Super Pro with a Sigma 11 PSU is 3x more expensive than the uDAC. Prior to the uDAC, the Super Pro was "the" budget DAC that I was recommending, while telling people with low funds to use the stock PSU until they could get the Sigma 11. But now I recommend the uDAC for my top budget DAC in this price range.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #1,084 of 1,841
I know this is one of this is one of those fairly difficult to answer questions, but has anyone compared the uDac to a medium-high quality DIY dac/amp setup?

For example I was planning to build a Gamma1 lite dac & CK2III amp - which would ring up at least $250USD - I wonder how the uDac would compare to this or a similar quality set up? (Alien dac, Bantam dac, CTH, Starving Student, PA2V2 etc)

I'd be using the uDac as a complete dac / amp setup.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #1,085 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is one of this is one of those fairly difficult to answer questions, but has anyone compared the uDac to a medium-high quality DIY dac/amp setup?

For example I was planning to build a Gamma1 lite dac & CK2III amp - which would ring up at least $250USD - I wonder how the uDac would compare to this or a similar quality set up? (Alien dac, Bantam dac, CTH, Starving Student, PA2V2 etc)

I don't have any such amps but I don't think the uDAC would suffice as a complete amp/dac set-up. What would be interesting is how the DAC compares to the DAC sections of other amp/dacs or pure dacs.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #1,086 of 1,841
I have a new thread up for the Nuforce HDP but, I have not gotten to compare the HDP to any other DACs or Amps yet. I have tested it with a variety of full size phones and IEM, and used it as a DAC preamp for an electrostatic headphone rig, taking the place of the uDAC in that rig: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/rev...7/#post6362513

So, we'll keep this thread limited to uDAC discussions if possible, so we don't get derailed. I see the HDP as more of a competitor to my Apogee mini-DAC and PS Audio Digital Link III. I've always maintained the uDAC was comfortable and competitive in the $99-$399 price range, but who knows, I may find it very close to the HDP. However, I wont speculate till the HDP is burned in and the review is completed, and I would like to avoid going there this early in the game.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #1,087 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Specwise that is pretty respectable, about the same as the Zero 24/192 but if the SNR is about 100db you are really getting a bit under 17 bits not 24 bits, not that anyone can tell the difference...

SNR is > 100db and the spec was created before we are able to take final measurement so we don't want to be too aggressive.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #1,088 of 1,841
I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and just got my udac. As Jason predicted, my system recognized the udac immediately (I selected USB Audio under Sound preferences). I'm very pleased with the udac so far.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #1,089 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd really love to see a comparison between. uDac and Gamma-1. My friend is trying to sell me a Gamma-1 lite (USB only) for $75. I could hardly find any reviews or impressions about it. It's so hard to decide without a frame of reference.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #1,090 of 1,841
Doh was ready to buy a uDAC today but the black is out of stock, does anyone know if the Amazon Nuforce shop would ship to Canada and if so how much would it cost total?

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #1,092 of 1,841
Awesome Lil'Knight, I went to their website and was chatting with someone within 30 seconds. All details were cleared up within a few minutes and I should have product shipped to me by end of this week. Shipping is expected to take 4 business days so hopefully I should have a black uDAC by the end of next week.

edit: corrected a typo.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #1,093 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, it's close. Closer than I want it to be, considering how much the WA6 and Pico is.
redface.gif
It powers it well enough, and I feel that the difference is subtle between the two rigs (with only K701 funny enough; it's no comparison with my 650 and RS1, my main rig does those MUCH better). It could be mainly the DAC differences, though... I never felt that the Pico DAC is a good match for the K701 because it has a slight boost in upper mids and treble (compared to uDAC and DAC Straight that I've had), which is not something that it needs. While the uDAC alone does K701 well enough, uDAC -> WA6 is even better! Unfortunately, I only have 1 uDAC and it needs to be in my secondary rig, so I can't really use it to feed the WA6 without effort (Pico's a better match for my HD650 and RS1/Flats however).

Just wanted to say thanks for posting on the synergy between the K701 and the uDac. I was curious about this headphone in the past, but hesitant to buy it since it is reportedly particular about the amp it's mated to. Since I already had the uDac, I decided to give the K701 a try. I'm enjoying it quite a bit with only a few hours of burn in and look forward to hearing it once fully burned in.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #1,094 of 1,841
I went a little crazy and purchased the ATH-AD900 and the nuforce uDac for my first stumble into decent headphones. They both should, hopefully, be here sometime this week. That was my budget and the AD900 seemed appropriately fit for my wide range of music (ambient, acoustic, female vocals, folk, layered indie pop, etc). Does the headphone and uDac compliment each other well enough? My onboard sound has been a bit wonky and I didn't want to buy a soundcard, so I opted for a dac.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #1,095 of 1,841
Anyone tried the AD2000 and ESW9 with the uDAC? I'm having both of them coming this weekend and curious how they would sound together. I'd guess they would be a great match, considering both of the uDac and AD2000 have forward mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back