FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 4, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #1,111 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here used either the Sennheiser HD595 or HD650 with the Nuforce uDAC? This seems like a pretty cheap amp that I could buy. However, I'm not sure if it pairs up well wtih either the HD595 or HD650.

I'm not really enjoying the HD650 (older version) with the udac. The sound is dull, flat and too warm.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #1,112 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not really enjoying the HD650 (older version) with the udac. The sound is dull, flat and too warm.

That's what I predicted would happen with HD650 in another thread where I tried to talk a guy into the HD600 for his uDAC instead. The HD650 are difficult to match with an inexpensive amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headphone addict... or anyone else, what position do you run your uDAC volume knob at when using the rca outs? 10oclock? or lower or higher. just trying to find the right spot. Is there any technical change in signal out that would make it better to run the uDAC up higher and amp lower or visa versa? thanks for the input. Happy listening
k701smile.gif

If your amp's input is not overdriven with the uDAC volume at 100% then use that. I prefer to have the source turned up as opposed to the amp, since some amps at 80-100% on the volume knob will have noise, hiss or hum audible.

If the amp does sound distorted with the uDAC at 100%, lower the volume to 90% and listen, then 80% and lower if needed until the clipping on the input is not heard anymore.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #1,113 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What do you mean HD 650 older version? Are you telling me that there are different versions of the HD650?

Can someone else chime in on the pairing of the HD650 with the Nuforce?

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #1,114 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I predicted would happen with HD650 in another thread where I tried to talk a guy into the HD600 for his uDAC instead. The HD650 are difficult to match with an inexpensive amp.

What would you recommend to match up with the HD650 then?

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #1,115 of 1,841
The tricky part about the clipping is to determine if it is due to the overload or if it is present in the recording itself. Most recordings that are "hot" enough to make the input clip are likely to be clipping by itself anyway... So I suggest turning the udac to the lowest possible volume while remaining audible to see if the clipping is not from the original file. Then turn it up to the highest point where no clipping is added except for what was already there in the original recording.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #1,116 of 1,841
Actually, what I do myself is leave my amps volume at its sweet spot(12 O Clock) then I use the udac as a passive preamp. That way, no unnecessary clipping occurs. At 12 o clock on my ld mk2(at gain 10) most recordings are already very loud so I could never get to the part of the udacs volume control where it clips at the input level of the amp. Hope that made sense
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #1,117 of 1,841
anyone's got photos of the inside possibly? would hate to find out that it's got nasty 2134/2604 opamps in there
redface.gif

and how does it handle different sample rates? proprietary KS drivers?

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #1,118 of 1,841
Quote:

If the uDAC were to output to another amp (say, the Audio-gd C2-C) would this dullness and warmness be alleviated?

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #1,120 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the uDAC were to output to another amp (say, the Audio-gd C2-C) would this dullness and warmness be alleviated?

First of all lets put it this way. The c2c gives more dullness to the chain than the uDac. The udac gives the mids more life, not dullness.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #1,122 of 1,841
yah the chip is really cheap if you buy them by 10,000pc bulks but it doesn't matter cause this thing sounds good. In the end, it is still hard to do better for the price.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #1,123 of 1,841
Quote:

At some point I could try feeding my iMod into the Amphora, and also the uDAC, and then I can play the same music and flip a switch between sources to compare them. I just can when I will get around to that. In my Amphora review I posted my thoughts about iMod vs Apogee mini-DAC, with the mini-DAC coming out a little ahead.

yes. this seems to be good comparasion. so please don´t forget to share your information about test
smile.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #1,124 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yah the chip is really cheap if you buy them by 10,000pc bulks but it doesn't matter cause this thing sounds good. In the end, it is still hard to do better for the price.

ok! but why capping a 24/192 DAC w/ a 16/48 USB chip? noone would have minded paying 2 more dollars to get 24/96 USB...maybe they wanted to avoid killing competition w/ their more expensive models
devil_face.gif

and how does it handle 44.1/48? bit-perfect KS?

PS: and how does $99 on the US site turn into 115€ on the european site? in case someone goofed up 1 EUR = 0.67 USD

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #1,125 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok! but why capping a 24/192 DAC w/ a 16/48 USB chip? noone would have minded paying 2 more dollars to get 24/96 USB...maybe they wanted to avoid killing competition w/ their more expensive models
devil_face.gif

What makes you think the synchronous USB costs 2 dollars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back