FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #841 of 877
I received the udac-2.

I had some problems with it. Maybe this is normal..(and i don't know how to describe this) but it seems to doesn't support "a lot sounds at the same time" or very very  "High Frecuency sounds for prolonged time" (like in Classical Music).

For instance, sometimes when I am playing classical FLAC music, or non-voice FLAC music (soundtracks, etc) with clean noise..i hear strange short-explosions.

Then i found a cool-way to test this...going to "Skype" --> "Control + F" --> "vhjsdkjhalk" ---> And maintain ENTER.

This trick makes a lot of repetitive sounds and the anomalies appears in the speakers.

Then i tried the same thing with the XtremeMusic but there are no anomalies...it's constant (ugly..sounds but constants, with no little explosions on the speakers).

Of course i tried this in all volumes with all the combinations between (FOOBAR2000 volume; Windows UDAC-2 Volume, UDAC-2 Analog Volume, KRK RP6G2 Volume).

Also tried this with my Headphones and i had the same problem.

This is normal or maybe my unit is in a bad state?

This kind of sound sometimes just comes from the SOURCE Music...but in this case it just comes from the Dac.

Regards.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #842 of 877

Quote:
The uDAC-2 can heat up with IEM too.  Sometimes it runs cooler than other times, and at times it runs hot.  It doesn't seem to be a problem, and Nuforce says not to worry.

I have never heard of such a thing happening, where a USB accessory makes the computer do these funny things.  So, I can't help there at all.  It could be anything.

Sorry, but indeed in several instances when it becomes hot it starrts to sound terrible, you need to unplug it and plug it back again. This happened to my uDac and also to the uDac-2. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #843 of 877

Quote:
Sorry, but indeed in several instances when it becomes hot it starrts to sound terrible, you need to unplug it and plug it back again. This happened to my uDac and also to the uDac-2. 

IF I zap it with static it can get very hot, and in that case unplugging it and plugging back in fixes it.  It can make funny sounds when zapped with static as well, but it is fixed when I unplug and plug it in.  Otherwise mine is very well behaved.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #844 of 877
Is the problem i have normal? I want to know whether need to send to my product to RMA.

I can't use it neither for Skype conversation.
That random explosion noise is annoying me listening music, playing a game or talking.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #845 of 877
when udac 2 is not connect, the sound configure says 2 - Nuforce uDac. Is that normal? I thought it's gonna say Nuforce uDac - 2. Because there is no visual difference between uDac and uDac 2. I just want to make sure.

Anyone?

Lee

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #847 of 877

Quote:
Is the problem i have normal? I want to know whether need to send to my product to RMA.

I can't use it neither for Skype conversation.
That random explosion noise is annoying me listening music, playing a game or talking.

Not normal, but I can't rule out your PC or software as the problem.  

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #849 of 877
Not sure if someone asked this before. Some say the uDac/uDac2 has a weak amp section and will not handle any Beyer well. However, looking at the spec, both the udac and udac2 have enough power to drive the 32ohm and even the 250ohm Beyer, is this correct?

I have been thinking to get a pair of Beyer for a while but I don't plan to make any investment on the dac/amp anymore. So I will be getting whichever (32 or 250) can be driven by my uDac2 to their full potential.

Anyone?

Thanks

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #850 of 877

Quote:
Not sure if someone asked this before. Some say the uDac/uDac2 has a weak amp section and will not handle any Beyer well. However, looking at the spec, both the udac and udac2 have enough power to drive the 32ohm and even the 250ohm Beyer, is this correct?

I have been thinking to get a pair of Beyer for a while but I don't plan to make any investment on the dac/amp anymore. So I will be getting whichever (32 or 250) can be driven by my uDac2 to their full potential.

Anyone?

Thanks

The only Beyer I ever liked was the T1 (but not enough to buy one).  Why don't you consider a headphone that many people have recommended as pairing well with the uDAC-2, which are all over this thread?

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #851 of 877
the only reason i want to try some beyers is that i never owned any and want to give them a try before i buy back my ms1:)

seems like beyers don't like nuforce much:), which was one of the reason i didn't buy them when i owned my HDP.

anyway, i will keep looking

thanks for your input.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #852 of 877

Quote:
Not normal, but I can't rule out your PC or software as the problem.  

I Solved my problem.
I contacted NuForce Support and they told me that some people fixed this problem using this Powered (connected to 110-240v) USB Hub.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044F63TY/sr=8-21/qid=1323294350/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1323294350&sr=8-21&seller=

With that USB HUB i solved my problem (or at least 99% solved). 
I had this problem in many PC like my Macbook Air and my main desktop PC.  

This USB Hub feeds well my uDac 2. I think future uDacs should have an alternative Powered solution. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #853 of 877
This has probably been discussed elsewhere, but as I'm on a business trip out of town, time is limited, and so it is too difficult to hunt this down - has anyone compared the udac 2 to the udac 2 se  for use with a pc (i see headphone addict did a comparison with a mac)  i know the latter is asynchronous.  i will be using one or the other with my laptop on business trips, and will be using my IEMs (typically klipsch x5's, but possibly my shure e500) directly plugged into the udac 2 or udac 2 se.  the background noise i get from my asus ul20a laptop using the klipsch x5 directly plugged in to the laptop has finally gotten to me :)   bottom line:  is it worth it going for the special edition or is this overkill?  do i need to use foobar2 with it, or can i use it with winamp or itunes?   (i know, i know ... itunes...).  my os is windows 7 64bit...

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #854 of 877

Quote:
This has probably been discussed elsewhere, but as I'm on a business trip out of town, time is limited, and so it is too difficult to hunt this down - has anyone compared the udac 2 to the udac 2 se  for use with a pc (i see headphone addict did a comparison with a mac)  i know the latter is asynchronous.  i will be using one or the other with my laptop on business trips, and will be using my IEMs (typically klipsch x5's, but possibly my shure e500) directly plugged into the udac 2 or udac 2 se.  the background noise i get from my asus ul20a laptop using the klipsch x5 directly plugged in to the laptop has finally gotten to me :)   bottom line:  is it worth it going for the special edition or is this overkill?  do i need to use foobar2 with it, or can i use it with winamp or itunes?   (i know, i know ... itunes...).  my os is windows 7 64bit...

The improvement will be fairly subtle with just using the X5 IEM, but you should be able to appreciate it.  Where I see the biggest reason to go with the Assync version is in feeding the eDAC-2 SE into a more expensive amp where you want to squeeze everything you can from your source.  However, you have to install an assync USB driver on the PC to use the upgraded version.  http://www.nuforce.com/hp/support/faq-asynUSB.php

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #855 of 877
I think that, as I would be getting this really just for travel (many business trips!) and portability, it might make sense just to stick with the base udac-2 for now.  For the good stuff, i have my ipod-algorhythm solo-sr71a combination (or my imod/sr71a combo).  Frankly, what I really want to do is get rid of the hiss from the laptop (really mainly apparent just with the X5 IEMs), especially as I like to watch TV shows and/or youtube clips off the computer (I'm a big German cop  show fan).  I do listen, though, when I'm overseas, to my itunes off the computer (don't like to travel with the CLAS, as that's just one more thing I can lose while travelling).  Since Crutchfield offers the udac-2 for $109 (with a 20 dollar off coupon), I guess I can always get that and then do the 140 dollar upgrade (comes out the same price-wise) if I decide to go for the SE (which looks nicer, if nothing else :)).  My guess is that there'll be a udac-3 pretty soon, knowing my luck, right after i buy the udac-2, but hopefully nuforce will offer an upgrade path for that as well! 

(OT:  For my work station, I use the headroom ultramicro stack - I believe not asynchronous - but a very nice set up, with some (urp!) old bose powered speakers - the stack sounds great with my GS1000 cans and even with the speakers!)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back