FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Apr 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #856 of 877

Quote:
I think that, as I would be getting this really just for travel (many business trips!) and portability, it might make sense just to stick with the base udac-2 for now.  For the good stuff, i have my ipod-algorhythm solo-sr71a combination (or my imod/sr71a combo).  Frankly, what I really want to do is get rid of the hiss from the laptop (really mainly apparent just with the X5 IEMs), especially as I like to watch TV shows and/or youtube clips off the computer (I'm a big German cop  show fan).  I do listen, though, when I'm overseas, to my itunes off the computer (don't like to travel with the CLAS, as that's just one more thing I can lose while travelling).  Since Crutchfield offers the udac-2 for $109 (with a 20 dollar off coupon), I guess I can always get that and then do the 140 dollar upgrade (comes out the same price-wise) if I decide to go for the SE (which looks nicer, if nothing else :)).  My guess is that there'll be a udac-3 pretty soon, knowing my luck, right after i buy the udac-2, but hopefully nuforce will offer an upgrade path for that as well! 

(OT:  For my work station, I use the headroom ultramicro stack - I believe not asyncrhonous - but a very nice set up, with some (urp!) old bose powered speakers - the stack sounds great with my GS1000 cans and even with the speakers!)...

Well, this will get rid of the hiss from your laptop, and the uDAC-2 RCA output sounds very much like my Pico DAC-only RCA out.  So, you could also feed the uDAC-2 into the SR-71a and get an upgrade in both DAC and amp over what you have in the laptop. I think the uDAC-2 sounds good with most of my IEM, especially my Westone ES5.

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #857 of 877
Thanks Larry - this sounds like the ticket, though, like all us headphone addicts, I have a feeling that sooner or later, I'll go for the SE, "just so."  I hope - for once - I'll be happy with what I've got and fight that evil urge!   (After all, I've been living with this hiss for a few years already!)

May 16, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #858 of 877
Got the UDAC-2 and it definitely got rid of the hiss from my laptop - well worth the price!  So, if I wanted to daisy chain my Ray Samuels SR-71A to the UDAC-2, how would I do so?  Via the RCA outs on the UDAC-2 to the input jack on the SR-71A?  Would my volume control on the UDAC-2 then be disabled (that is, would I use the volume control on the SR-71A?)   Would I essentially be double-amping (UDAC-2's amp and then the SR-71A)?   Has anyone tried this combination before?  Is it worth it?

May 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #859 of 877
Quote:
Got the UDAC-2 and it definitely got rid of the hiss from my laptop - well worth the price!  So, if I wanted to daisy chain my Ray Samuels SR-71A to the UDAC-2, how would I do so?  Via the RCA outs on the UDAC-2 to the input jack on the SR-71A?  Would my volume control on the UDAC-2 then be disabled (that is, would I use the volume control on the SR-71A?)   Would I essentially be double-amping (UDAC-2's amp and then the SR-71A)?   Has anyone tried this combination before?  Is it worth it?

The RCA out go through the uDAC-2 volume knob but are not amplified - it's a 2V output right from the DAC.  Get an RCA>mini interconnect cable to plug into your SR-71b.  I've tried it and it works well.

You can set the uDAC-2 volume to anywhere between 3-5 o'clock and then control your listening volume with the SR-71b.

May 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #861 of 877
Oh sweet music!!!  Listening right now with my Klipsch Image X5 (not my JH-13s, yet!), hooked up to my RSA-SR-71A hooked up to my UDAC-2 hooked up to my ASUS UL20A laptop (really doesn't take up that much real estate, even though it may sound like it does!).  I'm using the upgraded Nuforce cable from the laptop to the UDAC-2 (cost me approximately 12 dollars, with the past customer discount), and a simple Radio Shack RCA to mini cable ($3.30, with a five dollar off coupon).  The SR-71A is strapped neatly onto my Imod (5.5g, with the 80gb hard drive), but of course, the Imod is disconnected right now).  This whole set up will fit very nicely in my computer back pack for taking with me on my many extended business trips.  (The JH-13 stays at home!)

I still have my old Shure E500s to try out with this set up.  I can say this though:  I never dreamed I would be able to tame my Image X5 (rather too high pitched for my old ears before), but this set up has done the trick :) 

By the way, for grins I tried out the Nuforce Icon HDP, but to be honest, it was simply not portable enough for me, and, though I didn't give it much of a chance, I had problems with the left/right channel (at all volumes).  The Icon HDP also was overly compressed when I hooked it up to my laptop - it may have been, in part, because I was using my gym IEMs (the Klipsch Image S5), but it may also have been a dud.   No matter, it was too large for my purposes (I've already got a desktop DAC (the Headroom ultramicro stack), so I ended up returning it.  I'm happy with the simple UDAC-2 - one of the best and cheapest (relatively speaking) upgrades I've bought since I got into this blasted expensive hobby!

May 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #862 of 877
Anyone here with experience using the uDAC2 with a set of A5's? I have the HDP but am interested in possibly downgrading to the uDAC as I almost never use headphones anymore but would like to keep the A5 volume control at arms reach.

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #864 of 877
Did a little mod to my udac-2, I HATE having to plug in my headset each time I want to use it and not the rear line-out, I was looking for a 4PDT toggle switch that would enable switching between line and headphone out, but could not find one that would fit inside the enclosure, so I went with a DPDT:

This thing is tiny, but works well, I'll use it to switch the line-out on and off.

Got a new jack too from parts express. Desoldering the original one was fun.

The only place I could fit the switch was right next to the jack, I might have been able to move it slightly further to the left, but it works fine as is. Now I always leave my headphones plugged in, and when I want to listen to my speakers I just flick the switch. I've adjusted the volumes so that the headphone out is pretty low when using the speakers. Having the headphones playing whilst using the line-out and speakers doesn't seem to hurt sound quality, but hard to be sure. The headphone out will at least not be affected as I can turn off the line-out.

I've got a bunch of these switches if anyone is interested. Apart from desoldering the old jack it's pretty straightforward using cat-5 wire to hook up everything.

drop files here​

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #865 of 877
I just got one in GOLD.  I love how it looks.  Sounds pretty good too.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #866 of 877
Bringing up an old thread..
I am aware of the bad things said about the uDac2. That being said I already own the piece of equipment.

Im buying the hifiman he-400 and im looking for an amp/dac combo to hook em up with. I wonder whether the udac2 would manage as a DAC paired up with an amp like Schiit Magni.

The the question really is that how does the uDac2 (as a DAC) compare to cheap standalone DACs like the Schiit Modi?

Thanks a bunch
Palikkae

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #867 of 877
Quote:
Bringing up an old thread..
I am aware of the bad things said about the uDac2. That being said I already own the piece of equipment.

Im buying the hifiman he-400 and im looking for an amp/dac combo to hook em up with. I wonder whether the udac2 would manage as a DAC paired up with an amp like Schiit Magni.

The the question really is that how does the uDac2 (as a DAC) compare to cheap standalone DACs like the Schiit Modi?

Thanks a bunch
Palikkae

I still prefer the uDAC-2 and uDAC-2 SE as a DAC (source) over my son's Schitt Modi.  The Magni amp is a little bit of an upgrade over the headphone amp built into the uDAC-2, so the pairing of uDAC-2 + Magni is preferred.  The Magni amp is more powerful, and drives low and high impedance phones better.

The advantage of the Modi DAC is that it can be run via iPad mini > camera connection kit without needing a powered hub like the uDAC-2.  But the Modi isn't as detailed and transparent as the uDAC-2 as a DAC via RCA out.

May 1, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #869 of 877
Hey yo, so can the coax and RCA output simultaneously, or does one override the other? I'm thinking of having coax go to my receiver when the occasion strikes.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #870 of 877
hi guys!! first post for me
biggrin.gif

(sry for my english, i'm an italian user)

i want to ask..i have the nuforce udac2 and two mac.

For now, i've only 44.1/16 bit music.

For you, what's the best configuration in the midi settings? 44.100, 16bit ? or I put 96/24?

I'm reading this thread, and saw that: "As for 24/96, there is no reason to set it for higher with 16/44 music, except that with the iMac set to use it in 24/96 mode I think that you have an extra 8 bits for using software volume control if you choose to."

but..I need these 8bit for 44/16 music?
biggrin.gif
I use iTunes for listening, with 100% of volume, 100% on Mac Os, and swap it from the potentiometer of the nuforce

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back