FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 1, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #827 of 877
In response to the thorough measurement review report, I have tried my volume control at 9 o clock, 10, 11, 12, and 1 and I do not hear any volume imbalance between the channels and my ears are really sensitive about balance. But one thing I must admit is that I find the udac2 is a bit bright in sounding. Otherwise, it sounds perfectly great! 

dL

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #828 of 877

Quote:
In response to the thorough measurement review report, I have tried my volume control at 9 o clock, 10, 11, 12, and 1 and I do not hear any volume imbalance between the channels and my ears are really sensitive about balance. But one thing I must admit is that I find the udac2 is a bit bright in sounding. Otherwise, it sounds perfectly great! 

dL

My new uDAC-2 SE doesn't have channel imbalance at very low (or high) volumes either.  At the extreme low volumes it starts to be unbalanced, but I'd never listen that quietly.  This is a bit better than my original uDAC-2, which wasn't too bad itself.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #829 of 877
Hi,

Is there an issue with the uDac-2 and the Grados full size headphones? after playing for a while the uDac-2 warms up pretty much and happens with several different PCs. 
I sent several emails to Nuforce with no response, so maybe someone here can give some insight.

Dan

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #830 of 877
I just got this thing today and it is causing my computer to crash on me - no joke.

I plugged it in this morning and everything was fine. I played music on it till tonight. I unhooked it to do some testing without it. Then I hooked it up back.

a) I found out the coaxial cable can't be connected at the same time or the computer crashes, reboots, then shuts down again in a loop

b) Now every time I plug the DAC back into the computer, it sits there and takes it....I check the audio properties on the thing (I have checkmarked the 44, 48, 96, etc.) and then I exit out. I go to open a folder and *bam* it crashes on me. I take it out of the computer and the computer runs fine. This happens every single time and it's very frustrating. Should I leave the audio properties alone?

I thought installing ASIO4ALL had something to do with the crashing (I thought I read a recommendation to install it in this thread) so I uninstalled it. I still get the crashing effect.

Another odd thing today with this DAC....I unplugged it and my screen went blood red. Then the monitor wouldn't get signal from the computer either. We tried two different monitors and the signal wouldn't work. Then we uninstalled the graphics card and am now using the onboard video. I just find it strange that I've experienced 2 different technical difficulties with my PC when I've been messing with this thing.

I called NuForce but they don't answer their phones. I emailed them about some other things and they haven't responded to my email (and I sent the emails/called them early in the morning and even left a message).

What is going on with this thing? Anyone know?

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #831 of 877

Quote:
Hi,

Is there an issue with the uDac-2 and the Grados full size headphones? after playing for a while the uDac-2 warms up pretty much and happens with several different PCs. 
I sent several emails to Nuforce with no response, so maybe someone here can give some insight.

Dan

The uDAC-2 can heat up with IEM too.  Sometimes it runs cooler than other times, and at times it runs hot.  It doesn't seem to be a problem, and Nuforce says not to worry.

Quote:
I just got this thing today and it is causing my computer to crash on me - no joke.

I plugged it in this morning and everything was fine. I played music on it till tonight. I unhooked it to do some testing without it. Then I hooked it up back.

a) I found out the coaxial cable can't be connected at the same time or the computer crashes, reboots, then shuts down again in a loop

b) Now every time I plug the DAC back into the computer, it sits there and takes it....I check the audio properties on the thing (I have checkmarked the 44, 48, 96, etc.) and then I exit out. I go to open a folder and *bam* it crashes on me. I take it out of the computer and the computer runs fine. This happens every single time and it's very frustrating. Should I leave the audio properties alone?

I thought installing ASIO4ALL had something to do with the crashing (I thought I read a recommendation to install it in this thread) so I uninstalled it. I still get the crashing effect.

Another odd thing today with this DAC....I unplugged it and my screen went blood red. Then the monitor wouldn't get signal from the computer either. We tried two different monitors and the signal wouldn't work. Then we uninstalled the graphics card and am now using the onboard video. I just find it strange that I've experienced 2 different technical difficulties with my PC when I've been messing with this thing.

I called NuForce but they don't answer their phones. I emailed them about some other things and they haven't responded to my email (and I sent the emails/called them early in the morning and even left a message).

What is going on with this thing? Anyone know?

I have never heard of such a thing happening, where a USB accessory makes the computer do these funny things.  So, I can't help there at all.  It could be anything.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #832 of 877

Quote:
The uDAC-2 can heat up with IEM too.  Sometimes it runs cooler than other times, and at times it runs hot.  It doesn't seem to be a problem, and Nuforce says not to worry.

I have never heard of such a thing happening, where a USB accessory makes the computer do these funny things.  So, I can't help there at all.  It could be anything.

haha...another Correlation Vs Causation...
nbakid2000, are you sure your PSU isn't lacking in adequate power?
Might even be a malfunctioning motherboard. Is it Gigabyte by chance? 
Note that those are just conjectures.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #833 of 877
It seems to have fixed itself. I plugged it in (again) and the computer installed some updates for software....so I have no idea what it was. Maybe a driver issue? I have no. clue.

Either way, it seems to run fine now. Maybe it just doesn't like being unplugged/plugged repeatedly. I'll report back if I have any more issues.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #834 of 877
Hello,

with my SR325i and ipod or pc as source, how the NuForce µDAC-2 SE compare with the HP-P1 or iQube? I am looking for something portable and good (at home I have a Apogee Duet).

I know that there is a difference of price but in common there is that these products can all be purchased in Paris or France.

Thanks.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #835 of 877
Currently with X-Fi i have 3 volume controls:

- Program/Player (Foobar, Windows Media Player, etc).
- OS Main Volume (Windows General SOUNDCARD Volume 0%-100%)
- KRK RP6G2 Studio Monitors Volume (Analog volume control).

With UDAC-2, will i have another Volume control? Resulting like this:

- OS Main Volume (Windows General UDAC-2 Volume 0%-100%)
- UDAC-2 Analog Volume Control

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #836 of 877
Right now using my uDAC with powered speakers I really have to keep the volumes down for listening at my desk. 

foobar at 100% ---> windows at 35% ---> uDAC-2 at 10 o'clock position, just above major imbalance ---> Audioengine A5 speakers at 20% (10 o'clock)

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #837 of 877
So i will have 4 volume controls like you. (that's nice because i have similar problems with the volume and having another control will help a lot).

With the X-fi i'm using:

foobar 100% --> X-Fi 5% --> KRK RP6G2 at -6dB (0db = 12 o' clock ; +6dB =  4'o clock (max and default krk volume).

But i read that the x-fi i use 0dB at 50% volume...and 16dB at 100% volume.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #838 of 877

Quote:
Currently with X-Fi i have 3 volume controls:

- OS Main Volume (Windows General SOUNDCARD Volume 0%-100%)

With UDAC-2, will i have another Volume control? Resulting like this:

- OS Main Volume (Windows General UDAC-2 Volume 0%-100%)
- UDAC-2 Analog Volume Control

In your case I would leave the Program and OS volume at 100%, and control the volume with either the uDAC-2 or at the speakers.  In my case, I use the uDAC-2 to control my Audioengine powered speaker volume, and leave the speakers set at 75% and don't touch them.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #839 of 877
I gonna try that. I hope that the minimum udac-2 analog volume is good enough for my system, otherwise i will have to reduce windows volume too.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #840 of 877
Such is the sad state of affairs with 2V rms line outs for quiet listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back