FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jun 26, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #796 of 877

Quote:
How good is this dac if we use it solely as a DAC ? Or shall I ask how bad it is compared to HRT Streamer ?

I haven't heard the HRT Streamer.  Using a Macbook Pro and iTunes with USB out and 24/96 hi-res downloads, when I connected the uDAC-2 RCA output to drive my ALO Amphora and HiFiMan EF2 I couldn't really distinguish a difference between the uDAC-2 line-out and the Pico DAC-only line-out.  It was also pretty close with 16/44.1 recordings (lossless).  With poor quality recordings the Pico DAC-only did a little better job, and I'm not sure how they would compare using much higher quality amps; but these are the kind of amps most likely to be paired with a budget DAC.  The uDAC-1 RCA output was not this good, but it was still better than a PCM2706 DAC.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #798 of 877

Quote:
Thank you, Jason. If iDo can be used with battery power, I will surely buy one. When you have more information to share, please let us know which battery can be used. I have done some research, but could not find suitable 6.5v batteries as 6.5v is kind of an odd value (comapred to say 5v, 7.5v, and 9v).

You can use a 6V portable battery. Internally, there is voltage regulation to 5V, so the supply voltage should be 6 or 6.5V.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #800 of 877
Hi,
I just bought uDAC2 as despite some negative reviews based on measurements, people seem to like it. I decided to give it a try. I got the red version, I love the form factor, fit and finish and the fact that there is no need for a separate power supply. I like the sound, but I do notice that volume gets loud very quick even at the low ranges of the volume (between 7 and 9 o'clock).

In the Win 7 system I can mitigate it somewhat by lowering the Windows volume. But does it reduce overall sound quality? I'm not sure how Windows attenuates volume to the USB DAC.

Also, is it possible to purchase gold screws and metal volume button like on the purple version?

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #801 of 877

Quote:
Hi,
I just bought uDAC2 as despite some negative reviews based on measurements, people seem to like it. I decided to give it a try. I got the red version, I love the form factor, fit and finish and the fact that there is no need for a separate power supply. I like the sound, but I do notice that volume gets loud very quick even at the low ranges of the volume (between 7 and 9 o'clock).

In the Win 7 system I can mitigate it somewhat by lowering the Windows volume. But does it reduce overall sound quality? I'm not sure how Windows attenuates volume to the USB DAC.

Also, is it possible to purchase gold screws and metal volume button like on the purple version?

Reducing the system volume can reduce the bit-rate depth and therefore the S/N ratio; but if you are using the system volume only when the uDAC-2 volume is already at it's lowest, then you aren't listening loud enough to hear a difference and it should be okay.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #802 of 877
Personal opinion, set the nuforce pot to 11-12 o'clock.
Set your player to output @24 bit, you now have 48 dB volume to play with until you reach the SNR limitations of your typical 16 bit file.
Adjust system volume to reach preferred listening volume.

NB: Vista , 7 and OSX only, XP's system volume is very flawed.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #803 of 877
Why would lowering the volume reduce the output bit depth? I'm using Win 7. I guess XP does something to the output signal beyond simple attenuation?
In Win 7 I selected NuForce SPDF output as default to get the uDac to produce the sound, I also selected all bit depth option in the properties including 24bit - should I deselect the lower frequencies?

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #804 of 877
Been using for almost a month now. So far so good, but the heat thing bothers me. Hope it doesn't develop into an issue.

Quote:
yep, same here.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #808 of 877
"...It is also adorned with a Swarovski crystal, an understatement that veils the crystal's true technical purpose, which is to diffract the quantum-genetic memory of the universe to restore the missing data in your collection of ****ty 192kbps MP3s. The NuForce uDAC-2 is cryogenically-enhanced and costs $400."

http://boingboing.net/2011/08/01/gold-headphone-amp-with-swarovski-crystal.html

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #809 of 877
It got a lot of people talking and pointing to uDAC-2 that sells for $129.
Seriously, the stainless steel, gold plating, additional accessories (including a soft leather cover) cost more than the electronics.
Why do some people pay $2000 for a handbag when one costing $200 would be more than sufficient? A $50 hang bag would do just as well.
The same goes for watches etc.
For a very discerning customer (think of this guy as a successful or rich [fill-in-the-blank] for example, with top of the line laptop and earphones), such a product is cheap.
In some region of the world, uDAC-2 can be used as business gift too :wink:.

What we are trying to do is that, at every price point, we offer good value for the money. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back