FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #707 of 877

Quote:
I understand that the Windows Volume control won't work with the uDAC 2. Will foobars volume slider still work? I guess I will also lose the Windows 7 feature of individual applcations volume control?

W7 volume still functions.  Foobar volume works as well.  All volume controls works.  You have the choice of setting volume on the computer or volume on the udac2 or a combination of both.  You can do this to avoid the channel imbalance on low volume on the udac2.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #708 of 877

Quote:
W7 volume still functions.  Foobar volume works as well.  All volume controls works.  You have the choice of setting volume on the computer or volume on the udac2 or a combination of both.  You can do this to avoid the channel imbalance on low volume on the udac2.

I plan to keep Win 7 / foobar volume at 100%, but at times I use the Apple Remote app to set volume when I am away from my desk. Just wanted to make sure I would still be able to do that. So the lack of volume control from Win 7 was for the uDAC1?

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #709 of 877

Quote:
I plan to keep Win 7 / foobar volume at 100%, but at times I use the Apple Remote app to set volume when I am away from my desk. Just wanted to make sure I would still be able to do that. So the lack of volume control from Win 7 was for the uDAC1?

I currently own the udac2.  I am not familiar with udac1.  If you keep both spif out(what w7 calls the udac2 usb out) and foobar at 100% in w7, just make sure you can play at minimum volume of at least 9 oclock position on the udac2 to avoid channel imbalance.  I don't want to get flamed for calling out the channel imbalance, but on mine copy I do have it below the 9 oclock to off position.

If that is the case, you can just use udac2's volume control to set final volume.  I am not sure how apple remote app comes in play since I am not familiar with that neither.

hth

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #710 of 877

Quote:
I currently own the udac2.  I am not familiar with udac1.  If you keep both spif out(what w7 calls the udac2 usb out) and foobar at 100% in w7, just make sure you can play at minimum volume of at least 9 oclock position on the udac2 to avoid channel imbalance.  I don't want to get flamed for calling out the channel imbalance, but on mine copy I do have it below the 9 oclock to off position.

If that is the case, you can just use udac2's volume control to set final volume.  I am not sure how apple remote app comes in play since I am not familiar with that neither.

hth

Ok, that was what I needed to know. Thanks.

The apple remote app just controls foobar's volume slider (and gives me access to foobar's library). Perfect for a day spent in bed just listening to music.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #711 of 877
All,

Out of curiosity, I got a HDP to compare.  I got the udac2 for work.  I liked it enough I was going to get another for home but decided to see if it is worth going with the HDP.  I know from reading posts that I can achieve better sound pairing my existing udac2 with some sort of hybrid tube amp.  But, for my listening (mainly at work), having hot light bulb(s) is just not feasible.  The same applies for home too.  I don't really need the HDP but want to hear what something that cost 4x the udac2 would sound like.

I am not good with all that special terms describing sound.  But I can tell you that udac2 adds finger snapping quality to music.  HDP is more honest less groovy sounding.  But, the bass on the HDP does not hurt my ears unlike the udac2.  I think udac2 has a bit too much bass for my taste.  I listen to high bit rate or flac based as well low bit rate stuff.  Neither will kill your ears with a bad recording which I am glad about.  Both will reveal a bad recording but won't render it badly so it is not enjoyable.

HDP has more headroom (obviously).  Even at low volume, all sounds come through.  udac2 will start to drop off (very minor but noticed).  Compared to onboard computer HO, it is even worse.  Honestly, my dell computer HO isn't really all that bad.

HDP has more controlled bass.  But not so much so that I would balk at the udac2's control.  Basically, every udac2 does, HDP does it just a little better.  But honestly, unless you sit and do nothing but listen to music (no beer/soda/drink; no surfing the web), any advantages from the HDP will be lessened.

So far, the jury is still out on the HDP.  I don't think for my hardware setup and ears, it is worth 4x the udac2.  I think the HD version for $350 maybe more acceptable strictly from a sound only perspective.

neither copies of my HDP nor udac2 has hiss/noisy volume pot.  My HDP does have a slight play when turning volume from clock wise to counter clock or vise verse.  Does it bother me?  Operationally no.  Price wise? YES.  My co-workers E9 and my udac2 volume pot is free of play and both are much cheaper than HDP.

Conclusion:

It is not bad.  Just didn't blow my socks off.  I am not sure if it should/would.  Although I honestly does not have any expectation, but hind sight, kinda wish it would blow my socks off.

headphones:HD580/SR225(414 pads)/PX100(414 pads) (original)
computer ->foobar2000->usb->udac2 or HDP

All above observations apply to all the headphones.  With harder to drive HD580 shown most improvement.  SR225 gets pretty aggressive with the HDP more so than the udac2 but fun for certain types of music.  PX100 benefitted the least but still has noticeable improvement compared from direct computer HO to udac2/HDP so much so that I would not hesitate to park a udac2 permenately on the computer to drive the PX100

Any opinions welcome.

thanks for reading

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #713 of 877

Quote:
Hey guys, I pulled the trigger and got one last night with a $20 off promo which made it even sweeter.

However, I'm rather quite disappointed with it as I don't hear any difference at all using it with my laptop. My output source is a grado sr60i listening to 320kbps files. I don't think it has to do with my laptop as it's a 3 year old p.o.s so I was expecting a big improvement...I've also made sure to set it as my default device, volume is at 100% and I'm adjusting with the knob.

Overall doesn't seem worth the money, all it has done is raise the volume for me.

Any ideas?

which OS?  Like I said, my dell desktop at work the HO isn't so bad.  udac2 made a difference for sure even with my very easy to drive PX100.  But, I am not surprised that some can't tell the difference at all.  For the PX100, it is definitley subtle: thumper bass slightly difference sound, slightly more engaging than before.  Also, depending on your listen condition.  I am not sure how others review equipment or give impressions; everyone has different situations/noise levels while doing equip eval.  If you are parked at the neighborhood starbucks with foot traffic and noisy coffee machines, I doubt anyone can tell the difference.  Also, with "easy" to drive SR60, I think you get a cleaner signal with an external DAC and perhaps more headroom.  I do think that the difference is when you move to a harder to drive phone the headroom comes in play and you notice more of a difference.  

I don't know.  I ain't no expert.

YMMV

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #714 of 877

Quote:
Hey guys, I pulled the trigger and got one last night with a $20 off promo which made it even sweeter.

However, I'm rather quite disappointed with it as I don't hear any difference at all using it with my laptop. My output source is a grado sr60i listening to 320kbps files. I don't think it has to do with my laptop as it's a 3 year old p.o.s so I was expecting a big improvement...I've also made sure to set it as my default device, volume is at 100% and I'm adjusting with the knob.

Overall doesn't seem worth the money, all it has done is raise the volume for me.

Any ideas?

Burn in the uDAC-2 with playing 150-200 hours of music, and it will open up some more.  But you may have too many weak links in the chain with your 320K MP3 and SR-60, so it will always only sound as good as your files and phones.  I personally don't think 320K MP3 is all that bad, and the SR-60 don't suck, but the extra micro-detail, ambience and space that the uDAC-2 provides will be lost with those.  And, the extra power goes to waste as well.

Plus the OS can make a difference, and you may need to install some software like ASIO4ALL to bypass the Windows Kmixer that downgrades the sound.  WASAPI might be another type of way to do that, but I'm a Mac guy and can't help much.  I do know that when I tested my first USB DAC in 2007 (an iBasso D1 and Headstage DAC cable) my spare Dell PC sounded like poop with them vs my Mac, and I didn't know why at the time.  Now I do.  We have a PC that hasn't been turned on but once in the past year now, and 5 Macs we use every day.

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #715 of 877
after listening to the DAC-2 for a while I can say that for me it doesn't live up to the hype.
don't get me wrong, it's a great little gadget but not more. there are better alternatives in this price range. well, not that small and cute looking but better sounding. I can tell you that in that price range the upgrade from a laptop headphone output should be of the "WOW" type. I think the DAC-2 isn't.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #716 of 877
when I use RCA out to feed my amp, the sound is good and normal.

but when I change the connection through uDac2's HO instead (to feed amp), I feel it has channel imbalance when the vol pot at 12 till max volume.

so what's wrong here?

it isn't big problem though, since I always use the RCA out, but i'm just curious.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #717 of 877
Quote:
 there are better alternatives in this price range. well, not that small and cute looking but better sounding.

I have no problem with you not liking the uDAC-2, but I am curious as to what better alternatives in this price range you are referring to?  I was not able to find any USB DAC's with RCA outs at any price close to the uDAC-2.  Could you share some of your preferred alternatives?

Thanks,

--Ken

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #718 of 877
I know that someone brought it up in this thread. But is there an external power adaptor that can power the Udac-2?   The Udac-2 heats up my macbook pro to much and too fast.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #720 of 877

Quote:
Quote:

I have no problem with you not liking the uDAC-2, but I am curious as to what better alternatives in this price range you are referring to?  I was not able to find any USB DAC's with RCA outs at any price close to the uDAC-2.  Could you share some of your preferred alternatives?

Thanks,

--Ken

HotAudio DacDestroyer. I have owned the uDac2 in the past and preferred the DacDestroyer. If you want a volume control, get the BitPerfect.
http://hotaudio.com/store/dac-destroyer.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back