FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #691 of 877

Thanks HeadphoneAddict.

One more question for you though.

Does anyone have opinions on the uDac2 vs HRT Music Streamer 2? I read a review on headphonia saying the HRT MS2 had the edge but there are loads of reviews on the HRT MS2 saying it is nice, but not that great.

Anyone have any comparisons or opinions as to which they prefer?

Sorry, can't help with gear I haven't heard yet.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #692 of 877
Feb 10, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #693 of 877

Quote:
We have written USB Audio setup guides and optimization tips for Windows:
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/support/usb-audio-setup.php
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/support/usb-audio-guide.php

Unfortunately we are not familiar with Linux or Mac setup.
Please assist us by taking screen shots of your Mac or Linux USB setup (remember to mention the OS version) and email to feedback@nuforce.com

Thanks
Jason

Email sent.  Using Mac OSX 10.6.6 with Audio MIDI Setup from the Applications > Utilities folder.

The input tab should be grayed out like with the HDP, but on the uDAC-2 it's configurable and must be set to 16 bit for 24/96 output to work.  See below.

On HDP the input tab cannot be selected or edited:

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #694 of 877
Had both, I'd go with the uDAC2 because it's simply offers more in functionality. Sound wise there is nothing really wrong with the MS2, I just did not think it was anything special. If the uDAC2 is at $129, MS2 should be at $100 really. Sound wise, async USB on the MSII did not offer anything over the uDAC2. Also, the MS2 sounds a little dry to me and I don't really like that.

Quote:
Does anyone have opinions on the uDac2 vs HRT Music Streamer 2? I read a review on headphonia saying the HRT MS2 had the edge but there are loads of reviews on the HRT MS2 saying it is nice, but not that great.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #695 of 877
@ Headphoneaddict I would add the following as well:

In System Preferences >> Sound:

1/ Tab 'Sound Effects'

Set Sound Effects to internal speaker. Recommended if you prefer to not have system sounds routed to your headphones.

2/ Tab 'output': Select Nuforce uDAC 2

3/ Tab 'input':

Internal microphone as Input device. Otherwise e.g. Facetime won't work.

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #696 of 877

Quote:

Please assist us by taking screen shots of your Mac or Linux USB setup (remember to mention the OS version) and email to feedback@nuforce.com

Thanks
Jason

So if I am reading this correctly NuForce has never used the uDC-2 with a Mac?    

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #697 of 877

Quote:
Had both, I'd go with the uDAC2 because it's simply offers more in functionality. Sound wise there is nothing really wrong with the MS2, I just did not think it was anything special. If the uDAC2 is at $129, MS2 should be at $100 really. Sound wise, async USB on the MSII did not offer anything over the uDAC2. Also, the MS2 sounds a little dry to me and I don't really like that.

Quote:

Thank for the input. The uDac2 can be found at Crutchfield for $109 after a $20 off coupon code so I think that's the best choice! (For my needs, that is)

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #698 of 877

Quote:
@ Headphoneaddict I would add the following as well:

In System Preferences >> Sound:

1/ Tab 'Sound Effects'

Set Sound Effects to internal speaker. Recommended if you prefer to not have system sounds routed to your headphones.

2/ Tab 'output': Select Nuforce uDAC 2

3/ Tab 'input':

Internal microphone as Input device. Otherwise e.g. Facetime won't work.

That's great info.  I often just right click on the DAC or line/microphone in audio midi setup to choose which device is my input, music output and system output - I also prefer to route system audio through the speakers and not the headphones.  I also use an app called "sound source" from Rogue Amoeba to select my input and outputs, which sits in the menu bar up top, so I almost forgot about the sound control panel, and can't recall the last time I opened it. 

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Jason

So if I am reading this correctly NuForce has never used the uDC-2 with a Mac?    

Rest assured they haven't shipped anything without knowing it works on Macs, but they just don't have all the info to allow them to write up instructions on using it on a Mac for the customers.  So, we head-fi users are helping out.  I think that's great that they asked.

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #699 of 877
Hello all,

the Nuforce uDAC-2 is a good product, great for very good sound quality on the go, however, I feel this little DAC gets trounced by the RCA output from my Onkyo SE-200PCI LTD sound card. The headphone amp sounds good but lacks soundstage width and some height and depth. It also doesn't have the same level of treble or bass details, but having said all that, it is good enough to hold me over while I sell the Onkyo and wait until I get a midrange-higher-end dac that will also be a control center.

It still produces sound that is satisfying to listen to, especially if someone is looking for good sound quality along with portability. It easily beats the on-board sound card and probably most of the sound cards in the market,  I feel this is a fine choice given it's pricepoint.

I may keep it around so I can use it along with my laptop(the onboard SQ is atrocious)

Cheers,

Donny

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #700 of 877
Hi guys,

Looking for a DAC/AMP.

My auzen is dead.

Do you think that the Ultrasone 2500 will work good with uDac2? Anyone tested it with Ultrasone headphones? Is the uDac enough or should I buy an extra amp?

Thanks for answers,

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #701 of 877
I have not tested it with Ultrasones.

I tend to agree with Donnyhifi's comments above. It's a pretty good sounding amp, slightly on the warm/pleasant side, but lacking separation and soundstage, with a somewhat forward presentation. I would suggest that if anyone is looking for anything beyond an inexpensive, convenient/portable setup on the go, to look to purchasing a separate amplifier. I will report on how it sounds as a DAC-only, once I decide which amp I decide to get (assuming that isn't a DAC/AMP combo to replace the UDAC.)

It's a nice little unit for the price...

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #702 of 877
whoa i never knew onkyo made sound cards!

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #704 of 877
Hi,

I am rejoining the headphone world after years of absence due to life.  I started out with just AMPs on regular CD players since back in the days, computer based audio is not as sophisticated as today.  I finally have enough digital collection at work that I wanted better solution than the HPO on the computer.  I have 3 headphones HD580, px100, grado sr225.  After much deliberation, I finally got my feet wet with the udac-2.  I have been listening to it since yesterday.  AWESOME! is how I would describe it.

At work, my headphone is the PX100 with the pad replaced by 414 yellow pads -- this phone is comfy and has overall sound signature close to the grado 225 (non i version... I am old) that I enjoy.  It is also "low" enough grade that it doesn't reveal flaws with bad/low bit rate recordings. 

My work pips white noise on purpose to "drown out" other people's conversation (we have huge cube farms).  Under those circumstances, my copy of the udatc2 has no noticeable hiss nor the volume pot cracking when moving.  My does pane to left when volume is low but not during normal levels.

I don't have any complaints.  But have some questions:

*I am on win XP, I don't see where I can change the sample rate in the sound control panel.  I did change the device to nuforce and I am getting sound from it.  is that it?  The instruction from nuforce is for W7 not XP.

*With the udac2, on px100, it is all the sudden bass heavy -- sometimes to the point of ear ache even with low listening levels.  Does anyone have this experience?

*anyone run this through the 225?  I don't have a 1/4 to 1/8th adapter so I can't try out the grado.

*My research was down to udac2 and the E7 (no surprise I am sure).  Although I see many recommendation of E7 and E9 combo, anyone run udac2 through E9?  I am asking because E9 seems low enough cost I can add to drive my HD580.  I have heard the udac2 driving HD595 compare to E9 driving the same, and the E9 does a much better job (better texture and just overall "thicker" sound).  The HD595/udac sounded thin in comparison.  I am afraid the 580 would be worse on the udac2 since it is harder to drive compare to the 595.

thanks for reading

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #705 of 877
I haven't listened to the DAC-2 with 225's but I own a pair of SR80s. they are much more listenable with the DAC's headphone out compared to any PC out I've tried. the aggressiveness goes away. if the 225 have the same signature chances are that they will pair well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back