FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 26, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #676 of 877

Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting the uDac2. I just have this question: If I have my my stereo receiver connected to the RCA out of uDac and my headphones are plugged in to the headphone jack, will the RCA out be muted automatically so that I wouldn't have to adjust the receiver?

Esko

Yes, the RCA out will be muted when headphones are plugged into the uDAC2.

Ok, thanks for the quick reply!

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #677 of 877
I went in audio-midi setup on my imac G5 and did the settings as demonstrated on the first page.

but, im still able to control volume using itunes and the equalizer changes the sound.  i didn't think this was possible since i thought i was bypassing this with the udac2.  

do i have the setup incorrect???

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #678 of 877

Quote:
I went in audio-midi setup on my imac G5 and did the settings as demonstrated on the first page.

but, im still able to control volume using itunes and the equalizer changes the sound.  i didn't think this was possible since i thought i was bypassing this with the udac2.  

do i have the setup incorrect???

You can still use the software volume control and EQ in iTunes with most DACs.  The system volume is often deactivated with external DAC's, but the uDAC-2 is controlled by the system volume as well.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #679 of 877
I received the uDAC-2 and plugged it into one of my laptop's USB port.

With Direct Sound, setting it at 96/24 (within the Playback Device panel), playing a 44/16 file in Foobar, I experience a slight drop out every minute or so, at 96/24 (with a 96/24 file) it becomes one drop out every 10 seconds.
With WASAPI, setting it at corresponding sample rate/bit depth within the Playback Device panel, no matter what file I play in in foobar.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong? or if the device is at fault?

EDIT: Those problems do not happen systematically, a restart managed to solve them and another restart made them reappear.
There's a huge hannel imbalance  (at least +10 dB on the left listening through MDR Z1000, 108 dB/mW, 24 ohms) before 9 o'clock, the only way to solve the problem is to decrease the volume in Foobar/Windows and turn the potentiometer further.

EDIT2: it still seems that the left channel is somewhat louder even at higher volumes.

EDIT3: With measures this times, right at the start, very little channel imbalance, there's a point around 8h1/2 where the channel imbalance reaches -8.5 dB on the right, and the channel imbalance decreases regularly as I turn up the volume to end up at -0.3-0.4 dB on the right channel. As I continue turning the potentiometer, there's a point just before 3 o'clock where the imabalance disappear rapidly and both channel are matched at .1 dB.

Note that this may be limited to my uDac, don't take it as a general statement.

EDIT5: I reported the channel imbalance issue at low volumes to Nuforce and they are sending another unit back. I will have to pay myself to send the original unit back to them, bummer.

EDIT4: RMAA here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536324/nuforce-udac-2-rmaa-measurements

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #680 of 877
How does the udac-2 compare to ibasso d1 portable dac?  Are they comparable/close?

thank you

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #681 of 877

How does the udac-2 compare to ibasso d1 portable dac?  Are they comparable/close?

thank you

The D1 with upgraded opamps like AD797 pr AD743 on a 2:1 adapter and upgraded buffers and upgraded DAC opamps is excellent if used with the optical input, and likely on par with uDAC-2, but the D1 via USB input or analog input is not nearly as good as the uDAC-2

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #682 of 877
I just purchased the USB Camera kit for the iPad and hooked it to a powered USB Hub so my uDac2 provides me with a great little bedside rig with my iPad now. I normally convert all of my lossless to 128 bitrate when I sync it to the iPad so I can fit more music on it but now think I'll do with less music and higher quality now that my wonderful uDac is able to pair up with the iPad. What a great versatile little unit - I love this thing!  

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #683 of 877
Hi,

I recently picked up the uDAC-2 and connected it from my MacBook Pro (13") to HD555.  Also have HD650 and wonder if anyone can recommend an amp to throw in my current set up.  I heard praise for the iBasso Toucan, but will portable drive the 650 to at least a satisfactory level?  On a budget and am going to upgrade in steps.

Also, I'm not too familiar with S/PDIF and balanced cables.  Would adding these give a significant boost?  Does having a balanced amp, but unbalanced DAC defeat the purpose?

Thanks.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #685 of 877
I forgot to mention, just as a dac, apart from the amp, how do they compare? 

thanks again. 

Quote:

The D1 with upgraded opamps like AD797 pr AD743 on a 2:1 adapter and upgraded buffers and upgraded DAC opamps is excellent if used with the optical input, and likely on par with uDAC-2, but the D1 via USB input or analog input is not nearly as good as the uDAC-2

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #686 of 877

I forgot to mention, just as a dac, apart from the amp, how do they compare? 

thanks again. 

Pretty much the same feelings, the D1 was very good via optical, but not so much via USB and the DAC output opamps needed to be updated too. Any further comparisons won't be valid because I sold the D1 long ago. But via USB I'm sure the uDAC-2 is better, and might still beat the D1 optical DAC too.

EDIT - iphone had changed opamp to pampas

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #687 of 877
I'm thinking about getting this with a LD MKIII to power some dt800s/600ohm.

If I hook it up like this:

Foobar > uDac2 > little dot mk III > dt800/600

Should I turn the uDac2 all the way up? Or will it be bypassed and not really matter?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #688 of 877

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting this with a LD MKIII to power some dt800s/600ohm.

If I hook it up like this:

Foobar > uDac2 > little dot mk III > dt800/600

Should I turn the uDac2 all the way up? Or will it be bypassed and not really matter?

Thanks

Typically turn up the uDAC-2 and use the amp's volume control.

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #689 of 877
Thanks HeadphoneAddict.

One more question for you though.

Does anyone have opinions on the uDac2 vs HRT Music Streamer 2? I read a review on headphonia saying the HRT MS2 had the edge but there are loads of reviews on the HRT MS2 saying it is nice, but not that great.

Anyone have any comparisons or opinions as to which they prefer?

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #690 of 877
Just got mine about 5 days ago. So far, so good. No hiss/hum using my PK3s or JVC RX700s. Sonically, pretty solid from the HP out - fairly warm, somewhat forward presentation...punchy and detailed. Nothing out of this world (taking into consideration the level of headphones I am currently using), but nice sounding and very convenient.  The build quality is impressive and the volume control is nice. I plan to use it as a dedicated DAC, once my FA-002Ws arive and I decide which amp to go with em. I will reserve final judgement for when I get the new cans and try them through the HP out and as a DAC only. To top it all off, I got it at a discount with a coupon from Crutchfield! Nice work, NuForce!

Thanks all (especially Lorspeaker, HeadphoneAddict, and whoever mentioned the Crutchfield coupon in that separate thread!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back