FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 19, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #661 of 877

Quote:
How's the uDac-2 compared to the Duet, the 828 mk2 or the F66?
And how does it fare as an amp compared to the Asgard.

Those 3 interfaces are A/D, D/A and firewire based. The Duet and 828mkII are 96/24bit and have their own proprietary drivers which are very solid while the FA66 uses the generic Core audio firewire driver which is also rock solid with this unit -- it also supports 192/24 bit recording and playback.  All of these devices are really intended for recording use and vary widely in their input/output features.  The Duet is a 2 channel device with pristine mic preamps and an excellent digital converter which is perfect for vinyl LP rips.  The 828 and FA66 are good but not in the same class recording quality-wise because of their mic preamps and A/D converters.

Sonically the Duet has the most transparent DAC of the lot, and the built-in headphone amp is very neutral and transparent which is as it should be for monitoring your own recordings but I prefer the warmer sound of the uDac2 for general playback of commercial recordings. When using the Duet for general listening, I bypass it's built-in amp with the Asgard which gives a much fuller, slightly warmer and 3-dimensional sound and seems ideally matched to HD600's or Grado GS-1000i's. The 828 mk2 is very good but not as musical or dimensional on playback as the Duet or uDAC2 while the headphone amp on the FA66 is mediocre and useful only for monitoring live recordings.

The bottom line is that I like both the Duet and uDAC2 for different reasons - the Duet makes phenomenally clean recordings while the uDAC2 plays them back beautifully - either thru it's own amp [for portable use] or via the Asgard.  You'd be amazed at what is really on some older vinyl LP records if digitized with the Duet and a good turntable-arm-cartridge-phono preamp setup.

The uDAC2 is an amazing device for headphone listening [textured, 3-dimensional, transparent and dirt-cheap] and makes an awesome preamp for even a high-end stereo audio system.  When friends come over for a listening session, I love driving an Audio Research VT130 [a 70 lb 110 watt/channel tube amp] with this matchbox sized device and watching the looks on their faces when the music starts.  There may be better DAC's out there but this one rocks and puts much more costly DAC's to shame.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #662 of 877
Thanks a lot
wink.gif
, I actually didn't ask for that much, merely the DAC and amp capacity of the uDac compared to the others.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #663 of 877
is it me or the highs of the uDAC-2 are recessed? not by a high amount but...

and for another question. a few days ago I thought that my unit broke, because I was getting no playback through its output but only through my laptop's speakers. proved that for some reason my OS (WinXP Pro) stopped automatically redirecting the sound output to USB when the uDAC was inserted and now I have to manually change the output device in Winamp (yes, I don't use Foobar, sue me :D). any fix?

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #664 of 877

Quote:

and for another question. a few days ago I thought that my unit broke, because I was getting no playback through its output but only through my laptop's speakers. proved that for some reason my OS (WinXP Pro) stopped automatically redirecting the sound output to USB when the uDAC was inserted and now I have to manually change the output device in Winamp (yes, I don't use Foobar, sue me :D). any fix?

The highs of the uDAC-2 are an improvement and more extended vs the original uDAC, and similar to the DACport; but they're not quite as extended or sparkly as something like the iBasso D4 or Pico DAC/amp.  I can't help with the PC issue - I'm a Mac.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #666 of 877

Quote:
Quote:

The highs of the uDAC-2 are an improvement and more extended vs the original uDAC, and similar to the DACport; but they're not quite as extended or sparkly as something like the iBasso D4 or Pico DAC/amp.  I can't help with the PC issue - I'm a Mac.

If I want something similiar like uDac2 sound, but with more spacious and have more impact bass, is DACport the answer?

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #667 of 877

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If I want something similiar like uDac2 sound, but with more spacious and have more impact bass, is DACport the answer?

The DACport is similar but more spacious, but I can't say it has more bass impact with all phones.  With the HE-5 LE the DACport does have more bass impact, but with the LCD-2 the uDAC-2 is a better choice.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #670 of 877

Quote:
Quote:
It seems a bit difficult to find a significant upgrade from the µDAC(2) if the form factor is going to be the same.

Within a given form factor, there can be significant change in performance depending on design and chip used.

And a significant difference in price (DACport being 3x more cost).

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #671 of 877
Is there a difference in sound, volume, or both between the headphone jack and the RCA output?  I just ordered my first dedicated headphone amp, but my DAC is the uDAC-2 HP ($99 no RCA jacks version).  Would I be missing much or causing problems by feeding the new amp through the uDAC-2's headphone out rather than RCA?

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #672 of 877

Quote:
Is there a difference in sound, volume, or both between the headphone jack and the RCA output?  I just ordered my first dedicated headphone amp, but my DAC is the uDAC-2 HP ($99 no RCA jacks version).  Would I be missing much or causing problems by feeding the new amp through the uDAC-2's headphone out rather than RCA?

I find the RCA outputs to be slightly less forward and slightly more extended in the treble than the headphone out - the RCA jacks sounded indistinguishable to me from my more expensive Pico DAC-only when feeding them into another amp.  I didn't do a lot of comparisons with feeding the uDAC-2 headphone jack into another amp, having only briefly fed the headphone jack into my balanced Protector with an ALO mini-mini cable.  It sounded fine, but a little less airy, open and spacious than the RCA outputs.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #674 of 877
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting the uDac2. I just have this question: If I have my my stereo receiver connected to the RCA out of uDac and my headphones are plugged in to the headphone jack, will the RCA out be muted automatically so that I wouldn't have to adjust the receiver?

Esko

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #675 of 877

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting the uDac2. I just have this question: If I have my my stereo receiver connected to the RCA out of uDac and my headphones are plugged in to the headphone jack, will the RCA out be muted automatically so that I wouldn't have to adjust the receiver?

Esko

Yes, the RCA out will be muted when headphones are plugged into the uDAC2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back