First Impressions: AKG K271 MkII
Feb 27, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #61 of 100
Feb 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #62 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by eucariote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say that they are nearly leakless. If I play very loud music and put them over my knee with a good seal, I can hear a very tiny whisper of music from 1 foot away. At normal volumes I don't hear anything. Be sure to bring a portable amplifier tho.

Thanks for that, the AKGs are now my next cans to get. Though the B&W P5s are apparently virtually leakless as well.....damn!

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #65 of 100
tdogzthmn: as you break in the K271s, can you comment on the differences with your K702s?

I bought the K271s for work, hence, the closed cans. I may be interested in picking up the K702s for home use.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #66 of 100
From the Intro to AKG Thread:

I would say the K702 has more bass. Of all the AKGs I have owned the K702 is most similar to the Sennheiser sound. Also I would agree the vocals are a bit more pronounced on the K271 which seems to separate the instruments more. The K702 seems to present music in a more integrated and wholesome way. Also the treble is smoother on the K702, this might be due to the fact that my K271 is only 3 days old but overall the K271 is a crisper sounding headphone.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Mar 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #67 of 100
Quote:

I would say the K702 has more bass. Of all the AKGs I have owned the K702 is most similar to the Sennheiser sound. Also I would agree the vocals are a bit more pronounced on the K271 which seems to separate the instruments more. The K702 seems to present music in a more integrated and wholesome way. Also the treble is smoother on the K702, this might be due to the fact that my K271 is only 3 days old but overall the K271 is a crisper sounding headphone.

IMO, the K701 is a bit more revealing at the very lo bass and extremely high freqs but the mids - treble are totally squashed. Been burning the K701 for about 110 hours so far and hope to see some improvements in the near future - perhaps after 300 hours?? -, especially in the actually ¨unreal¨ male voices, harsh cymbals, etc. I have also the opposite situation, my K271s are well burned and they seem to pair like a charm with the Canamp, the sound is more natural, real, fuller and with way better treble than the k701.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #68 of 100
The bass extension in the K701, provided that it is well amped, is much superior to the bass extension of K271. In this area it's really no comparison when they're both at their full potential; K701 is superior. I however do agree that K271 has a better balance in the midrange, and have said that all along. K701 has a upper mid peak which sounds good with certain songs but horrible with others, while K271 is neutral as it gets in terms of balance IMO. Highs are definitely more pronounced/boosted in the K271 overall, but I personally feel that its more natural on the K701's.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #69 of 100
Quote:

K701 has a upper mid peak which sounds good with certain songs but horrible with others

Well pointed out...This is practically the only big negative point on these cans.
Quote:

Highs are definitely more pronounced/boosted in the K271 overall, but I personally think that it's more natural on the K701's

I respectfully don´t agree, and this have to do with the first quoted statement about the weird mid peak. The K701 highs are sometimes so unrealistically magnified that become unvelievable. The lack of body on the mids -and the mid peak we´re talking about- leaves a hole on that part of the spectrum leaving the highs ¨unconnected¨ with the rest of the mix. On the other side, if you take a listen to some songs with cymbals or male vocals with your K271, you´ll see what´s my point immediately.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #70 of 100
Yeah, as I pointed out the comment was based on my personal opinion (admittingly I should have worded that better). Others may feel differently and I could understand why they would feel otherwise. I should also point out that I tend to be a bit sensitive to pronounced highs and K271 is just about right below that threshold that I can tolerate (any higher I'd have sold it). It's the reason why I personally cannot stand any Grados with bowls.

Of all my headphones, K271 probably has the most pronounced highs out of all of them bar the RS1 with bowls (the combination which I never use per reasons above; I use flats exclusively). It's great for monitoring that I use it for mainly and for shorter durations with music, but I eventually tire of it... ESW10JPN nails the highs the most perfectly for me out of all my headphones I have I'd say.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #71 of 100
The K701 and the K271 are so similar and so different, IMO both represent the extreme edges of the AKG sound. As analogy, I think of a distinguished well educated gentlemen and its more tangible younger brother who can also handle robust garden work and a beer with his buddies.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #72 of 100
Quote:

Yeah, as I pointed out the comment was based on my personal opinion (admittingly I should have worded that better).

You have worded right. Not every K701 user likes to talk about their weird mid -peak
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

The K701 and the K271 are so similar and so different, IMO both represent the extreme edges of the AKG sound. As analogy, I think of a distinguished well educated gentlemen and its more tangible younger brother who can also handle robust garden work and a beer with his buddies.

Well described. The K701 are great and seem they can scale easily when properly amped, with good IC´s...etc. But, believe me, the Canamp - K271 is a killer combo, also comes with two free gifts: isolation and bass
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #73 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fanboy here!

For my personal liking, they are flawless, except the work-to-rule deep bass section. Kickbass and mids are worldclass as compensation though.

If anyone is interested: They get a real performance boost if you equip them with dyed DT770 pads from headphile. That has been confirmed on many meets where they regularly embarrassed the shiny K701 crowd.

is it possible if you could pm that site? im kind of new to this and want to see how to improve these to a top notch headphones like the k70s. thanks.

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #74 of 100
Mar 2, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #75 of 100
Anyone went balanced with K271 ???
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don´t know if this site is still open for business... but they offer a a balance mod package for the K271. Check it out here
If I´m not wrong, a DIY balanced detachable cable can be made too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back