First Impressions: AKG K271 MkII
Mar 3, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #77 of 100
i didn't do a lot of comparisons while breaking-in the K271. the biggest change was in the soundstaging, becoming more "open" sounding over time, not as big as the K601, but on par to the DT990. i also think the K271 has a tad more bass than the K601, with better punch and transient attack from top to bottom.

still waiting for the headphile pads. i also have parts on order for a Cardas/Switchcraft re-cable.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #79 of 100
the dyed dt770 headphile pads came today. the ear opening in the pads are larger than the stock pads but have the same pad thickness. i don't have Dumbo ears, but the headphile pads do seat easier and are more comfortable.

initial impressions: the soundstage has opened up nicely, gaining some air, but without any other real losses in sonics. basically, they sound more like an open-backed K271, but without losing any of the K271's strengths. i would also like to comment on the most common criticism of these HPs, the weak bass. they don't have the bass of the DT990, but when driven by my B22/M3/Bijou, i feel the bass is well balanced and not lacking. so far, the headphile pads don't increase or decrease the bass quantity.

thanks to nickchen for bringing these pads to my attention
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #80 of 100
Good to hear that they seem to work for you.

Regarding the bass issue, I don't know (or forgot) which pads you had in usage before. My statement on the clearly increased bass was in comparison with the stock pleather pads and with K270 velours pads. I never listened to a K271 or K272 set of velours pads. If you order pads at the german Thomann site, you get whatever they have laying around...

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #81 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Regarding the bass issue, I don't know (or forgot) which pads you had in usage before. My statement on the clearly increased bass was in comparison with the stock pleather pads and with K270 velours pads. I never listened to a K271 or K272 set of velours pads. If you order pads at the german Thomann site, you get whatever they have laying around...

so you put k270 pad on the k271 headphones ?

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #82 of 100
Nope. Tried them and decided not to use them, they went into my tinker inventory and got used for some MS2i experiments months later.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #83 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting, if I read this right the difference between the right K271 velour pads and ones from headphile is just slightly expanded soundstage. Anyone knows what Beyer stock pads Larry is using for dying?

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #84 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, if I read this right the difference between the right K271 velour pads and ones from headphile is just slightly expanded soundstage. Anyone knows what Beyer stock pads Larry is using for dying?

Well, they are just 10 bucks, I went ahead and ordered a pair, will post results when they arrive. Stay tuned.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #85 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone went balanced with K271 ???
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don´t know if this site is still open for business... but they offer a a balance mod package for the K271. Check it out here
If I´m not wrong, a DIY balanced detachable cable can be made too.

Very interesting... has anyone tried the modded headphones?

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #86 of 100
Quote:

Well, they are just 10 bucks, I went ahead and ordered a pair, will post results when they arrive. Stay tuned.
smily_headphones1.gif

the headphile pads are velour dt770. the inner plastic/pleather skirt has perforated holes in them. i paid $50.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #87 of 100
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Turned out that $10 is the price when you buy them with the headphones, otherwise it's $56 shipped. Guess I'll pass.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #88 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the headphile pads are velour dt770. the inner plastic/pleather skirt has perforated holes in them. i paid $50.

I thought the back is perforated only on open beyer phones pads, DT880 and DT990. I tested DT880 pads on K271S a while back and they sounded really thin.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #89 of 100
Nope, most Beyer pads are perforated, at least DT660/770/880/990. Guess the sound differences result from different foam specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back