First Impressions: AKG K271 MkII
Mar 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #91 of 100
The AKG makes music and has mids that deserve that name, whereas the HFI 680 is the contradiction (the typical Ultrasone redneck Sssssh-Booom machine)
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #92 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear that they seem to work for you.

Regarding the bass issue, I don't know (or forgot) which pads you had in usage before. My statement on the clearly increased bass was in comparison with the stock pleather pads and with K270 velours pads. I never listened to a K271 or K272 set of velours pads. If you order pads at the german Thomann site, you get whatever they have laying around...

after putting some more time on these cans with the new pads, i understand where one would come to the conclusion that they have more bass. since instruments and voices sounds bigger, yes they have a bit more bass.

Andrew WOT,
i agree that the pads are pricey, but compared to the prices that cables can go for, $50 for the changes these pads have brought is, relatively speaking, a bargain.

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #93 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after putting some more time on these cans with the new pads, i understand where one would come to the conclusion that they have more bass. since instruments and voices sounds bigger, yes they have a bit more bass.

Andrew WOT,
i agree that the pads are pricey, but compared to the prices that cables can go for, $50 for the changes these pads have brought is, relatively speaking, a bargain.

DT770 pads are like $25 from Beyer, they are silver though. Wondering if that's the only difference.
beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR*-*DT 770 Ear Pads

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #95 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770 pads are like $25 from Beyer, they are silver though. Wondering if that's the only difference.

good question. i could care less if they were black or silver. the Manufaktur pic shows a black mesh in the center of the pads - this is not needed for the K271, nor did the headphile pads have the mesh.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #96 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT

Stock DT770 pads don't work on the K271. Taped DT770 pads work quite good, but they cut a slice off that sweet AKG mids. **Read here**
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced
nickchen 680s are different from 780s are you sure you've heard the 680?

It was the 680s I heared. If you like your Ultrasone, you'll propably hate the AKG sound.

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #97 of 100
hi guys. i have came down to 3 choices of headphones. which one would you refer for being portable, comfort, soundstage, and well little over a balanced bass?

AKG 271, beyer dt770, or senn 555 ?! =]
and if possible, anyone have pics that has at least 2 of the headphones sitting next to each other and compared to either a AT-AD700 or something?

thanks !

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #98 of 100
^ I have the first two headphones in your list, and prefer the K271 in every regard (more even frequencies, better fidelity, enjoyment, no fatigue/pain from excessive bass/highs). But unless you really need sound isolation or blockage I'd really recommend open headphones, which do not have a 'closed' sound (as all my 4 closed headphones have to some degree) and so generally do not sound as good as my open headphones. Keep in mind also that many headphones (K271) will not sound nearly as good unless you have an amplifier.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #99 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by eucariote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I have the first two headphones in your list, and prefer the K271 in every regard (more even frequencies, better fidelity, enjoyment, no fatigue/pain from excessive bass/highs). But unless you really need sound isolation or blockage I'd really recommend open headphones, which do not have a 'closed' sound (as all my 4 closed headphones have to some degree) and so generally do not sound as good as my open headphones. Keep in mind also that many headphones (K271) will not sound nearly as good unless you have an amplifier.

is it possible you could tell me how big they are ? maybe compared to the ad-700 which is gigantic
o2smile.gif
so the akg are closed and the beyer is opened headphones ? i probably not too serious about sound quality by getting amps, but some sort of nice headphones for all-around type of activities
(music,games,movies, etc).

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #100 of 100
I haven't had an AD700, but the A700 (closed version of AD700, same size) is certainly a good bit larger than the K271. The earcups are larger in both circumference and depth, and the headband is noticeably larger as well. Although the 271 are smaller, the biggest difference for portability is their simplistic build. I was always afraid of damaging the wing support system of the A700, but the K271 are built to bend and flex and are much much more suited to portable use.

Of course, the K271 is still a full-sized can, so it probably won't be everyone's first choice for portable, but it works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back