First Impressions: AKG K271 MkII
Feb 25, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #46 of 100
You are talking about which pads?

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #47 of 100
Alright, tried the K271 with and without the E1 last night using iPhone 3G as source as requested by Pianist...

I noticed that the main difference with the E1 was the microdetails, separation and overall smoothness, which I'd probably attribute to the LOD component of E1 rather than its amp. I also hear a miniscule soundstage increase, but nothing major at all. It made absolutely no difference in the bass area, which sounded thin with and without E1. Overall, you can indeed hear slight differences but definitely not to the level where I'd buy E1 just for the K271 or anything (unlike the uDAC, which does make a significant difference to the overall sound presentation). I'd say it's around 5% difference at best between E1 and unamped, mostly in detail and separation. It's obvious that K271 needs something that is much more powerful than E1 or iPhone internal amp to power it, especially if you want increase in the bass and overall dynamics.

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #48 of 100
Can someone please oblige me and say whether or not these cans would annoy someone sitting next to you in a library? Or are they really leakless?

Thanks

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #50 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are talking about which pads?

The colored DT770V pads by headphile that you advised me.

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #51 of 100
I went to Bay/Bloor Radio this morning and tried the AKG K272 HDs there with the velour pads on. The bass sounded very weak. Mids and highs were very nice though.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #52 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The colored DT770V pads by headphile that you advised me.

Sorry to hear that.
frown.gif

Then headphile obviously seems to have problems to achieve steady specs with its dyed pads. A buddy in the german forum also organised himself the headphile pads for his 271 last month, and he got the same audiophile miracle as me.

Hope fishski13 ends up with our experience and not with yours...

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #53 of 100
Well I got my K271 MKIIs today via UPS. Thought I would also add some initial impressions. First things I noticed were the addition of a velor pads and a second coiled cable are included in the box. I also felt after handling them that the headphones felt a bit cheap and light compared to how they look. In contrast the DT770 both looked and felt very solid which I liked. The dark blue color is ok but I would have preferred them to be black. Looks aside they seem to function very well. I changed between the two sets of pads and decided I like the velor better for comfort. Also handy which the beyers should have is the little notch on the rim of the K271 that aids in threading the earpad onto the headphone. As for sound I only played them quickly before I did some burn in. From the glimpse I heard I could tell they were very detailed with a very natural tone. Unlike previous closed headphones I have owned I did not feel claustrophobic or like I was in a cave. Anyway these were just my initial thoughts on these headphones.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Feb 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #54 of 100
I prefer them widely over any sort of DT770, but the Beyer still has better build quality, comfort and soundstaging.

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #55 of 100
i should have the pads mid next week. i have the K601 in the house to compare it to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I got my K271 MKIIs today via UPS. Thought I would also add some initial impressions. First things I noticed were the addition of a velor pads and a second coiled cable are included in the box. I also felt after handling them that the headphones felt a bit cheap and light compared to how they look. In contrast the DT770 both looked and felt very solid which I liked. The dark blue color is ok but I would have preferred them to be black. Looks aside they seem to function very well. I changed between the two sets of pads and decided I like the velor better for comfort. Also handy which the beyers should have is the little notch on the rim of the K271 that aids in threading the earpad onto the headphone. As for sound I only played them quickly before I did some burn in. From the glimpse I heard I could tell they were very detailed with a very natural tone. Unlike previous closed headphones I have owned I did not feel claustrophobic or like I was in a cave. Anyway these were just my initial thoughts on these headphones.

i think the build quality is great and they're very comfortable - tough and lightweight. i assume this serves the intended pro applications fine. btw, what amp are you using?

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #57 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone please oblige me and say whether or not these cans would annoy someone sitting next to you in a library? Or are they really leakless?

I'd say that they are nearly leakless. If I play very loud music and put them over my knee with a good seal, I can hear a very tiny whisper of music from 1 foot away. At normal volumes I don't hear anything. Be sure to bring a portable amplifier tho.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #58 of 100
What genres are these phones suited to? I listen to an eclectic mix... mostly rock (indie, folk, "experimental"), electronic (dubstep, IDM, elctropop, minimal tech) and some hip hop/rap and a tiny bit of Jazz and classic. What genres do these phones excel at?

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #59 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What genres are these phones suited to? I listen to an eclectic mix... mostly rock (indie, folk, "experimental"), electronic (dubstep, IDM, elctropop, minimal tech) and some hip hop/rap and a tiny bit of Jazz and classic. What genres do these phones excel at?

jazz > indie/folk rock > electronic > classical

It's mostly the lack of strong bass that makes them a little less than great with electronic (less powerful drums) and classical (cellos lose their oomph to my ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back