First Impressions: AKG K271 MkII
Feb 24, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #31 of 100
Does anybody know if the K271 will sound good out of AMP3 and/or MiniBox E+? When I owned them before, I just tired them unamped and they sounded quite bad - very flat and boring.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #32 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be the biggest difference between the headphile pads and the stock AKG velours?

Biggest difference is the bass and (related to that) the sheer musicality. The headphile pads bring out the half hidden Grado genes of the K271 completely, and they are the only exchange pads that don't alter the sweet mids. I also find them more comfortable and providing a bit better soundscape due to their different shape.

You can read about that more systematically here.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #33 of 100
After reading that, it really makes me want to try them out... but... damn, even here on the FS forums they go for $60 shipped for a pair... which almost makes the TTVJ flats seem cheap.
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #34 of 100
Yep, the price is steep, but it converts your K271 into K701 contenders, and in difference to those, they keep you tiptoening.

I was lucky though. I got mine as gift from NoXter, his DT880 had been (mis)equipped with those pads.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #35 of 100
I really want to try those pads!
IMHO, and for those looking for really neutral sounding cans the K271 are already K701 contenders. Especially if you like a fully accurate presentation of the material recorded.
K271 + Canamp= Expect and discover perfection
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #36 of 100
Hey K19, does your Fiio E1 make K271 sound any better compared to unamped?

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #37 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey K19, does your Fiio E1 make K271 sound any better compared to unamped?

Well, this is something that I haven't tried yet, or even thought of doing before... as I use my K271 at home and mainly for monitoring right now. For music I usually use it out of a uDAC in my secondary PC rig, which is a good match for them (and very rarely with my Pico->WA6, which is a even better match... but I got better headphones for my main rig so they hardly get time), but I'm not sure how E1 will do with them.

Anyways, I'll try it out with the E1 for a bit and get back to you tonight on how it is compared to unamped.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #38 of 100
Quote:

Well, this is something that I haven't tried yet, or even thought of doing before... as I use my K271 at home and mainly for monitoring right now. For music I usually use it out of a uDAC in my secondary PC rig, which is a good match for them (and very rarely with my Pico->WA6, which is a even better match... but I got better headphones for my main rig so they hardly get time), but I'm not sure how E1 will do with them.

Anyways, I'll try it out with the E1 for a bit and get back to you tonight on how it is compared to unamped.

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #40 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, the price is steep, but it converts your K271 into K701 contenders, and in difference to those, they keep you tiptoening.

I was lucky though. I got mine as gift from NoXter, his DT880 had been (mis)equipped with those pads.

Do you like these better then your closed back dt880?

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #41 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you like these better then your closed back dt880?

I don't know, they are too different.

The 880CB is laid back with emphasis on the lower registers, whereas the K271 is thrilling & precise, it's still a mids heavy can with a bone dry kickbass. The K271 sounds more natural, hence the genre bandwidth of the K271 is much wider. As electronicahead, the 880CB serves my personal listening habits better though (and it's more comfortable).

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #42 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Biggest difference is the bass and (related to that) the sheer musicality. The headphile pads bring out the half hidden Grado genes of the K271 completely, and they are the only exchange pads that don't alter the sweet mids. I also find them more comfortable and providing a bit better soundscape due to their different shape.

You can read about that more systematically here.

good to know - i want a pair of the pads! i don't see any pricing for these at headphile.com. i'll shoot Larry an email.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #44 of 100
pads ordered
normal_smile .gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #45 of 100
Quote:

What would be the biggest difference between the headphile pads and the stock AKG velours? Bit concerned since they're very expensive and the stock velours don't sound too great for me (I prefer the mids and tightness of the pleathers more; but this may be because of a seal problem) and don't fit too well for me either (not deep enough, my ears touch the driver foam).

In my experience it improved the comfort a bit, give you more room for your ears, for the sound it give you a more natural sound in the sense it is more airy like there is small holes on the cups (given how the pad are made its logical) the soundstage is bigger and more precise, the mids are more forward -like the high- ,the sound seem to have more detail too (because the bass less hide them).

BUT

I found out there is not enough bass with them and it give a too thin sound, and it lost some musicality, again it depend on your gear / ears, i test it on a compass but my azur 340a have like a bass boost vs the compass so its depend of the gear you are using and the sound you are after, if you want a precise sound ( that can be too thin on some records) with big soundstage take a K601/k701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back