First Customs, soo many choices 1694 or UM
May 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ddkyd

Head-Fier
Just lost (got stolen) my beloved Senn IE8's. I will miss the two wonderful years I had with them.

Now, I have Decided that it is time to look into set of customs.

My budget is about $700 including impression and shipping and the whole deal. 

Last time I looked into some customs it was all about JH Audio. Now days, there seems to be lot more affordable choices.

Two that I am looking into are 1964Q and one of the models from Unique Melody (Aero, as its the only one that fits my budget)
I have done lots of reading on both 1964 and UM appreciation threads and came out more
unsure.

Is there other companies I should look into beside these two?

I do see Kozee Sound Solution, but only model I would be interested from them would be Infinity x3, which will go over my budget and trying really hard to stay within it.

Also, for people who might own iems from both 1964 and UM, how do their workmanship 
differ?

May 5, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Im sorry for your loss, id go used and get a pair of JH13 and than go to the audiologist office and it should be about $60 to get an impression. Than $90 for a reshell at Fisher

I already got the impression done this morning actually for $50 bucks.
Never thought about that route. $90 Reshell at Fisher Audio sounds like a steal, do they retain the  the sound signature of original earphones? If $90 is spent on reshelling, I have about $600 left for used pair of JH13.

May 5, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 12
I don't understand how the Kozee X3 goes over your budget?  And check here for all of your options, as you have many many more!  In the first post of that thread I have summary reviews you can check out.  I am in process of writing the Thousand Sound TS842 review and will also be getting some other custom IEMs in your price range.  While no custom I have heard sounds like the IE8 (at least in your price range as the EM3 Pro is somewhat close), there are some that have similar characteristics.  

May 5, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I don't understand how the Kozee X3 goes over your budget?  And check here for all of your options, as you have many many more!  In the first post of that thread I have summary reviews you can check out.  I am in process of writing the Thousand Sound TS842 review and will also be getting some other custom IEMs in your price range.  While no custom I have heard sounds like the IE8 (at least in your price range as the EM3 Pro is somewhat close), there are some that have similar characteristics.  

Thanks, X3 it goes over budget since since which ever one i get, i will be hit wit 13% tax when it reaches Canadian customs. And of course the shipping fees.

Man, I don't know how I missed that massive thread. 
I see there are whole lot more choices. 
I am not quite looking for similar sound as IE8, always down for trying new sound.
How would you rate the workmanship of these manufacturers? any better than another?

Just gonna head over and start reading that thread. Thanks again

May 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I already got the impression done this morning actually for $50 bucks.
Never thought about that route. $90 Reshell at Fisher Audio sounds like a steal, do they retain the  the sound signature of original earphones? If $90 is spent on reshelling, I have about $600 left for used pair of JH13.

Ok, in different area the audiologist pricing is different ($30 in the Detroit area) and the sound should be the same. JH13 go for about $600-$650 max. Good luck

May 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 12
I would recommend getting your reshells done by UM rather than Fischer Audio.  Even though it's a bit more expensive and you may have to wait a few extra weeks, the increase in quality is worth it in my opinion.  I have had reshells done by Fischer Audio before and while they're not bad, there are certain parts lacking which makes me wish that I had paid a little more and gotten them done by UM instead.  For headphones as expensive as the JH13's, the slight difference in price would be worth it all the more.  UM does a lot of extra checks to balance your drivers and test the speakers which I'm pretty sure Fischer doesn't do, and their workmanship is probably the very best available.

May 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 12
Really? I'm going back to China next week. Perhaps I should take my TF10s and CK10s and SE535s and UE700s and get them ALL reshelled there. Wouldn't that be something.
gs1000.gif

Quote:
I would recommend getting your reshells done by UM rather than Fischer Audio.  Even though it's a bit more expensive and you may have to wait a few extra weeks, the increase in quality is worth it in my opinion.  I have had reshells done by Fischer Audio before and while they're not bad, there are certain parts lacking which makes me wish that I had paid a little more and gotten them done by UM instead.  For headphones as expensive as the JH13's, the slight difference in price would be worth it all the more.  UM does a lot of extra checks to balance your drivers and test the speakers which I'm pretty sure Fischer doesn't do, and their workmanship is probably the very best available.

May 5, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 12
Thousand Sound also reshells and has excellent build quality at a better price, but they only want to deal with customers in China for reshells.  

And as far as audiologist prices, they vary widely.  If you go with Kozee you will get a self-impression kit if you are comfortable doing so with the cost of the custom.

May 5, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Really? I'm going back to China next week. Perhaps I should take my TF10s and CK10s and SE535s and UE700s and get them ALL reshelled there. Wouldn't that be something.
gs1000.gif

=P I'd love to do that if I had the money.

I managed to get my impressions done at a local Sears hearing center for $20 only, it doesn't look too hard to do either.
Thousand Sound sounds interesting, do they have a website or something?  

May 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for suggestions!
I'm seriously considering waiting for decently priced JH13 used to show up on sales forum, and reshelling them.

Gonna send an email to folks at Thousand Sound and see how strict they are on reshelling only within China as
I take average_joes opinion very highly~~ (after the custom IEM Resource thread, how can you not)

Now I just gotta justify spending couple hundred more than my original budget...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back