FIRST 5.5 GEN IMOD IMPRESSIONS!
Jun 3, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #121 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 4'th gen iMod that I have had almost since Winnie started doing the iMod. I use it mostly with a portable amp but also with my speaker rig and this is where I can se a problem with the new configuration. You will now either need two ALO cables, one with the usual male plug to fit the amp but also either one with female plug so you can continue to use your current mini-rca cable or one that goes straight to rca. Of course you could get a female to rca cable made and get away with just one ALO cable but any way you look at it you are either going to end up with 2 cables to connect it to the stereo or you are going to have to buy extra cables.

I here ya. The nature of the beast I guess I have bought 2 cables so far and need one for my home stereo now. The good news is Ken at ALO will have sweet wooden iMOD docks soon and the caps will be in the dock so cable use will be endless.

I have a set of cz madigrils that are 500 interconnects that I will with my HR-2 once the dock becomes available.

These are some sick cables!!!!!!!!

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #123 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noticing some very nice instrument separation along with the clarity. Quite incredible really. Compared to my stock IPOD Line Out I would describe it like this.

With the stock ipod and quality amp and ALO dock the instruments have there own location within the sound stage but a more general area. (ie. left-back, right-front, rear-center.. etc)

With new 5.5G IMOD the separation now becomes so detailed and accurate that for instance with classical you can audibly determine the row and even the seat number the performer is playing in! AMAZING!

MORE TO COME........

Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think your placebo needs some adjusting

rotflmao @ terance

@ trose, really? I envisage a game where you listen to a recording a head-fier attended and you doing a Q&A
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #124 of 343
Quote:

How much of a difference with the iMOD will I notice over the stock headphone out?

OH MY GOD! your in for a treat!

I was using just a ALO line out cable to amp and that makes a big improvement so with the IMOD in the mix it will be even more noticeable to you.

Don't expect it to be like this big whack on the head difference at first because you will need time to appreciate what the differences are before you can judge.

My recommendation:

Listen to your iMOD through the stock headphone jack when you get it back for at least an hour. (I know it is gonna kill ya). But do it anyway it will help you re-confirm you purchase was worth it trust me!

Now hook up you iMOD-set-up with the amp, ALO cable etc. [size=x-small](I should not have to say this but don't use the headphone jack now)[/size]

You will notice a difference but maybe not as much as you expected. Listen to it this way for an hour or so try some different tunes that you know well.

After the hour change back to the stock headphone out.

Try some of the same tunes you just played!

[size=large]BAM![/size] Thats when your gonna hear what you just bought.

Your ears don't realize improvements in sound quality as MUCH AS they notice a degradation in the sound.

From that point forward you will NEVER listen to your IMOD thru the headphone jack again I promise you that.

[size=x-small]This is only my opinion and does not reflect the views of anyone other than ME!
[/size]

I totally agreed. I have the same experience. For some reason, our ears pick up degradation better than improvement. Try it
cool.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #125 of 343
Clarity & Details continue to keep emerging more and more every day. Up to about 40 HRS do far. Its a pain using the battery to burn-in though.

Come-on Ken work your magic!! LOL!!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #127 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
«Coming Soon: TOP SECRET , Beyer DT880 600ohm Customs , 5.5 GEN RED WINE IMOD»

If I understand correctly this last part is no more a secret....
icon10.gif

Amicalement

NOPE not even close!

3 Items! ONE STILL BIG SECRET!!! DELAYS DELAYS!!!

1) Top Secret
2) Beyer's
3) IMOD

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #128 of 343
since the caps are in the dock, why dont you plug the rca end into another source, the dock into the ipod, then play music with the ipod off, so signal would flow from the source through the LOD and caps, then into the ipod (turned off).

That way you won't have to use the battery powered ipod..

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #129 of 343
Quote:

1) Top Secret
2) Beyer's
3) IMOD

Oups...I was on the impression that all the items were a secret (like hiding from your wife...
wink.gif
)

It's more clear, to me, now. One observation about the iMod sticker. I.m always happy to avoid any explanation to my girlfriend (the 4 g went unnoticed unless one can count that she find me strangely insisting on using an amp with it...
biggrin.gif
). I have point somewhere...haa yes......the new sticker could become a malediction....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Amicalement

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #130 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by a shovel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since the caps are in the dock, why dont you plug the rca end into another source, the dock into the ipod, then play music with the ipod off, so signal would flow from the source through the LOD and caps, then into the ipod (turned off).

NO DO NOT DO THIS!

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #132 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If its following any sort of pattern... either there is a new amp coming or you have a cable made from the hairs of the endangered Visayan warty pig

blink.gif

Thats funny!

NOPE AND.......NOPE!!!

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #133 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by a shovel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=xx-large]WARNING!!!![/size]

Do not attempt this method for burn in!!!!

I spoke to vinnie personally and the IMOD line-out is[size=large] EXIT ONLY!!!![/size]

[size=large]You Can Damage your IMOD and possible the SOURCE!!!![/size]

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #135 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 4'th gen iMod that I have had almost since Winnie started doing the iMod. I use it mostly with a portable amp but also with my speaker rig and this is where I can se a problem with the new configuration. You will now either need two ALO cables, one with the usual male plug to fit the amp but also either one with female plug so you can continue to use your current mini-rca cable or one that goes straight to rca. Of course you could get a female to rca cable made and get away with just one ALO cable but any way you look at it you are either going to end up with 2 cables to connect it to the stereo or you are going to have to buy extra cables.

I am not thinking of purchasing the new iMod, maybe the old one, since I already have a 4th gen Ipod (it will certainly much cheaper for me). However, I think that, if I ever want to try this new iMod, I would love to have a dock with a female mini out like the turbo dock, so that it will allow us to use our existing cables and spend less... Maybe Ken can do something about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back