FIRST 5.5 GEN IMOD IMPRESSIONS!
Jun 3, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #92 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to get 10 hours easy with my 4G iMod...with a stock battery

I belive you there. The 4G's had a big back and a bigger battery than the new 5.5 Gens

No way 18HRs with lossless on a 5G unless it's connected to a car battery!

Jun 3, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #93 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No way 18HRs with lossless on a 5G unless it's connected to a car battery!

I beg to differ...I probably was pushing 18 hrs on my 5.5G 80gb'er with Lossless music. But that was only if I just let it sit there and run with stock EQ settings. But if I fiddled with the click wheel a lot and used a different EQ setting, that would significantly cut down the battery life.

Jun 3, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #94 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I beg to differ...I probably was pushing 18 hrs on my 5.5G 80gb'er with Lossless music. But that was only if I just let it sit there and run with stock EQ settings. But if I fiddled with the click wheel a lot and used a different EQ setting, that would significantly cut down the battery life.

OK IF YOU SAY SO!

Would seem crazy that many do not get that kinda time yet some due. Maybe is a IPOD issue?

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #96 of 343
Wow you guys are lucky. Best I ever got was 12 hours in an airplane flight where it was in shuffle mode (the most battery-efficient supposedly) where I never turned it off. But with any amount of messing with it I get quite a bit less. Not that it really matters - I never really need more.

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #97 of 343
Quote:

My stock battery must have been a bit worn to get 2-3.5 hours huh?

Not really. Don't you remember a couple of years back there were 2 brothers that were running a smear campaign and trying to sue Apple for their lies about battery life. They took the silhouette ads that Apple was putting up as billboards in all the major US cities and changed them to attack Ipod.

After a hundred or so charges, people with 3G's (including myself) were only getting 1-3 hours...which started the invasion of Ebay sales of kits to replace your own Ipod batteries, tools to open it included. Li-Ion should get 300 charges before needing replacements.

Apple generously offered a battery change for you for only $90
plainface.gif
(that was a sarcastic remark BTW).

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #98 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really. Don't you remember a couple of years back there were 2 brothers that were running a smear campaign and trying to sue Apple for their lies about battery life. They took the silhouette ads that Apple was putting up as billboards in all the major US cities and changed them to attack Ipod.

After a hundred or so charges, people with 3G's (including myself) were only getting 1-3 hours...which started the invasion of Ebay sales of kits to replace your own Ipod batteries, tools to open it included. Li-Ion should get 300 charges before needing replacements.

Apple generously offered a battery change for you for only $90
plainface.gif
(that was a sarcastic remark BTW).

My Ipod wasnt that old when it started getting stuck on songs for no reason. The apple store replaced it with a refurb factory unit which I believe didnt have a perfectly new battery or something along that line!

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #99 of 343
Quote:

I cant believe that!

Vinnie says he gets around 8 hours with Stock Battery. I am using an upgraded batt and 10 hours is about max.

Well, s'truth. 7:00 AM to 7:40 PM lossless without pauses except to change playlists two or three times. I'm burning this one in and since it's a refurb wanted to check battery freshness/charge. I have the 4g IMOD as I noted in my post. 6-7 hours playing lossless seems short to me, but since the IMOD and the "regular" 5.5 should have the same battery life I'll try mine out tomorrow. Anyway, seems like it sounds amazing and that's the main thing. Congrats on being the first to land one of these and thanks for the updates -- I'd love to hear one but suspect it'll be a while...

best,

o

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #100 of 343
I read somewhere that your iPod battery will last longer if you never let it run all the way down, but keep it above 1/2 charge as much as possible. I also know that adjusting the backlight settings helps preserve battery. I think you can even adjust the brightness on the 5.5 gen. But if you're not touching it, then the back light wouldn't come into play. Just some ideas.

But anyway, I guess this is one advantage of the 4g. The ability to play it while charging.

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #101 of 343
A good article from Apple on iPod batteries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere that your iPod battery will last longer if you never let it run all the way down, but keep it above 1/2 charge as much as possible. I also know that adjusting the backlight settings helps preserve battery. I think you can even adjust the brightness on the 5.5 gen. But if you're not touching it, then the back light wouldn't come into play. Just some ideas.

But anyway, I guess this is one advantage of the 4g. The ability to play it while charging.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #102 of 343
I'm a little confused. Is there any reason a 5g iMod playing lossless files should have different battery performance than a stock 5g playing lossless files through a normal line-out? -CK

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #103 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are right. Like most other portable devices, ipod/imod are using Lithium-ion battery. Here is a little info you might wanna know about lithium battery.

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

If you wanna know about lithium battery, go to this site :
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Hope this is useful
eggosmile.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #104 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbird1927 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right. Like most other portable devices, ipod/imod are using Lithium-ion battery. Here is a little info you might wanna know about lithium battery.

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

If you wanna know about lithium battery, go to this site :
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Hope this is useful
eggosmile.gif

I am glad you found and posted this, it is good information to pass along. Thanks.

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #105 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a little confused. Is there any reason a 5g iMod playing lossless files should have different battery performance than a stock 5g playing lossless files through a normal line-out? -CK

Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back