FIRST 5.5 GEN IMOD IMPRESSIONS!
Jun 2, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #76 of 343
Every time I listen to my 4G iModded iPod I am mesmerize at how good it sounds. It is hard going back to listen to my other Non-iModded iPod specially when using a high quality amp and cans. Yes, another happy iMod customer here.

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #77 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trose49, good thought on the thread. Looks like alot of people have been thread jacking but the concept is good and of interest to alot of us Imod faithful. I have had the 4g Imod for about a year now and have been very happy. I think that one of the greatest improvements for me has been as I like to put it....the Imod gives you a pure black background that lets the music sing its song as it was intended. The seperation is much better as you mentioned and it is all in the details. Considering that Vinnie recommends his Imod and personnally uses it as his source with his Signature 30 and 70 series monoblocks in his home speaker set up is a testiment in itself to the quality that can be achieved.

The Imod is not inexpensive as many have mentioned but when compared to the cost of other quality sources it is indeed a bargain in my opinion. Choice and value are very subjective and in interest of gaining opinion on the new Imod, I think that cost issues should be laid to rest or perhaps addressed in another thread. The Imod offers a great solution to quality audio in a small portable set up...no more carrying around all your CDs. So give it the credit it is due and take into account the benefits of what it offers in a highly portable, easily accessible solution.

As with all things, if you don't want it, don't get it but let Trose49 run the thread which is "5.5 Imod Impressions." Not trying to be an a#$ here but it is a valid thread of interest and we should respect it for what it was intended. I look forward to further opinions on the 4g Imod versus the 5/5.5g Imod sounds and signatures. I love the 4g Imod but am running out of space and am interested in what Vinnie and ALO have come up with for audiophiles now!
orphsmile.gif

Thanks for putting in writing what I'm sure a lot of iMod owners have been thinking while reading all these critical posts.
I am eager to hear more people review the new 5G/5.5G iMod, and as I stated before, hopefully we'll start to get 4G vs. 5G/5.5G comparisons soon too.

Just another very satisfied iMod owner.
etysmile.gif

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #78 of 343
What about effects on battery life?

Are the ALO refurb units 5.5G?

In reference to what I was posting about before with the price - yes, I understand all those arguments, and in fact I probably won't get an imod for a while because ultimately I use my portable player on the move and I think the environment is wrong for high-end listening. But you have to wonder when the bitter taste from spending so much kicks in.

The other part of my distaste other than lack of choice only struck me recently - why the fudge do we have to pay SO much to get good quality audio? Why should good sound on any setup cost so much? How did we let it spiral out of control? answer is that whilst it might only cost each of us a few $$ to replicate the cable, nobody can be bothered (like me) to learn how. Unfortunately the mass public is not discerning and that is why IWA and ALO can be exorbitant because they have audiophiles at the end of the gun so to speak.

Sure, I don't have to buy anything, but my desire for less than crappy audio quality shouldn't mean I go hungry.

Have to admit, I would love to have the expertise to make my own imod dock. Anyone want to make me one? lol.

And no, I'm not off topic - because first impressions have to overcome the sticker shock and justify it either through fact or placebo. This is a crucial bit in first and lasting impressions.

What did Mill say? He said that no matter how sure we are of something - i.e. how good our imod is- such a belief is pointless unless challenged by tards (me) to make it a valuable belief (placebo + other stuff > insolvency), not dead dogma (placebo wow).

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #79 of 343
Maybe Vinnie and ALO should build a box, seal it (of course put the iMod inside), and charge a much bigger price in the 5 figure range like a lot of others. Then maybe they could gets some respect from some of their detractors.

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #80 of 343
Yeah, I think some of these people need to start their own thread. The title could be, "Reasons I think the iMod is a waste of money, even though I've never heard one."

The iMod clearly isn't for everybody. Just as electrostatics aren't for everybody, and $12,000 speakers aren't for everybody. At this point in my life, I can't imagine ever paying more than $500 for headphones or more than $1000 on speakers. But I do the vast majority of my music listening on an ipod, and so the iMod was worth it to me. I bought the 4g version, and I am 100% satisfied with the sound.

If you don't do a lot of listening with a portable digital player, or if you are already 100% satisfied with your sound, the iMod clearly isn't for you. So go post on some threads that are relevant to your needs.

Jun 2, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #81 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other part of my distaste other than lack of choice only struck me recently - why the fudge do we have to pay SO much to get good quality audio? Why should good sound on any setup cost so much? How did we let it spiral out of control? answer is that whilst it might only cost each of us a few $$ to replicate the cable, nobody can be bothered (like me) to learn how. Unfortunately the mass public is not discerning and that is why IWA and ALO can be exorbitant because they have audiophiles at the end of the gun so to speak.

Yeah, and you could get a house for cheaper if you built it yourself, not to mention clothes that you made yourself, or a computer that you assembled yourself, or any number of things that you use every day. The cost of parts is always less that the cost of the final product. Otherwise, nobody would ever make a living selling anything.

The audiophile world is a free market. If somebody could make a living building and selling iMods for less money than Vinnie, and they sounded just as good, they would probably do very well for themselves. But nobody has, and I doubt that they will.

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #82 of 343
In regard to battery life I purchased a 580mah battery and had vinnie replace my battery when he modded it. With my stock battery and lossless fies I would only get approx 3hrs tops when surfing around maybe a 3. 5 if I let it play straight thru

With the new battery I am getting 10 plus hrs using lossless during my burn-in process.

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #83 of 343
Good to hear the Imod faithful...lol. I'll tell you that in my dealings with Vinnie he really is a great guy. I agree that once I had the Imod that my other Ipod has really been put by the wayside. I use it at the gym a bit but other than that I think that I will ship it out to my little brother as it is well worn. I had some Creedence on earlier and a bit of the Doors and it is quite amazing the detail that you have there. I get goosebumps from listening to the intro to Riders on the Storm....you can literaly almost feel the rain drops coming down and then the tap of the cymbals....just bueatiful. I remember when I first received my Imod and started listening. I didn't really burn it in at all, just sat down and ran it through its paces. I was just enjoying the music and then one day around the 100 hour mark it just opened up and blew me away. It only gets better. I can't imagine looking back....that is the main reason that I was so interested in the 5th gen Imod...the 4g Ipods are going to run out someday. Happy listening guys.

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #84 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In regard to battery life I purchased a 580mah battery and had vinnie replace my battery when he modded it. With my stock battery and lossless fies I would only get approx 3hrs tops when surfing around maybe a 3. 5 if I let it play straight thru

With the new battery I am getting 10 plus hrs using lossless during my burn-in process.

You're only getting 10 hours per charge?

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #85 of 343
If you play lossless, that's the best you're gonna get.

Jun 2, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #86 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was getting a lot better battery life than that with my 80gb 5.5G iPod when I had it. Or my memory is failing me...which usually doesn't happen. I could have sworn that I was getting 15-18 hours per charge running all lossless.

Jun 2, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #87 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was getting a lot better battery life than that with my 80gb 5.5G iPod when I had it. Or my memory is failing me...which usually doesn't happen. I could have sworn that I was getting 15-18 hours per charge running all lossless.

I makes a difference with what format you are using. If you used the default then I would expect the projected battery life otherwise I would expect for lossless formats shorter life.

Jun 2, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #88 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've just clocked 12 hours on my 40 gb IMOD playing lossless files exclusively and about 7-10% of the battery remaining. My IMOD battery is stock. I'd say 12-14 lossless from fully charged would be the limit with the 4g IMOD stock. I get 15-plus easily with my 5.5 (unmodded)iPod playing lossless files. So 15-18 hours sounds right to me.

best,

o

Jun 2, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #89 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just clocked 12 hours on my 40 gb IMOD playing lossless files exclusively and about 7-10% of the battery remaining. My IMOD battery is stock. I'd say 12-14 lossless from fully charged would be the limit with the 4g IMOD stock. I get 15-plus easily with my 5.5 (unmodded)iPod playing lossless files. So 15-18 hours sounds right to me.

best,

o

I cant believe that!

Vinnie says he gets around 8 hours with Stock Battery. I am using an upgraded batt and 10 hours is about max.

Jun 3, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #90 of 343
Apple quotes 14hrs for 30GB and 20HRs for 80GB music play-back only. Im assuming this is at the default rate of 128aac.

I believe the 80GB has more cache and a bigger battery than the 30GB.

The combanation must alot for the extra 6 hours. Since my battery is not stock I leave it out of the equation.

I didnt ask Vinnie if he was using a 30GB or 80GB.

I hope a 30GB at only 8 Hours.

My stock battery must have been a bit worn to get 2-3.5 hours huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back