FIRST 5.5 GEN IMOD IMPRESSIONS!
Jun 1, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #46 of 343
Awesome!
Can't wait for the iMod nano and a matching ALO dock cable.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #47 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he has valid point since it's double the price for international buyers. Also pays the duties and taxes with higher price than previous iMod and cables. Anyway i can't wait for the full impression of iMod and compare to 4G iMod(maybe not quite possible yet).

It's not RED WINE's fault other countries charge duties and Tax.

Yes it sucks but you cant ask a manufacturer to lower cost of producing a product because a different country wants to tax it.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #48 of 343
I need some comparisons between 4G and this... NOW!
icon10.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #49 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some comparisons between 4G and this... NOW!
icon10.gif

I think Im the only one that has one other then Ken and Vinnie!

I just dont own a 4G sorry!

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #50 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Considering you can get 80GB ipods off Tottenham court road in London with some bargaining for $400, that is rather pricey.

Yes, but the cost of the IMod and the Virgin/British Airways tickets to get to Tottenham court road in London would be expensive. I think I'd rather order from Vinnie and Ken
evil_smiley.gif

Although...they say that London is nice this time of year, with all it's spring colours
icon10.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #51 of 343
This probably has already been answered somewhere, but what's the battery life on this beast?

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #52 of 343
First thing - yes, I guess there is nothing vendors can do about tax, but it's still a pain in the ass. I at least have a NY address I can get it sent to though, so no biggie.

Thing that really got me miffed was that I HAVE to get the ALO dock for $110. No choice. That's it. I can't even get a cheap 20EUR Qables dock. has to be all the way up to $110. You might find that there is a noticeable step up from 20EUR to $110, but I have my own doubts.

So $400 to buy a 5.5G ipod.
$250 for the RWA mod
$110 for the cable.
So $760

Unless I buy a 5G unit straight from ALO for $550+110 so $660.

Perhaps I haven't been here long enough but to me $760 is a fair hunk of change on a portable player. And there were people thinking $500 for the kenwood was a lot.
And then we still have to add an amp to either of these.

Sure, I spent $430 on a DAC, but for $300 I got myself MDRSA5000s and for $180 HD595s.

Question is: IS RWA imod on the 5.5G that much of a big deal to warrant $360?

I'm sure you guys will say yes, and normally I would be on the bandwagon, but for the first time something inside me is saying - hey wait. whiskey tango foxtrot.

p.s. If i could do all the mods to make my own wire I'm sure I'll find it will cost more than $110 in wasted attempts because I'm useless at this stuff and I would be able to mod my ipod myself anyway and not need the RWA service.

Yes, sure I'm being combative here, but I'm not sure it isn't remiss of me.

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #53 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thing that really got me miffed was that I HAVE to get the ALO dock for $110. No choice. That's it. I can't even get a cheap 20EUR Qables dock.

As I posted before... you could get a $2 ipod connector from qables.com, two 1$ 0.47uF axially leaded metalized polyester caps, wire for 3$ a meter and a 2$ 3.5mm connector and some shrink tubing. this is even cheaper than a qables dock...

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #54 of 343
One can always buy a iPod 4g and have Vinne mod it and use a regular Dock out that cost 15$.

No one is making anyone buy a 32,000$ DAC or CP or Amp either or how about those 200,000$ speakers?

Should we make the government make anything that is priced over a certain amount illegal? Or the government could may any seller selling whatever pay over a certain amount in taxes. This would ensure that anything costing more than that amount would not be built or available.

We could all be equal except then we would need a government beauarcy to ensure that no one has DIY'ed anything to make it better. Then the DIY'er would have to pay a fine for whatever arbitrary value could be assigned.

evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #55 of 343
i do agree with chris ah1 to some extent.

imod is for people that have the extra cash to spend. or for those that already have some very high end sources and good equipments at home, getting an imod completes their portable and home sources. or for ppl who are serious audio enthusiasts.

if you dont have anything else, i would definitely go against getting an imod. for the money, ppl can get some very very good sources. and i'm not so sure imod competes with them.

i think there is some improvements and some placebo to justify the kind of money. it's kinda like eating porsciutto and ham.

i am interested in reading some comparisons btw ori zhaolu, apogee mini-dac, other sources in the price range and the imod.

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #56 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one is making anyone buy a 32,000$ DAC or CP or Amp either or how about those 200,000$ speakers?

worth is hard to justify and everyone has their own opinion. ask steve jobs to get an imod, i bet you he'll say that's just change money.

but you dont have to get defensive, especially looking at what you sig tell us.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
you are a 5g imod owner.

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #57 of 343
This new iMod is great for those who use lossless it seems. I have 100% compressed music on mine and I've read that there is not a big benefit in this case. I also don't use my iPod for critical listening, it's for fun listening.

I would love to hear the difference between stock & iMod. For me the cost does not make sense.

Today I am strong
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #59 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to hear the difference between stock & iMod. For me the cost does not make sense.

Today I am strong
evil_smiley.gif

I use lossless and still am not interested for my needs. I stand strong too!
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #60 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
worth is hard to justify and everyone has their own opinion. ask steve jobs to get an imod, i bet you he'll say that's just change money.

Steve Jobs...walking around with an independant modification on his cash cow. That would be quite a sight.

BTW- To anyone that thinks that this product is expensive...don't buy it. We waste $7 on a beer at a gentlemen's bar (not me of course) which costs $0.75 at Pathmark (not the one off Tottenham Court Road) and then say other things are extravagant. To each his own.

But to complain about the price in a forum...do you (not anybody in particular) look at "New Today'" in the Marketplace at Audiogon, or read Stereophile, or Modern Yachting, or Mountain Bike magazines.

There are a lot of microbrew audio component companies out there and someone must be buying their stuff, otherwise they wouldn't make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back