FIRST 5.5 GEN IMOD IMPRESSIONS!
Jun 1, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #32 of 343
Noticing some very nice instrument separation along with the clarity. Quite incredible really. Compared to my stock IPOD Line Out I would describe it like this.

With the stock ipod and quality amp and ALO dock the instruments have there own location within the sound stage but a more general area. (ie. left-back, right-front, rear-center.. etc)

With new 5.5G IMOD the separation now becomes so detailed and accurate that for instance with classical you can audibly determine the row and even the seat number the performer is playing in! AMAZING!

MORE TO COME........

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #34 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With new 5.5G IMOD the separation now becomes so detailed and accurate that for instance with classical you can audibly determine the row and even the seat number the performer is playing in! AMAZING!

MORE TO COME........

I think your placebo needs some adjusting

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #35 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MORE TO COME........

I thought I would use my first post here to say, good god, you must have great ears.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #36 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by carter1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I would use my first post here to say, good god, you must have great ears.

I meant that in comparison to stock there was that much of a difference.

NOT LITERALLY!

Tuba in 3rd row left side of the stage 3 seats from the middle!!!! LOL!!!
wink.gif

Let me calm my excitement and say that instruments are much more accurately placed. WHEW!

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #37 of 343
Could you tell us little more about bass and mids on new 5.5G iMod ipod
icon10.gif
?.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #38 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you tell us little more about bass and mids on new 5.5G iMod ipod
icon10.gif
?.

The bass on the Darths which is all ive tried has tamed the Darths a bit and that's a good thing. The Bass is more detailed, tighter and less boomy so far. Im sure this will be more noticable when the Caps Burn-in.

Darths are always gonna be Bassy thats the idea of em but in comparison they now are more balanced then before which I like.

I would say that before the IMOD Darths sounded very warm with slightly rolled off highs and an 18" Ported Subwoofer under your seat.

After the IMOD Darths are a little less warm much more detailed highs and a 12" Closed Subwoofer under your seat.

The Mids are a bit less in your face and balances better with the other freqs. Darths were always very relaxing to me I went up to listen for bit more last nite around 10:00 just to listen in for a few songs but with the newer creamier Mids I ended up Passing out from the pure enjoyment of the music.

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #39 of 343
congrats on the purchase. i've been wondering for awhile why you never got the imod... i just ordered a 5.5G ipod myself and will get one soon, so i'll be able to compare to my 4G imod.

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #40 of 343
HOLY FOOK - $110 for a cable? I have to pay all that just for the pleasure of an imod?

Why not have a budget cable or one included with the imod????
Here, buy this product....but wait...to use it you must also buy this other thing. Don't insult us so just package it as $660 stock.
Considering you can get 80GB ipods off Tottenham court road in London with some bargaining for $400, that is rather pricey.

$550 for the ipod, $110 for the cable and $35 for shipping. Then add duties and taxes so $695+taxes.....$900+ including VAT and duties??? What????

I'm not sure whether I'm more horrified at the price or the fact I am actually considering getting it.

Any news on how the imod affects 5.5G battery life?

This worries me though:
"Do NOT use any other dock cable with your 5G/5.5G iMod or damage *may* occur to your amplifier and/or headphones/speakers. We are NOT responsible for any misuse."

Does that mean I cannot charge the player *AND* play music? Even if I'm listening with headphone out? Unless of course I buy the bulkier $300 cable that will be coming with a power plug capability.

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #41 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOLY FOOK - $110 for a cable? I have to pay all that just for the pleasure of an imod?

Why not have a budget cable or one included with the imod????
Here, buy this product....but wait...to use it you must also buy this other thing. Don't insult us so just package it as $660 stock.
Considering you can get 80GB ipods off Tottenham court road in London with some bargaining for $400, that is rather pricey.

$550 for the ipod, $110 for the cable and $35 for shipping. Then add duties and taxes so $695+taxes.....$900+ including VAT and duties??? What????

I'm not sure whether I'm more horrified at the price or the fact I am actually considering getting it.

Any news on how the imod affects 5.5G battery life?

This worries me though:
"Do NOT use any other dock cable with your 5G/5.5G iMod or damage *may* occur to your amplifier and/or headphones/speakers. We are NOT responsible for any misuse."

Does that mean I cannot charge the player *AND* play music? Even if I'm listening with headphone out? Unless of course I buy the bulkier $300 cable that will be coming with a power plug capability.

Make sure you read the Red-Wine page well!

There is valid reasons for all the above you quoted.

First off you dont have to buy a new IMOD from Ken you can send you existing one to Vinnie at Red Wine or pick up a used one and send it in.

It cost $249 to have the mod done period.

The previous 4G IMOD had Black Caps in the Ipod itself because they FIT! The 4G units were much thicker.

The only way to MOD a 5G IPOD was for Vinnie to work out a solution with someone who could build quality docks that could incorporate the caps into the cable.

This is where ALO comes in. Ken came up with cable options with the caps built in so the IMOD would work. Thus the extra cost.

Most people here are used to paying $100+ for a quality cable. Just the way it is.

You can charge your unit normally and use the headphone jack while charging its the dock that has been modified.

You can not Just plop your IMOD into a normal apple dock and hook up normal rca's. You will damage your amp, receiver etc.

This is the reason from Vinnie himeself "If you use a regular dock, it will not block the dc output voltage on the modded line-out. This could be dangerous to your amplifer and/or speakers if the amp does not have dc blocking caps in its input stage."

Any other questions feel free!

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #42 of 343
Awesome! How long do you think it will take to burn in the iMod and ALO cable before getting optimum performance? My iMod 80g and ALO cable should be here at the top of next week!! Can't wait!!

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #43 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJingles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome! How long do you think it will take to burn in the iMod and ALO cable before getting optimum performance? My iMod 80g and ALO cable should be here at the top of next week!! Can't wait!!

Vinne said 100hrs should notice a big improvment with 200+ the optimum!

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #44 of 343
I think he has valid point since it's double the price for international buyers. Also pays the duties and taxes with higher price than previous iMod and cables. Anyway i can't wait for the full impression of iMod and compare to 4G iMod(maybe not quite possible yet).

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #45 of 343
chris, you could also make your own imod cable. or just use a normal cable and use for example a pimeta with input caps as amp. then you could also use polypropylene caps, in case you don't like blackgates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back