FIRST 5.5 GEN IMOD IMPRESSIONS!
Jun 3, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #106 of 343
Vinnie sent me out the IMOD label that will be applied to the back of the 5G Ipod's.

Keep in mind this was my beat up Ipod I sent in. The ones that come from ALO and RedWine will look new if you purchase from them. (correct me if Im wrong vin)

Here's a few pics plus my new IMODED Jumbo Cryo. I will post my other custom Imod cable shortly.

img0339gq3.jpg

img0343if1.jpg

img0344xa2.jpg

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #108 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel like a reporter that has an exclusive on a very big event!!!!

I know it wont last much longer but I am enjoying the Hell out of it while it lasts!!!!!
cool.gif

You are right, why not enjoy it...

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #110 of 343
Here was an attempt at some cool photos. Vinnie had sent me 1 extra sticker because I wasnt sure it would fit in the Ilussion Case (whick it does just barley).

So I slapped one on the front because the one on the IPOD will never be seen except by me.

mod2bn8.jpg

mod1rv6.jpg

My wife was real pleased to hold the other side of the comforter!!! LOL!!!
confused.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #111 of 343
Quote:

With new 5.5G IMOD the separation now becomes so detailed and accurate that for instance with classical you can audibly determine the row and even the seat number the performer is playing in! AMAZING!

MORE TO COME........

My system is so resolving I could tell what the performer had for breakfast. I guess we both have golden ears.

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #112 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$550 for the ipod, $110 for the cable and $35 for shipping. Then add duties and taxes so $695+taxes.....$900+ including VAT and duties??? What????

To put it into perspective, you still need a "high end" portable amp.

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #113 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by a shovel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To put it into perspective, you still need a "high end" portable amp.

Whats with all the freaking thread crapping! Impression comments only please!
mad.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #114 of 343
Quote:

Make sure you read the Red-Wine page well!

There is valid reasons for all the above you quoted.

First off you dont have to buy a new IMOD from Ken you can send you existing one to Vinnie at Red Wine or pick up a used one and send it in.

It cost $249 to have the mod done period.

The previous 4G IMOD had Black Caps in the Ipod itself because they FIT! The 4G units were much thicker.

The only way to MOD a 5G IPOD was for Vinnie to work out a solution with someone who could build quality docks that could incorporate the caps into the cable.

This is where ALO comes in. Ken came up with cable options with the caps built in so the IMOD would work. Thus the extra cost.

Most people here are used to paying $100+ for a quality cable. Just the way it is.

You can charge your unit normally and use the headphone jack while charging its the dock that has been modified.

You can not Just plop your IMOD into a normal apple dock and hook up normal rca's. You will damage your amp, receiver etc.

This is the reason from Vinnie himeself "If you use a regular dock, it will not block the dc output voltage on the modded line-out. This could be dangerous to your amplifer and/or speakers if the amp does not have dc blocking caps in its input stage."

Any other questions feel free!

Personally I can see every reason to charge the 250 for labour on the ipod, after seeing many models opened up myself. A better complete solution would have been to keep the output on the mini jack instead of the minuscule pins, then have a short mini m-f including the capacitors that doesn't cost half the mod or more. Maybe there were technical/ergonomic reasons to choose the dock pins instead of the minijack. There were definitely other reasons why no dock/cap was already included in the price
rolleyes.gif

Maybe vinnie could include a more reasonably economic dock with the imod?

Or maybe I should just get a 4g one before they discontinue
plainface.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #115 of 343
Quote:

Whats with all the freaking thread crapping! Impression comments only please!
mad.gif

How is that crapping? He didn't mention an amp? What is he going to do? Plug it into his mouth?

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #117 of 343
Here's a CRITICAL question - will the required ALO LOD cable for the 5.5g iMod fit into the hole of the iTank case????

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #118 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a CRITICAL question - will the required ALO LOD cable for the 5.5g iMod fit into the hole of the iTank case????

I believe its the same "thicker" dock connector that was used on some of the standard docks.

There were two kinds a slimmer dock that came in silver which I had on my standard cryo and then the black thicker dock.

Looks like the Imod uses the thicker of the two. If you put a picture of the one you have now I could tell you if its the same.

Todd

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #119 of 343
How much of a difference with the iMOD will I notice over the stock headphone out?

OH MY GOD! your in for a treat!

I was using just a ALO line out cable to amp and that makes a big improvement so with the IMOD in the mix it will be even more noticeable to you.

Don't expect it to be like this big whack on the head difference at first because you will need time to appreciate what the differences are before you can judge.

My recommendation:

Listen to your iMOD through the stock headphone jack when you get it back for at least an hour. (I know it is gonna kill ya). But do it anyway it will help you re-confirm you purchase was worth it trust me!

Now hook up you iMOD-set-up with the amp, ALO cable etc. [size=x-small](I should not have to say this but don't use the headphone jack now)[/size]

You will notice a difference but maybe not as much as you expected. Listen to it this way for an hour or so try some different tunes that you know well.

After the hour change back to the stock headphone out.

Try some of the same tunes you just played!

[size=large]BAM![/size] Thats when your gonna hear what you just bought.

Your ears don't realize improvements in sound quality as MUCH AS they notice a degradation in the sound.

From that point forward you will NEVER listen to your IMOD thru the headphone jack again I promise you that.

[size=x-small]This is only my opinion and does not reflect the views of anyone other than ME!
[/size]

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #120 of 343
I have a 4'th gen iMod that I have had almost since Winnie started doing the iMod. I use it mostly with a portable amp but also with my speaker rig and this is where I can se a problem with the new configuration. You will now either need two ALO cables, one with the usual male plug to fit the amp but also either one with female plug so you can continue to use your current mini-rca cable or one that goes straight to rca. Of course you could get a female to rca cable made and get away with just one ALO cable but any way you look at it you are either going to end up with 2 cables to connect it to the stereo or you are going to have to buy extra cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back