Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #5,912 of 6,233
Hi, I wanted to suggest album Meteora 20th Anniversary Edition that sounds on RN6 just fantastic … It is shame I have to send them back …. for replacment. I will definitely miss them. Bass on that album sounds like earthquake. Really surroundig you like If YOU were in concrete room and highs are perfect as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #5,914 of 6,233
Where can I find these dual iem pouches or any idea what they’re called? Looks like a great way to store them when moving about.
You can get them from AliExpress. Search NiceHCK IEM pouch.

They vary slightly in price depending on the store / vendor you purchase them from. Here’s the official store link.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #5,915 of 6,233
Where can I find these dual iem pouches or any idea what they’re called? Looks like a great way to store them when moving about.

You can find generic inexpensive ones on AliExpress - search “earphone mesh bag”

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $1.59 20% Off | NiceHCK Black HIFI Earphone Mesh Carrying Bag Earbud Protection Pouch Rub Resistance USB Cable Elastic Organizer Accessories
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt5aMuu

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #5,917 of 6,233
I was able to spend some quality time enjoying "microscopic" listening vs "joyride" listening this weekend. E.g. resolving, analysing / unlayering tracks vs. riding the sound-wave of an album. I love both. Still, task one was to determine which category would result in a bigger improvement of my wellbeing for this weekend and it turned out, my mood was up for the scenic joyride. Task two then was to find the preferred set for this trip.

The reigning champ for the joyride is the P6 Pro with the Radon 6, silver ATOM, Sedna Crystals, stock cable. This time the contender was the N8II with the Mentor, Sedna Crystals, stock cable. As all of us know, the simple task to determine a fitting set for whatever flavour, can easily turn into an epic academical research and or analysis paralysis. So I had decided for the N8II and Mentor without too much thoughts.I had not listened to this combo for a couple of months and was therefore pretty biased towards the challenger winning the trial. But it didn't.

My musical mood for this weekend was for mildly electronical, so I setup a five track playlist that I kicked off and listened through with the Cayin, switching over then to the L&P. After track two with the P6 & RN6 combo, it became clear they'd become the set of choice. Again. (From this point on, everything I write is TME: To my ears.)
Criteria: The well defined holographic soundspace of the Mentor combo sounded slightly more "complicated" than the unagiated stage of the Radon. And, as usual, the bass qualities of the Radon, contributed big time. Mentor is good in bass but still no DD. The reason why I keep a number of DAPs is for synergies. R2R in combination with the Radon on my mental map is close to becoming dangerously relaxed, warm and undefined. But it just works. The crazy dynamics of the P6 Pro and its friendly analog character catch some of the dangerous spiciness of the Radon that occasionally could appear otherwise.

I ran the P6 in high gain and depending on the masterings, maxed the volume at step 13 but mostly cruised in healthy 8 or 9. When I listen right before falling asleep, I usually use volume step 1 - so the lowest possibly on a DAP but always on high gains. This also works with the Radon - but not with the Mentor even though it's easy to drive too. Oh - and it's impossible with the Annihilator. And some more...

Fast Forward: Over the weekend, I had a 9+ hours cruise (with a single charge, btw.), checked in with a number of beloved albums, enjoyed the solid bass fundament. The upper bass and the lower mids don't bake details together so that there is reasonably good separation in the lower registers too. Smoothly & organically sounding mids and great details in the treble make for a solid journey across the frequency range. There was only one album where the treble somehow managed to "annoy" me.

Despite (or maybe because, in that case) its DR of 12 - which is good (these days) - the tracks sounded too thin, narrow and light-weight. Probably because of Radon's high resolution. When looking at the other end of the spectrum: Dynamic compression is a crime - but worry not when facing it with the mighty Radon. It has you covered ...

Finally, when searching for the hair in the soup, after spending an intense listening. The one other thing that I personally would fine-tune with my personal RN6, next to some slightly milder highs, would be a tiny bit more of 3D-ness, or z-axis. Width is really good but compared to some spheremasters like Mentor, depth could increase a little too. But I guess this is where the UM BCD kicks in ...

Summing it up, I thought about how to picture my trip and this image captures it: Colourful, darkish but not dark, detailed or pleasingly blurry where needed. Thanks Team Fir - RN6 remains a keeper.

7R_02511_3.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #5,918 of 6,233
I was able to spend some quality time enjoying "microscopic" listening vs "joyride" listening this weekend. E.g. resolving, analysing / unlayering tracks vs. riding the sound-wave of an album. I love both. Still, task one was to determine which category would result in a bigger improvement of my wellbeing for this weekend and it turned out, my mood was up for the scenic joyride. Task two then was to find the preferred set for this trip.

The reigning champ for the joyride is the P6 Pro with the Radon 6, silver ATOM, Sedna Crystals, stock cable. This time the contender was the N8II with the Mentor, Sedna Crystals, stock cable. As all of us know, the simple task to determine a fitting set for whatever flavour, can easily turn into an epic academical research and or analysis paralysis. So I had decided for the N8II and Mentor without too much thoughts.I had not listened to this combo for a couple of months and was therefore pretty biased towards the challenger winning the trial. But it didn't.

My musical mood for this weekend was for mildly electronical, so I setup a five track playlist that I kicked off and listened through with the Cayin, switching over then to the L&P. After track two with the P6 & RN6 combo, it became clear they'd become the set of choice. Again. (From this point on, everything I write is TME: To my ears.)
Criteria: The well defined holographic soundspace of the Mentor combo sounded slightly more "complicated" than the unagiated stage of the Radon. And, as usual, the bass qualities of the Radon, contributed big time. Mentor is good in bass but still no DD. The reason why I keep a number of DAPs is for synergies. R2R in combination with the Radon on my mental map is close to becoming dangerously relaxed, warm and undefined. But it just works. The crazy dynamics of the P6 Pro and its friendly analog character catch some of the dangerous spiciness of the Radon that occasionally could appear otherwise.

I ran the P6 in high gain and depending on the masterings, maxed the volume at step 13 but mostly cruised in healthy 8 or 9. When I listen right before falling asleep, I usually use volume step 1 - so the lowest possibly on a DAP but always on high gains. This also works with the Radon - but not with the Mentor even though it's easy to drive too. Oh - and it's impossible with the Annihilator. And some more...

Fast Forward: Over the weekend, I had a 9+ hours cruise (with a single charge, btw.), checked in with a number of beloved albums, enjoyed the solid bass fundament. The upper bass and the lower mids don't bake details together so that there is reasonably good separation in the lower registers too. Smoothly & organically sounding mids and great details in the treble make for a solid journey across the frequency range. There was only one album where the treble somehow managed to "annoy" me.

Despite (or maybe because, in that case) its DR of 12 - which is good (these days) - the tracks sounded too thin, narrow and light-weight. Probably because of Radon's high resolution. When looking at the other end of the spectrum: Dynamic compression is a crime - but worry not when facing it with the mighty Radon. It has you covered ...

Finally, when searching for the hair in the soup, after spending an intense listening. The one other thing that I personally would fine-tune with my personal RN6, next to some slightly milder highs, would be a tiny bit more of 3D-ness, or z-axis. Width is really good but compared to some spheremasters like Mentor, depth could increase a little too. But I guess this is where the UM BCD kicks in ...

Summing it up, I thought about how to picture my trip and this image captures it: Colourful, darkish but not dark, detailed or pleasingly blurry where needed. Thanks Team Fir - RN6 remains a keeper.

7R_02511_3.jpg
Informative! Thanks for sharing.

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #5,920 of 6,233
I have had m8 m9+m15s wm1am2 on rotation on xe6 ciem

it's not honeymoon for me , and not a fast affair : I found love , xe6

m8 : the timbre across all sounds I've heard is : excellent ..( the real thing , no ethereal aura no shrillness of no kind no overwhelming bass and no hyper lush liquid mids and no particularly romantic or soft drive on xe6 : the most plain analogue portable combination I have on any of my soundgears memory, full in details and body in notes and parts, full in sound and in separation of parts , no extras besides the bass unique presentation , and i quite like )
any instrument acoustic or electric or synth is very distinguishable and appreciable : instantly .. one of the things I like the most in my listenings , is to not dubt if A instrument or B instrument sound like I know and like they should .
I seem to return more and more to the m8 for its timbral attitude
but the bass - courtesy of xe6 - on m8 and selected cable , is humiliating at times .. not only penetrating its reverbs through the skull, it goes through different body parts depending on frqs tracks and source of bass

quite same can be said for the m15s .. though too much impact and cut here , so I prefer the m8 for longer listenings and less fatigue

both are excellent at driving the kinetic bass ( high gain ), which is " a factor " for xe6
unfortunately the same can't be said for wm1am2 ( any eq )

I'm still rodding the m9+ so .. it's more refined anywhere vs the others , the stage vs m8 is not even comparable ,
but I will tell later about it when finished with burn in ( @Kiats )
and , Code23 coming in days,
do you think I am curious? :hand_splayed::L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #5,921 of 6,233
Shanling m8 + xe6 ( no stock cable ) have some chemistry
form a balanced dangerous weapon togheter , in control of your time
I put them on press play for a window of pleasure daybreak pause or night time , I get absorbed and when I look the clock it's always late or too late
I usually skip some tracks on albums here and there, used to skip as it has become rare with this combo to skip something and not go through all of the release

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #5,922 of 6,233
Code 24 is a tad less stiff than Code 23, but still a stiff cable in the vein of 23. It can almost stand up on its own, but not quite 🤣
Well 🤔 23 is 99 off rn 🤣. You get an early tester?

Thanks for the 24 and 24C discussions guys! More impressions to come soon.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #5,925 of 6,233
Curious about impressions on the RN6 UIEM isolation for flying. I haven't handled one in person, but thinking that the large port may really reduce isolation? Are these far less isolated than say, a Thieaudio Monarch II?
Not too much of an issue. Even with red module (least isolating) I just turn up the volume 2-3dB. If you were going to set them up for flying Silver module would be the way to go as long as you have a good seal. Ambient turbine/wind noise will drone out. Vs Mest or LX, those provide better isolation but it's not night & day (even if I don't have to bump the volume a little)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back