Effect Audio cables thread
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #7,622 of 7,924
The two new EA prototype cables came to me on loan from @EffectAudio and @Sebastien Chiu, and will be soon going to the next tester in line. They are totally unfinished as far as hardware and connections; pure prototypes only for sound evaluation. Photos are really only to show the cables themselves, as the hardware, etc. is still TBD. EA’s offer to test these was accompanied with verbiage to the effect that these prototypes were possibly related to Code 23, and based on my short time with them, I’d agree they’re firmly within the same family as Code 23, in ergonomics and sound profile, with some marked differences.

At the outset, I didn’t really have much time with these prototypes, but looking at them in their then-sealed EA ziplock bags (I’m first to test this pair), it definitely felt like The Matrix, with me as Neo looking at 2 brightly colored, 2w cables each in a simple plastic bag – which one do you want, Neo, blue or purple?

20231226_163205.jpg

Blue: Thick and somewhat unwieldy like Code 23, but definitely a little less stiff than Code 23, so it’s an ergonomic improvement. I find blue to be similar in sound but more bass prominent than Code 23. Same great staging, deep and wide, as provided by Code 23 while giving a beefier sound. As with Code 23, there needs to be some brain adjustment, but with that comes a similar performer with more meat in the low end. Blue seems to love DDs, exposing their deepest bass capability, but quality throughout the FR is excellent, and like Code 23, perhaps taming the treble a bit with such a focus on the bass. Still treble sounds clear and sparkly where it should; this should be nice for treble shouty iems. DD bass hits hard (Under the Bridge by RHCP, especially in the early part where Flea comes in – you hear the deep bass notes prominently but musically), and the vocals, guitar, cymbals still all rise above and shine, if again tamed by that massive bass somewhat. I thought it was adding some veiling over the mids at first, and it might, but I think I just needed to adjust to the extra bass. It’s like Code 23 on steroids with mildly better ergonomics (which could be improved when the cable is finished with hardware, obviously). I felt that this cable overwhelmed Fir Xe6 with just too much bass, even with the red module, so I’m not sure I’d go there, and still prefer Code 23. However, testing on Penon Quattro, a soon to be released 4DD iem, revealed an incredible, eye-popping result. While purple sounded great with it too, the blue is simply sublime with Quattro as if it would have been the perfect stock cable for it. While I’ve not extensively cable rolled with Quattro yet, I had to try this, and sure glad I did because here is a cable that sounds absolutely perfect with it. Providing Quattro with its best play back I’ve heard yet, better than Cadmus 8w by a good stretch (so I will be switching to Code 23 for Quattro until/if blue is released); this brings Quattro to such an amazing performance – this is truly a perfect synergy bringing Quattro to TOTL heights. Put me on the list, please.

20231225_171249 (1).jpg

Purple: Similar material, but a little thinner wire, and thus, easier to deal with. This one is less bassy, and brings the mids out more, but make no mistake, it still carries big bass, to my ear, very much like Code 23. Staging feels more intimate and less spread across than blue. Is this Code 23 lite (not just because it is lighter?)? I found less coloration from the bass with purple – it feels and sounds a little bit like Fir Audio’s Rn6 stock cable (pure silver) with more bass. I have no idea what’s in these, but I’m sure it’s copper with the relation to Code 23. And if so, EA has again gotten something wonderful from it. I liked this cable with Xe6 a bit more than the blue, but not as much as I like the Code 23 with it. Like the blue cable, it also makes the DDs hit harder than the stock cable (and the EA Cadmus 8w). Mids are nice and prominent despite the deep bass. Both blue and purple are more similar than not, but no question purple has better ergonomics with its thinner, more flexible, wire.

20231226_163134.jpg

These both feel like basshead choice cables, do you prefer it blue or purple? I think I prefer the blue, Code 23 on steroids, but I think a lot of people would really appreciate the lite (and lighter) version, too. I will most certainly pick up either (with preference to blue) for my Penon Quattro, and in fact, I’m sorry to see them go and hope I can make Code 23 work with it in the meantime!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #7,623 of 7,924
Happy to join the club - in the past 4 weeks received the Zeos x Cadmus 8 wire and the Ares S x Cadmus 8 wire Christmas edition…. Not sure I can draw any sonic conclusions, but they are incredibly built and quite the lookers.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #7,624 of 7,924
Happy to join the club - in the past 4 weeks received the Zeos x Cadmus 8 wire and the Ares S x Cadmus 8 wire Christmas edition…. Not sure I can draw any sonic conclusions, but they are incredibly built and quite the lookers.
Happy Holidays and Welcome to the Club! 🙌🏽 Keep 'em rolling and have fun 🥳

- Jordon

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Dec 27, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #7,625 of 7,924
20231227_205454.jpg
20231227_205250.jpg
20231227_205002.jpg

I guess it is a bit too early for me to comment too much on the sound so maybe I can provide a different prespective instead :wink: -
these are the weights (to the nearest 0.05g, lol) of Fusion 1, Blue cable, purple cable, with the hardware.

The blue and purple cables definitely share some of the DNA as the Fusion 1 and Code 23 from my first few hours of listening - punchy and focused sound with bright treble.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #7,626 of 7,924
20231227_205454.jpg20231227_205250.jpg20231227_205002.jpg
I guess it is a bit too early for me to comment too much on the sound so maybe I can provide a different prespective instead :wink: -
these are the weights (to the nearest 0.05g, lol) of Code 23, Blue cable, purple cable, with the hardware.

The blue and purple cables definitely share some of the DNA as the Code 23 from my first few hours of listening - punchy and focused sound with bright treble.
That looks like Fusion 1, not Code 23.

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #7,628 of 7,924
Which one of effect audio cables has the best male vocals? I don't like extra smooth sound either.

Just to expand on your question, since I'm sure you realize that cable doesn't have "vocals" or produces a sound, it would be helpful if you let us know what iems and source (dap, dac, amp) you are using so others can recommend EA cable which can enhance the tuning of those particular iems driven by your source.

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #7,629 of 7,924
Just to expand on your question, since I'm sure you realize that cable doesn't have "vocals" or produces a sound, it would be helpful if you let us know what iems and source (dap, dac, amp) you are using so others can recommend EA cable which can enhance the tuning of those particular iems driven by your source.
Moondrop Kato and I have a neutral dac called centrance dacport.

I also read your reviews between these cables and it's a hard choice between the 3. I like the male vocals to sound thick and natural without sounding overly smoothed. From the reviews it seems like Cadmus over smoothens the sound but also the Ares seems like it has worse overall ability and Eros from reviews state that it natural characteristics is to pull the midrange back. It's hard to choose lol?

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #7,630 of 7,924

I also read your reviews between these cables and it's a hard choice between the 3. I like the male vocals to sound thick and natural without sounding overly smoothed. From the reviews it seems like Cadmus over smoothens the sound but also the Ares seems like it has worse overall ability and Eros from reviews state that it natural characteristics is to pull the midrange back. It's hard to choose lol?
Get the Bespoke Ares S x Cadmus cable. Drop Effect Audio an email and they will help you.

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #7,631 of 7,924

I hear ya, and what I'm describing is how it sounds relative to IEMs I chose to use in my testing. To know exactly how Kato will sound with any of these cables I need to test it with your IEMs and your source. But at least you ruled out for me to recommend you the mega kilobuck EA Centurion :wink: So, if you are focusing on a budget Signature series cables, please take a look at my EA Ares S x Cadmus Xmas review and scroll down to Eros S comparison: https://twister6.com/2023/12/12/eff...ies-ares-s-x-cadmus-christmas-xmas-edition/2/ - I think the original Eros S finetuning of the sound is very close to what you are looking for in the improvement of Kato, especially relative to male vocals.

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #7,632 of 7,924

If I were you, I'd go with the CODE 23 for cables, but bear in mind that cables do not change the sound as much as your IEMs, and then your source.

I do listen to thick male vocals in Country as well, such as Chris Stapleton and Zach Bryan are some of my favorite. For this, I use the Fatfreq Maestro Mini (because I love midbass) with EA CODE 23 that by pure luck, sounds good with thick male vocals, but not with female vocals. It is the IEMs thing, not the cable; they have Fatfreq Scarlet Mini for female vocals EDM style.

I also have the Eros S 1st Anniversary that is paired with 64 Audio Tia Fourte, which I regard as a neutral IEMs, and have compared it with EA CODE 23 and a custom 5N OCC copper cables (rough on the edges but more revealing / clarity, like NOS on R-2R), 7N OCC (a bit smoother, like putting an OS on the R-2R), pure silver, silver plated copper (most dynamic, full of energy), etc.

The Eros S 1st Anniversary enhances a bit of clarity with the pure silver content, but is still very much overwhelmed by the bass. I have not listened to the Ares S, but its probably like the Ares S with a few extra strands of silver. I actually like the CODE 23 a lot more because you get the same amount of clarity, but with that solid, full bodied sound perfect for bass and male vocals. It probably has to do with the gauge or higher quality copper used in CODE 23 than in their basic Ares/Cadmus/Eros series; I'm not sure. But if you are on a budget, can't go wrong with Ares S or Eros S.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #7,633 of 7,924
I hear ya, and what I'm describing is how it sounds relative to IEMs I chose to use in my testing. To know exactly how Kato will sound with any of these cables I need to test it with your IEMs and your source. But at least you ruled out for me to recommend you the mega kilobuck EA Centurion :wink: So, if you are focusing on a budget Signature series cables, please take a look at my EA Ares S x Cadmus Xmas review and scroll down to Eros S comparison: https://twister6.com/2023/12/12/eff...ies-ares-s-x-cadmus-christmas-xmas-edition/2/ - I think the original Eros S finetuning of the sound is very close to what you are looking for in the improvement of Kato, especially relative to male vocals.
Thanks for your help man! Yes I will look into the original eros s again but doesn't the original eros pull back the lower midrange though? That's what I heard from many impressions which really put me off.

If I were you, I'd go with the CODE 23 for cables, but bear in mind that cables do not change the sound as much as your IEMs, and then your source.

I do listen to thick male vocals in Country as well, such as Chris Stapleton and Zach Bryan are some of my favorite. For this, I use the Fatfreq Maestro Mini (because I love midbass) with EA CODE 23 that by pure luck, sounds good with thick male vocals, but not with female vocals. It is the IEMs thing, not the cable; they have Fatfreq Scarlet Mini for female vocals EDM style.

I also have the Eros S 1st Anniversary that is paired with 64 Audio Tia Fourte, which I regard as a neutral IEMs, and have compared it with EA CODE 23 and a custom 5N OCC copper cables (rough on the edges but more revealing / clarity, like NOS on R-2R), 7N OCC (a bit smoother, like putting an OS on the R-2R), pure silver, silver plated copper (most dynamic, full of energy), etc.

The Eros S 1st Anniversary enhances a bit of clarity with the pure silver content, but is still very much overwhelmed by the bass. I have not listened to the Ares S, but its probably like the Ares S with a few extra strands of silver. I actually like the CODE 23 a lot more because you get the same amount of clarity, but with that solid, full bodied sound perfect for bass and male vocals. It probably has to do with the gauge or higher quality copper used in CODE 23 than in their basic Ares/Cadmus/Eros series; I'm not sure. But if you are on a budget, can't go wrong with Ares S or Eros S.
Thanks for your help aswell. If budget weren't an issue I'd get the code 23. What do you think about the Ares x Cadmus?

Dec 29, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #7,634 of 7,924
I didn't except my Xmas cable before the new year, but the postman knocked at the door today and handed me a package. (and no custom charges to pay either)

Opened it up and found my Xmas cable and IEM cable case. The cable is even more stunning in real life, and is less stiff than my Ares S 8w.

I paired the Xmas cable with my Dunu SA6 mk2 and it was a perfect match, Bass is impactful and fast, instrument separation is great, and treble is enhanced, but controlled.

I previously had my Ares S 8w on the Dunu, but it felt it overwhelmed them, so reverted back to the stock cable and paired the Ares with my Fiio FH9, which is a better pairing for that cable.

So glad I ordered the Xmas cable, it is a beautiful cable and sounds great, the portable case is great to hold my Fiio M11 Plus DAP and 2 IEM's and cables.

Thanks @EffectAudio, you have a satisfied customer

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back