Final Thoughts: Sony MDR-XB1000 vs. Ultrasone Pro 900. Who is the Bass KING? ** Pictures **
Oct 8, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #106 of 138
To go out on a limb here. If you've heard a loudspeaker set up with EDM...they hit really hard. That's the Pro 900. If you've heard a decent set up with an actual subwoofer...that's the XB700/1000. 

The impact isn't there, but the bass is huge and goes deep. 

Quote:
This.  After owning the Pro 900 and then switching to the Denon D5000, I've discovered that loud bass doesn't necessarily mean it sounds like an actual subwoofer.  The D5000 has a much more realistic bass that goes so deep and hits hard when it needs to, and it tricks my brain into thinking a sub is on much more than the Pro 900s ever did, even though the Pro 900s clearly have more bass quantity. 

I haven't heard the XB1000, so maybe it has this bass as well, I"m just pointing out that bass volume does not equal subwoofer-ish-ness.  < best word I've ever made up right there 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #107 of 138
Definitely.  Like I said, I haven't heard the XB1000 to compare it with the D5000, but so far it has the most subwoofer bass I've heard in a headphone.  I would love to try the Sony, though, as I'm sure it compares beautifully.

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #109 of 138

Quote:
DjAmTraX, I tried scrubbing through the thread to find my answer, but to no avail.

What headphone stand is that (below)?

That stand comes with Sony's SA-5000, though it may be possible to purchase the stand itself directly from Sony.

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #111 of 138
So, from what im gathering, the pro 900 feels compartmentalized, so the highs feel placed in a different area than the bass and result in sort of a mushed yet dynamic sound. 

The xb1000 from what ive gathered is more fluid and authoritative both in the demonstration of the highs, soundstage and lows.

Could you talk about the mid recession in the xb1000, if there is any? I'd like to know what voices sound like. Would you say they are on volume level with the rest of the instruments or pushed back a level?

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #114 of 138
Sep 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #117 of 138
*sigh* more mixed Reviews over the XB 1000's and the Pro 900's...

I found a pair of xb 1000's from a site called PowerdBackup for $200! If they r legit then I save $120 and the xb 1000 wins hands dwn 

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #118 of 138
OP, does the xb-1000's feature detachable cables? I've got a pair and read a pretty serious review where he/she mentioned that the 1000's comes with detachable cables. could you, or anyone else with a pair, confirm/deny this?

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #119 of 138
I've always wondered what could topple the Ultrasones bass-wise (without exceeding its price range). Unfortunately I am slightly disappointed with it being the Sony simply due to the design
rolleyes.gif
I just dread wearing something with such massive earpads, however comfortable they might look.

In any case, I will be looking into them due to this thread, when time allows it. If I do take a liking to them, then the Ultrasones are out, and I'll save like $200 on top of it (which is a shame in a way since I think so highly of the Pro 900). More interestingly is to personally see how they compare in soundstage, which is important for me. It's always distressing to see so many mixed opinions on both phones, it drives me to actually purchase/demo a pair to see for myself.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #120 of 138
Quote:
I've always wondered what could topple the Ultrasones bass-wise (without exceeding its price range). Unfortunately I am slightly disappointed with it being the Sony simply due to the design
rolleyes.gif
I just dread wearing something with such massive earpads, however comfortable they might look.

In any case, I will be looking into them due to this thread, when time allows it. If I do take a liking to them, then the Ultrasones are out, and I'll save like $200 on top of it (which is a shame in a way since I think so highly of the Pro 900). More interestingly is to personally see how they compare in soundstage, which is important for me. It's always distressing to see so many mixed opinions on both phones, it drives me to actually purchase/demo a pair to see for myself.

Like Wise, I didn;t jump on the XB1000s when I was a regular here, and I tink I'm going to try the Byer Dt 770 Pro 80, b4 I go Ultra or XB, ppl ofc complaion that the XB1000 is muddy but... that's kinda the point <3 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back