Final Thoughts: Sony MDR-XB1000 vs. MDR-XB700 *** Pictures ***
Apr 16, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #181 of 298

"Top End" doesn't really mean you'll want to use them more, unless you're the kind that equates quality with price.  I use my XB700 over my HD650 and K701 a lot. 

Quote:
Just wondering how much do you actually use the xb700 or the xb1000 since you have a bunch of top reference phones?

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #182 of 298
I second the part about the XB700 having good isolation externally. You won't be making much noise to disturb others. 

They are also easy to drive and sound really good out of portable sources.
But believe me they sound a lot better paired with a strong amp that defines the low end. Well, assuming you like more definition in the sound, anyway. Some people do like the boomy quality better. A synergizing amp definitely adds punch to the low end and makes it cleaner sounding.

Quote:

I'm currently saving up for my first audio rig. Right now I'm running the XB 700 through my audio jack out on my Acer laptop. I can't really comment if they will sound better amped or not but I can say they sound pretty good stand alone no rig. I even used them straight connection to my iPod and found they sounded not to bad and there was ample volume to play with. These headphones aren't to power hungry and are easy to drive compared to many others. I use iTunes on my laptop and I set my preamp gauge in my iTunes equalizer window to about 2/3's up to get a bit more juice into my Grado SR 60i's and XB 700's and thus far its served me well. As for isolation the cups act like a suction cup around your ears and does a pretty good job preventing noise leakage. Unless you have them cranked up to deafening volumes I doubt you would have to much trouble using them in a library.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #183 of 298
Now that I've spent even more time with the XB1000, I found that my Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear sounds BEST with it.  The BCL gave it tight/deep controlled bass that my other amps did not.  It's not that it sounds bad on other amps, it's just way more fun on the BCL.  I find myself listening to the XB1000 at volume levels that are a bit too high for safety.  There is NO listening fatigue with this combo and the wide soundstage puts me in a trance when listening to electronica.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #184 of 298

Quote:
Now that I've spent even more time with the XB1000, I found that my Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear sounds BEST with it.  The BCL gave it tight/deep controlled bass that my other amps did not.  It's not that it sounds bad on other amps, it's just way more fun on the BCL.  I find myself listening to the XB1000 at volume levels that are a bit too high for safety.  There is NO listening fatigue with this combo and the wide soundstage puts me in a trance when listening to electronica.

Bro do me a big favor. Go on ebay buy the Pro 900 from buyauthorized for roughly $320-$350 depending on the offer he accepts, compare it to the xb1000, then make a new thread just like this. Thanks.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #185 of 298
Somehow I doubt most XB1000 buyers would be concidering an Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear amp in the first place, isn't this amp like $700? lol

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #186 of 298
Bro do me a big favor. Go on ebay buy the Pro 900 from buyauthorized for roughly $320-$350 depending on the offer he accepts, compare it to the xb1000, then make a new thread just like this. Thanks.

Haha. I'd love to see this comparison as well. Also, at that price...there may be a Pro 900 in my future. lol

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #187 of 298
Somehow I doubt most XB1000 buyers would be concidering an Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear amp in the first place, isn't this amp like $700? lol

Retail for the BCL in the U.S. is $1,149. Street price is about $1,000. It's worth the money IMO. Here's my thread on it with some pictures.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545225/lehmann-audio-black-cube-linear-headphones-amp-pictures

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #188 of 298
The clones like the M Stage and the Lovely Cube are much cheaper...

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #189 of 298

Quote:
Retail for the BCL in the U.S. is $1,149. Street price is about $1,000. It's worth the money IMO. Here's my thread on it with some pictures.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545225/lehmann-audio-black-cube-linear-headphones-amp-pictures

It's not the case whether I'm doubting the quality of the amp but the budget of it. Most people haven't got such pockets filled with gold to the point they will be able to use very different high quality headphones for different purposes in which an amp like this makes sense, ie. it'll come handy whit whatever headphone or most of your headphones you pair it with. The most typical case is the one where people just want to get the best possible headphone for their favorite kind of music, say spend $300 on this headphone + 100~$200 on an amp to go with it. I think it would be more interesting to find an amp with great synergy in the 150~$200 or so range.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #190 of 298
+1, come on DjAmTraX, you know the Pro 900 is like a $5 subway sandwich for you! And it'll end the best bass cans for electronic music once and for all! :)

Quote:

Quote:
Haha. I'd love to see this comparison as well. Also, at that price...there may be a Pro 900 in my future. lol

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #191 of 298
I am still testing different amps at lower cost for good pairing. I may pick up the Lovey Cube at $300 to see how well it sounds compared to the BCL it copies. Should be interesting.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #192 of 298
I just sent an email to my headphones guy about the Pro900. You guys are gonna make me go broke. :)

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #193 of 298
I am still testing different amps at lower cost for good pairing. I may pick up the Lovey Cube at $300 to see how well it sounds compared to the BCL it copies. Should be interesting.

At the price of the BCL I think I'd hit up the Peachtree Nova. I loved it at the meet I went to Saturday. Blew me away. Then again, I'd like to hear the BCL sometime, too.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #194 of 298

what they said
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #195 of 298
He's got a few flagships there's no reason why he can't get the Pro 900. Plus I think he would really enjoy them. The xb1000 needs to be compared to the Pro 900 by someone to get a true idea of how well they really are. I don't think they will be as good as the Pro 900 ( I would hope not since I think the Pro 900 street price will be higher than the xb1000's street price whenever they get here). But even if the xb1000 performs maybe just a notch below the pro 900 it will be a worthy purchase for many that are tight with money and want a solid headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back