Final Thoughts: Sony MDR-XB1000 vs. MDR-XB700 *** Pictures ***
Apr 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #196 of 298
He's got a few flagships there's no reason why he can't get the Pro 900. Plus I think he would really enjoy them. The xb1000 needs to be compared to the Pro 900 by someone to get a true idea of how well they really are. I don't think they will be as good as the Pro 900 ( I would hope not since I think the Pro 900 street price will be higher than the xb1000's street price whenever they get here). But even if the xb1000 performs maybe just a notch below the pro 900 it will be a worthy purchase for many that are tight with money and want a solid headphone.

And comfort. The XB series is like putting pillows on your ears. The Pro line however is just brutal on comfort for me.

I will say that the XB series could use a little bit nicer headband though.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #197 of 298
My headphones guy doesn't have any Pro900 in-stock. I will have to buy from Amazon. Lowest right now is $399. Anywhere with better deal? Would love to do the comparo for you guys. Stay tuned!

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #199 of 298
Bro search buyauthorized on ebay he might still have them. Offer him $320 he will most likely accept. If not offer a little more until he accepts. A million people on here got them from him for $320, I haven't heard one person that had a problem dealing with him.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #200 of 298
Thanks! I just sent him an offer.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #202 of 298
My headphones guy doesn't have any Pro900 in-stock. I will have to buy from Amazon. Lowest right now is $399.

If the US released XB1000 comes in at around $200 US it will be about half the cost and according to these graphs the current XB's already spank the Pro 900 in bass output.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #203 of 298
So your going to go by that graph and say the xb1000 is way better than the Pro 900?

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #204 of 298
Frequency response graphs tells just a little about the tonal balance, like in the graph you can see that Pro 900 is very bright with exaggerated highs (my opinion is that the medium/upper highs should at least never go past 0 level or it'll be too bright) vs recessed mids as it's explained (yes burn in can change it a little but not completely) but it can't tell about sound quality. I do think the flat bass response that goes very deep says something about Sony XB's bass capabilities though. It sounds like the XB1000 has similar kind of curve that Pro 900 has but probably with slightly more relaxed highs and better deep bass capability but apart from that I wouldn't be suprised if they are fairly similar, especially will be interesting to hear about soundstage, Pro 900 has (very) good soundstage for a closed headphone, DjAmTraX seems to really like the soundstage of XB1000 though, I wouldn't be suprised if XB1000 wins in this regard due to the semi-closed design though, the vent at the back of the cup is large on XB1000 and the big "airchamber" created between the big pads that will leave lots of space around your ears, much larger than on XB700 & XB500 which probably helps in this regard.

Yesterday I sent an email to headphone.com about review requests of some headphones and also asked about if there's any news regarding XB1000 availability in US.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #205 of 298
Quote:
If the US released XB1000 comes in at around $200 US it will be about half the cost and according to these graphs the current XB's already spank the Pro 900 in bass output.

You could so easily say the Pro 900s spank the XB's in detail. Just look at the fall off with the XB's compared to the Pro 900s, yes it's still exaggerated but not as much.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #206 of 298
You could so easily say the Pro 900s spank the XB's in detail. Just look at the fall off with the XB's compared to the Pro 900s, yes it's still exaggerated but not as much.

They probably do. You can't ever seem to get everything in a single par of 'phones.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #207 of 298
Quote:
They probably do. You can't ever seem to get everything in a single par of 'phones.

Of course not and it should be obvious... Take the bass of the XB's for example, this sounds so big and deep because it's a couple dBs above the rest of the spectrum... if you were to add the Pro900s detail to the XB's you wouldn't have such an embellished bass line. To look at it another way, EQ everything 600-20,000Hz upwards to create more of a balance and you'll have more detail, you will however be cancelling out the emphatic bass at the same time. Likewise EQ everything 10-500Hz down for the very same result, however you want to look at it.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #208 of 298
My point is that its hard to do both, not completely impossible. Its not some complete contradiction like a square circle.

Obviously any change to the frequency balance will change what specific details are audible through masking but that doesn't mean it impossible to create a transducer that allows you to hear the skewed FR of your choice while presenting all other details that aren't directly obscured by masking.

The point is that the XB700 isn't a very detailed 'phone even if you're playing something without any bass to mask anything. While it may be impossible to have "ultimate bass" and "ultimate detail" at the same time its still possible to have a lot of both.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #209 of 298
Okay guys, I bought the Pro900. Got it for $350 shipped. Should be here next week. I will have to give it a good break-in before I do a comparison thread against the XB1000.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #210 of 298

Quote:
The point is that the XB700 isn't a very detailed 'phone even if you're playing something without any bass to mask anything.

I agree.  It's pretty decent for what it is.  Gives entertaining bass, a decent mid and treble balance and is comfy as heck.  I rarely if ever use it simply because it is just not as resolving as my other cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back