Final Four predictions
Mar 15, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 70
Yeah, you're right, DarkAngel. The pollsters were wrong, and the commitee was right. The RPI also deserves some respect. Gonzaga was #21 in the RPI. Another thing that impresses me is how close the play-in game has been. Both this and last year (the first year of the play-in game), the game went right down to the final seconds. The teams were tied with a minute or two left. So they even did a good job of predicting #64 and #65, which I would think would be a pain to do. The commitee must know what they're doing. I think Gonzaga's loss officially ends the argument that the mid-majors aren't getting a fair shake.

Mar 15, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #18 of 70
wow...what a first day! kansas almost booted. alabama scared. usc and gonzaga gone. miami gone. yikes! and not all the scheduled thursday games have finished yet! this is gonna be a wild dance, baby
smily_headphones1.gif

go bruins! all the way!

my prediction for final 4:
duke
ucla
wink.gif

maryland
oregon

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #19 of 70
Yup, guess Gonzaga plays better as an underdog. Kansas certainly got a scare. Duke, as usual, is playing like a #1 seed, dominating Winthrop.

By far, the funniest thing I saw in that game came when the shotclock was winding down on a Winthrop posession. The clock was at about 8, but the Dukies in the crowd started counting down as if it was at 5! So the poor Winthrop guy thought the clock was about to expire and threw up an airball, when he really had 4 seconds left! Cruel and unnecessary, but extremely funny!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #20 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
wow...what a first day! kansas almost booted. alabama scared. usc and gonzaga gone. miami gone. yikes! and not all the scheduled thursday games have finished yet! this is gonna be a wild dance, baby
smily_headphones1.gif

The first four days are always the most fun
smily_headphones1.gif

My favorite was seeing u$c lose -- so much for the "rebuilding" of the Toejam basketball program
very_evil_smiley.gif

Kansas should have lost. But that's OK, they'll lose in the next round or two. If there's one thing certain about the NCAA tournament, it's that KU will be upset in the 2nd or 3rd round
wink.gif

Quote:

go bruins! all the way!

Ya!
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #21 of 70
w00t! I picked UNC Willmington, Missouri, and Tulsa in my brackets...

Of course I also picked Gonzaga to go to the Final Four, and OSU to at least get further than the first round... some messed up results, but that's why its so much fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #22 of 70
Good, NC State came through. Unfortunately, Florida and Hawaii let me down.

Mar 17, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #24 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Actually, Gonzaga has a much better team than in past "Cinderella" years. But they probably won't get further than previous years because they really got screwed in the seedings. They're ranked #7 in the country, and they get a 6 seed in the toughest region?!?!?!

Looks like you should stick to headphones, they did not even get as far as I thought they might. GO ILLINOIS!!!

Mar 17, 2002 at 8:57 AM Post #25 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by srapps55
Looks like you should stick to headphones, they did not even get as far as I thought they might.

Actually, their loss proved my point -- they got jobbed by the committee. They were put in the most difficult region, as a 6-seed, playing Wyoming who should have been a 6, 7, or 8. They should have won, but it wasn't nearly the upset it appears to be.

So far I've picked 31 of the 40 games correctly
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2002 at 12:42 PM Post #26 of 70
Oh man - Duke scared the Hell outta' me yesterday!

Mar 17, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

Actually, their loss proved my point -- they got jobbed by the committee. They were put in the most difficult region, as a 6-seed, playing Wyoming who should have been a 6, 7, or 8. They should have won, but it wasn't nearly the upset it appears to be.

That's kinda twisted logic. Their loss to me proves that their national ranking was more likely too high, not that their tournament seeding was too low. I guess it is still a very subjective system no matter how you look at it. I do love the parity in college hoops these days, much more exciting games and many more surprise endings.

Mar 18, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #28 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci
That's kinda twisted logic. Their loss to me proves that their national ranking was more likely too high, not that their tournament seeding was too low.

So does that mean that Cincinnati's national ranking was too high? Or Oklahoma State's? Or Alabama's? Ohio State's? or Florida's? All of these teams suffered major upsets so far.

My point was that upsets always happen in the tournament. But when you under-seed a team, that means that its opponent is effectively over-seeded, increasing the chances for an upset.

Quote:

I guess it is still a very subjective system no matter how you look at it. I do love the parity in college hoops these days, much more exciting games and many more surprise endings.

Agreed! And... Go Bruins!!!!!!!!!

Mar 18, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

So does that mean that Cincinnati's national ranking was too high? Or Oklahoma State's? Or Alabama's? Ohio State's? or Florida's? All of these teams suffered major upsets so far.

Nope not at all. I already believed that Gonzaga was overhyped this year and they actually had better teams in previous years. Therefore it confirmed my suspicions. UCLA can play with anyone. I thought Mizzou was way underrated and was not surprised by that one too much. Florida was a surprise. Kent State and OK State was not an upset, unless you actually believe the seedings. And Alabama and Georgia are way overrated. Of course that is all my opinion.

GO ILLINI!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back