Final Four predictions
Mar 31, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #61 of 70
Game over, man, GAME OVER!!! [/movie quote]

Hahaha, YES, Maryland won, like I knew they would! And so did Indiana, which means I have officially won my office pool, wheeeee!!!

To celebrate a Team Calvin & Hobbes member winning their office pool, here is a strip which sums up my feelings at the moment.

ch860226.gif

Mar 31, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #62 of 70
Quote:

morphsci said...

Amen to that! I can root for Indiana now that they have a coach I actually like.

I'm still not terribly fond of Indiana, but I'm also a lot more favorably disposed now to them now that Knight got kicked out.
Quote:

RMSzero said...

Anyone watch the Uconn vs. UT women's game?

I saw that. One of the most dominating performances by a women's team I've ever seen. Heck, UConn could probably beat many of the men's teams!
eek.gif

Oh yes, and go Maryland & the ACC!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #64 of 70
Ha! Ugly as that game was, Maryland takes it home, once again showing why the ACC is the premiere college basketball league in the nation!
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #65 of 70
Bleh, what's up with both the women's and men's championship games being played with such crappy basketball (on the women's side UConn had no 3-pointers and 21 turnovers).

The last 5 minutes of that game I'm going "What is Indiana doing?" The rest of the game I was thinking "What are they both doing?"

By the way, I predicted the national champions of both NCAA Basketball and Football seasons well in advance -- I went on record at different times talking about how overrated Miami was, just waiting for them to choke. I thought Maryland was going to keel over all the way to the final four, and said so loudly.

Sigh.

Apr 2, 2002 at 9:31 AM Post #66 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Ha! Ugly as that game was, Maryland takes it home, once again showing why the ACC is the premiere college basketball league in the nation!
biggrin.gif

I hope you're being sarcastic on that one, d
wink.gif
ACC this year stood for Almost Competitive Conference
evil_smiley.gif
You got Duke and the Terps, and not much else...

I felt pretty bad for Indiana tonight. Maryland was clearly the better team, but with both teams playing really messy basketball, Indiana had a good shot. But Maryland got a stretch of very friendly officiating midway through the second half; being an impartial observer who's done some ref'ing, I was really puzzled by four or five calls right in a row that just killed Indiana's comeback.

Apr 2, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #67 of 70
Hehe, sorry MacDEF, no sarcasm.
wink.gif
The ACC wasn't the premiere conference in the past, but it has been since the '90s. Since 1990, an ACC team has been the NCAA champion five times, more than any other conference. The ACC has also won all three ACC-Big Ten challenges. In any given year, I'd be confident the ACC could take out any other conference in a challenge. ACC probably wouldn't win all of them every year (for example, the Big 12 was unusually strong this year, and UNC had a rare terrible year), but I'd feel safe betting on the ACC winning over 50% of the challenges. And don't forget about NC State this year, after all they did beat Maryland once, and just missed beating UConn.

"Almost-Competitive-Conference"? Try "Always-Competitve-Conference".
wink.gif

Or maybe "All-Competition-Crushed".
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #68 of 70
I'm just glad Indiana lost.

I mean, I'm from Illinois.

Apr 2, 2002 at 5:35 PM Post #69 of 70
Actually, I agree with you that the ACC was the best (or 2nd best) conference through most of the 90s. I was talking about this year, top-to-bottom. Apart from Duke and Maryland, the ACC as a whole was pretty weak. The Big 12 and the Pac 10 were both much better top-to-bottom. But hey, Maryland won the championship, so I guess you have the right to brag
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back