Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #8,566 of 11,664
Overkill? Yes surely, but the E5000 never sounded better. Cannot wait for the new B serie

I really really love E5000 paired with Burson Play to be honest. It feels like those two were made for each other. It is also almost the only IEM that requires me to turn Burson Play to volume 30~

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #8,567 of 11,664
I really really love E5000 paired with Burson Play to be honest. It feels like those two were made for each other. It is also almost the only IEM that requires me to turn Burson Play to volume 30~
The E5000 really is a special IEM. This set doesn't fear power at all. The Violectric V280 allows a chirurgical adjustment of the volume. The sweet spot is where the E5000 shines...

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #8,568 of 11,664
I accidentally destroyed the cable for my E5000. :frowning2:
Where is the best place to order a replacement? I'm OK with the original FA cable, but open to upgrades as well without getting too crazy in price.

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #8,569 of 11,664
Where is the best place to order a replacement? I'm OK with the original FA cable, but open to upgrades as well without getting too crazy in price.

There are countless upgrades that aren't even overly expensive :)

But the final audio cable was also really good! :)

If you want to go crazy with the quality, how about the Oslo cable from Dita?

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #8,570 of 11,664

you could try a custom cable from venture electronics

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #8,571 of 11,664
Mar 29, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #8,572 of 11,664
Thanks for the cable suggestions. I may just end up buying a new pair of E5000s and then have backup ear pieces if needed.
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the E4000 cable on the E5000?

Apr 3, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #8,574 of 11,664

I got a $15 cable from Amazon for mine. There is no sound difference and it comes with remote!

Apr 3, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #8,575 of 11,664
Thanks for the cable suggestions. I may just end up buying a new pair of E5000s and then have backup ear pieces if needed.
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the E4000 cable on the E5000?

Cables don't make a difference. If you want to buy my E5000 cables, PM me. I preferred the look and feel of the E4000 cables.

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #8,577 of 11,664
Here is toranku's impression on the new B series at CamJam Singapore.

I would really love to see more from those that have access to the B Series.

First Impressions: Final B1, B2 and B3

Inquired with the Final reps and they asked how I knew about the A7000 and A8000! Definitely looked like I had some "insider" knowledge to them... Anyway, the B series shares the same shell with the MAKE series (which did not debut in SG). Some say it's lazy. I don't care anything about anything outside of the sound. Final in general is a bit hard to write about - they're really more about the midrange than the bass and treble. Final's willing to take compromises just to get the mids to sound great.

B2 (1 BA)
Downslope signature with poor subbass extension. Overall clarity is quite muddied. Imaging/attack is blunted and lacks snappiness. Takes a warm tilt due to it's signature. Lower treble is barely present. Upper treble rolls off quite badly.

B3 (2 BA)
I think what final did was to just add a tweeter into the already full range BA. More treble led to a sharper imaging with a slightly less warm tone due to tonal balance. Overall, still rather boring and uninspiring sound. Extension on both ends needs to be improved.

B1 (1DD + 1BA)
The B1 sounds a little different in timbre than both B3 and B2. Immediately, the DD characteristics can be heard in both the bass and the midrange. Asked if the DD handled the bass and mids while the BA with the highs. Turns out the B1 runs a full range DD along with a BA tweeter. Possibly the same tweeter added from the B3. The B1 has a warm, v-shaped tone. Nothing special about the DD driver nor the BA tweeter. Extension on the treble can be a bit better. The DD helped with subbass extension and a slightly bigger punch compared to the full range BA from B3. As such, mids are thicker and hold more authority. Very safe tuning but nothing special. I don't want to find out how much this is priced at.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #8,578 of 11,664

I just ordered a nice balanced cable off of amazon from one of the banned cheapo cable makers, and I'm really happy with it. First of all, sounds great, like the stock cable. However, the E5000's stock cable is nice but a bit stiff and the removable earhooks can pop off. This cable is softer, less microphonic, and comes with soft earhooks permanently attached. Also has a more subtle, grayish silver color instead of that bright white color of the stock. I can PM you the link if you're interested.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #8,579 of 11,664
https://e-earphone.blog/?p=1308368

New limited edition model coming out 5/8. I'm not familiar with the artist, but the do look nice. Apologies if someone has already posted this, I didn't see it.

Ugh.... It's beautiful and I like the packaging... I have the FI-BA-SS but I like the look of this.. I wonder how it sound... gotta tell myself, "don't buy don't buy don't buy ..."

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #8,580 of 11,664
Here is toranku's impression on the new B series at CamJam Singapore.

I would really love to see more from those that have access to the B Series.

You got it fam. Spent my whole first hour (and a half maybe?) at Canjam with the Final table. Had some time with the Bs, and a good chat with the reps, here are my impressions! First stab at writing a full review, hope you guys enjoy it.
(more photos and canjam/audio content: https://shoewave.tumblr.com)

Final’s New B-series: Impressions
tumblr_inline_ppdlxx6wXM1wbqait_500.jpg

Often synonymous with ‘niche’, Final Audio’s latest offerings have been anything but. Hot on the heels of their extremely well-received E4000 and E5000, they’ve unveiled the latest in their lineup: the B series. The multi-driver designs mark a promising new direction for the constantly innovating Japanese company, but will it keep their streak going? After a session with them at Canjam Singapore 2019, here are some first impressions.

Overview

Echoing Final’s existing MAKE series in both naming and design language, the new B1, B2, and B3 come in solid, stainless steel housings. Gold for the B1, grey for the B2, and silver for the B3 - a colour scheme that also reveals their actual price brackets. Despite the numbering, the B2 is the cheapest (est. USD200), with the B3 being the midrange model (est. USD500) and the B1 at the top (est. USD600). Do note that these prices are just estimates, and not…ahem…final. Anyways, the pricing is no surprise once you learn what’s inside:

• B1 - 1 Balanced Armature + 1 Dynamic Driver
  • B2 - 1 Balanced Armature
  • B3 - 2 Balanced Armature
What is surprising is that Final’s offering a multi-driver setup at all. Their philosophy for the longest time has been that splitting frequencies across multiple drivers introduces an unnatural sound. Unlike most companies which have been adding drivers up to the double-digits, Final has been pushing the boundaries with single-driver IEMs. This has resulted in some stunning earphones, from their legendary FI-BA-SS series (single BA) to their latest E-series (single dynamic). Though they’ve explored multi-drivers/hybrids before in their MAKE and Sonorous series, those were more niche offerings, and the B-series marks their first serious foray into multi-drivers for the general market.

tumblr_inline_ppdost6v5B1wbqait_500.jpg

Build, Comfort

Right off the bat these are impressive, all three models feel solidly built with clean surfaces, and the angled design clearly has Final’s signature blend of artisanal and industrial. The detachable cables are sturdy and supple enough, bending smoothly to fit over the ear. No complaints comfort wise, the housing sits easily in the outer ear thanks to the rounded inner surface, and despite the shallow insertion, isolates well enough even on the noisy Canjam showfloor.

Sound

Setup: Smartphone + Fiio A5 Amp, Lotoo PAW Gold Touch (on loan from the booth), Spotify 320kbps & FLAC files. Stock cables and tips.

All 3 are drivable off a phone, but I was close to maxing out the volume. I’d have loved to have the time (and budget) to try swapping out more of the audio chain, but with so much to see at Canjam I only had an hour at the Final table, split between listening to these and chatting with the reps. Definitely looking forward to a longer session, but for now these are my impressions on first brush.

B2: We start off with the sole single-driver member of the trio, which also sounded the most unique to my ears. The sound is clearly warm, and lower-mid forward, with some of the classic Final lushness. The bass decay bucks expectations however, being more drawn out than the usual speedy BA tightness. This together with a slightly hollow-sounding treble means this isn’t the clearest of IEMs. Resolution improves slightly with amplification and on the Lotoo, but highs still remain in the background. A musical, if less analytical sound. Compared to the Heaven II - the last single BA from Final prior to the B2 - there’s less left-right separation, and the highs are less sibilant. Overall presentation is intimate and dark, with the music close around you rather than airily stretching out as with the Heavens. Final’s clearly taking a different direction with the B series while still retaining their trademark uniqueness in sound signatures.

B3: With the addition of another BA the intimate presentation remains, but imaging improves noticeably, and there’s better extension in the highs and lows. The signature remains warm, but is more neutral than the B2.

B1: The hybrid model with its 6.4mm dynamic driver immediately offers more well-rounded sound than the other two. Bass decay sounds more natural, imaging is excellent, and highs have more sparkle as they emerge from under the warmth of the B2 and B3. Overall, as you might expect from the most expensive of the three, it ticks the boxes most would be looking out for, and capably handles a wider range of genres with its slight V-shape. It’s a signature that’s not quite traditional Final, but this series is all about exploration, and the execution remains solid.

tumblr_inline_ppe8u5snwp1wbqait_500.jpg

Conclusions

The B-series struck me as interesting, but experimental - I can’t help but wonder where in Final’s lineup it’s meant to sit. Unlike, say, the pursuit of ‘live’ sound with single-BA engineering in the Heaven series, or the budget performance of the E-series, I couldn’t quite tell where Final is headed with these. It’s ostensibly meant to be the grade above the E-series, but sonically, it’s an elusive animal I can’t quite place. As I shared this with the rep, Kyo, he laughed and agreed wholeheartedly.

As it turns out, even Final doesn’t know for sure where it’s headed, and it’s intentional - a reflection of their changing philosophy. Kyo points to the naming of the B1, 2 and 3 - the decoupling of model numbers and pricing was a conscious choice, meant to break that conventional stifling mold where they can only add bigger numbers and more drivers. On a deeper level too, Final’s design approach is changing. Their CEO has recognised the need for future-proofing, that he can’t be Final’s sole tuner and designer forever like he’s been doing with the Heavens I’ve been bringing up and other past series. Final isn’t simply on a hot streak here, they’re looking at the long game. As a result, they’ve been shifting toward a scientific, psychological research-based tuning approach which you can read more about here. Having seen the success of this approach in their E-series especially with the general market, they’ve now carried that over to their B-series. Between their research-based approach and this being their first few forays into multi-driver setups, it certainly explains the unique signature this new trio has, and the open-endedness of their place in the lineup. Final’s looking for feedback, to gauge preferences and take it back to the drawing board as they tune future iterations.

This is a Final that’s in flux - from a house sound largely based around an individual’s tuning ideals, to a company now turning more towards research and their listeners. Final’s taking that same convention-defying, innovative spirit it’s always had since their FI-BA-SS and Piano Forte days, and bringing it in new directions. Inwards, as they explore new grounds they once avoided, and outwards, as they reach toward getting to know everyday listener. Maybe I’m waxing lyrical a bit too much, but it’s undeniably a very exciting time for Final. Come year-end, Kyo says, we can expect a brick-and-mortar Final shop in Akihabara (!). The space will be used to hold events like their MAKE workshops, but also to simply let them to get to know their customers and let that interaction shape their future models. On that note, hints were also dropped about a new (A?) series which may or may not have a massive 10mm dynamic driver, and another new model maybe next spring, but after that the reps clammed up, so we’ll just have to wait and see. Overall, while the B-series didn’t quite rock my socks off, it was an interesting glimpse of what’s in store. Even as Final evolves, it never stops being full of surprises. “Anything can happen,” Kyo laughs, and I can’t help but agree and wait in anticipation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back