Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 29, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #4,580 of 11,664
Lab1.. truly a magical phones.. got so drowned in the music.. must stop... now..

I was in Russia for a week and left the Lab 1 at home. (Heaven VI travels well and one less thing to lose.) Then I got lost in my HD800 at home when I got back. So today I heard the Lab 1 for the first time in about 10 days, an unprecedented break since getting it.

It did not disappoint. The Lab 1 holds up to scrutiny. It is just a great headphone.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #4,583 of 11,664
Well here you go, first impressions about Heaven VII.  First of all, here's what they have in common with the Lab1.  Similar shape and feel, though Heavens are heavier of course.  They share the Lab1's effortless sensibility, so very musical, but with lots of detail contained within.  With both headphones I feel like I can hear the room reflections of the locations that recordings were made in, and can tell what's room sound and what's added reverb, etc.

The Lab1s are quite a bit darker than Fi-Ba-SS, with much more low end, though never dull.  The Heaven VIIs fall someplace in the middle.  They have more high end, less bass, but still more bass than the Fi-Ba-SS.  In a sense, they are what I wish Fi-Ba-SS had always been, that magical musicality but minus the slightly harsh treble, and with more bass.  The bass is not heavy, but there is enough to be satisfying, improved when you have a good seal. 

I find the Fi really only good for classical and jazz, but they really excel there.  The Lab1s are enjoyable with acoustic music, but really shine with rock and heavier sounds, as the darkness makes loud music easier to listen to.  The Heaven VII give the upper frequency detail of the Fi but with the relaxed easy-going vibe of the Lab1.  Some might call it excessive, but I'm so glad to have all of them.

After trying to find multi-BA custom IEMs that really pleased me for years, and many pairs, I have been pleasantly shocked to find the most superior sound in these little universals. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #4,585 of 11,664
  Well here you go, first impressions about Heaven VII.  First of all, here's what they have in common with the Lab1.  Similar shape and feel, though Heavens are heavier of course.  They share the Lab1's effortless sensibility, so very musical, but with lots of detail contained within.  With both headphones I feel like I can hear the room reflections of the locations that recordings were made in, and can tell what's room sound and what's added reverb, etc.

The Lab1s are quite a bit darker than Fi-Ba-SS, with much more low end, though never dull.  The Heaven VIIs fall someplace in the middle.  They have more high end, less bass, but still more bass than the Fi-Ba-SS.  In a sense, they are what I wish Fi-Ba-SS had always been, that magical musicality but minus the slightly harsh treble, and with more bass.  The bass is not heavy, but there is enough to be satisfying, improved when you have a good seal. 

I find the Fi really only good for classical and jazz, but they really excel there.  The Lab1s are enjoyable with acoustic music, but really shine with rock and heavier sounds, as the darkness makes loud music easier to listen to.  The Heaven VII give the upper frequency detail of the Fi but with the relaxed easy-going vibe of the Lab1.  Some might call it excessive, but I'm so glad to have all of them.

After trying to find multi-BA custom IEMs that really pleased me for years, and many pairs, I have been pleasantly shocked to find the most superior sound in these little universals. 

Great stuff! I feel that there are many questions still. Two big ones please:

How much is the Heaven VII?

Does it have that otherworldly layered effect in the soundstage of the Lab 1 (assuming that you perceive this; I realize that these things are subjective)? Alternatively: how would you describe the soundstage and compare it with the Lab 1?

Thanks in advance. You perform a great public service.  :)

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #4,586 of 11,664
My LL Sony Hybrid tips for my Lab 1's finally arrived. What a perfect fit for my cavernous ears, and got a noticeably better SQ improvement.

Now back to the Heaven VII discussion.
smily_headphones1.gif
  + really keen to know how much they cost. If I can get a sub $1K phone that is like the Lab 1 for when on the go (losing or damaging the $2K Lab 1 on my tavels is a devastating proposition) then I would happily sell my AK120 and Parterre's. If the VII are a smidge less dark than the Lab 1 then I would be very interested.

Do you prefer the SQ of the Heaven VII to the VI (assuming you have heard the VI)?

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #4,587 of 11,664
wow, with the Sony Hybrid LL's I am experiencing a very noticeable improvement in SQ with the Lab 1's over the Sony Hybrid L's. If I had to quantify it I would say close to 20%. Crazy. Improvements in soundstage, imaging, and coherence. How good are the Lab 1's -seriously?!?!???

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #4,589 of 11,664
wow, with the Sony Hybrid LL's I am experiencing a very noticeable improvement in SQ with the Lab 1's over the Sony Hybrid L's. If I had to quantify it I would say close to 20%. Crazy. Improvements in soundstage, imaging, and coherence. How good are the Lab 1's -seriously?!?!???
Sorry for the dumb question but what is the LL or L? Or you referring to the size or are they different types? Could you perhaps share a link to say Amazon on the Sony Hybrid tips? I had the green ones but not sure they are correct as I remember the holes being a little too small for the Lab1 bores

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #4,590 of 11,664

I did tried sony hybrids (ML and L) on my LAB1. My first impression is that the music is not as enjoyable as stock tips.

Is it just me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back