Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #931 of 11,686
I LOVE THIS THREAD!

We're else can we have such in depth discussions that seek to see different points of view as the answer rather than what is right or wrong!

SF, I agree completely, strings be them on guitar, violin, cello or anything else have a palpable sense of realness through the PF's. One thing though is what I listen through now with the new tube amp in place is meant to sound great with acoustic, Jazz or intimate classical. Why then am I fully engaged with springsteens wrecking ball album, why does the opening track on Nebraska elicit a depth of emotion in me that I have only experienced before with really really good speaker set up's?

By scientific reckoning it should not but it does and this is where the metaphysical comes in I feel to some extent, that use our senses we all have but for one reason or another remain covered up unless in fight or flight mode.. A secret about myself that I think only Mike knows about me on the forum.

Amongst the many hats I wear in proffesional life the biggest and most important, the one I have worn since childhood and now make my way in the world with is that of medium ( hence my forum name). So what is that? Well, I like to think that it is simply the gift we have inside all of us to see beyond that which is obvious or solid in the physical. Why do I mention this?

Well, I think that is what the PF's do for music reproduction. They are a window into the other, non measurable by science, parts of music. Emotion, feeling, spirituality ( I am not on about the religious interpretations of that but the deep, personal ones).

Like many inspirational things in life they do not make sense in a highly structured world. The world is structured for so many reasons, safety, control, reasoning. We are taught from an early age to trust not what we feel but what we are told. That way the world can homogenize, things can be constructed to satisfy mass thought which is easier so as to guide, control and move the world along. Now, that is not natural, no, natural is the abilty to express oneself to our truest degree without judgement but of course that has to come with a deep level of personal responsibility so as to cause no harm. Where am I going with this?

Well. There are so many levels of interpretation beyond that we are told, that which is measured or quantified into the physical. One tenth of a souls ability is the physical, the rest is metaphysical, our intuition, gut feelings, love, emotion, feeling. It is in these realms that I believe the true magic happens in life, it is here where music exists, beyond the instrument used be it voice or actual, beyond the training or learning of that instrument comes the intuitive aspect, the part not measurable but the part most important for it is the part that creates the emotional bond between the listener and artist on a deeper level. Measurement can take us so far but when we allow ourselves beyond the measurement so much more is availible and that is what the PF's do I feel.

I wrote what I did not to offended or say I am right and everyone who does not think the same way is wrong, that is not my intention for if you get joy from how you listen then that is perfect for you. I guess all I want to show, and this is my passion in life, the thing that makes me wake up in the morning and do what I do is that we have other faculties that we can call upon to enrich life even more if we choose.

I hope that makes sense, if not fine, my intention is not to force or make change, just offer another point of view, hope it helps. We are after all, all one under the skin!

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #934 of 11,686
SF, thank you! Muppet Face. So far it seems to be silent. The shell of the amp is sensitive so it is not what I would call portable and it does not like being near the computer when there is noise.

But a couple of feet away so far the only noise I can here is with no music playing the the volume turned up fully. Then there is a slight background hiss but at normal volume levels with no music it is as silent as my blackbird and with music playing nothing at all... Except, and this is lovely, one can hear the acoustic where the performance takes place so clearly!

I have already ordered some different pre-amp tubes to match the Tung-sols in the power section and am on the hunt for a full set of Mullard NOS. The great thing about this amp as far as tubes go is that it uses old radio tubes which are a heck of a lot cheaper than the bigger ones in home amps $7 for a matched pair of NOS NIB Tung-sols!

I am currently giving it some burn in as the maker recommends that so will write a review in a couple of weeks.

I had a friend who is familiar with the design of tube amps have a look at it yesterday and he thought it very well made. Loved the point to point wiring and said that the designer uses really high grade components which is nice to know.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #935 of 11,686
Quote:
SF, thank you! Muppet Face. So far it seems to be silent. The shell of the amp is sensitive so it is not what I would call portable and it does not like being near the computer when there is noise.

But a couple of feet away so far the only noise I can here is with no music playing the the volume turned up fully. Then there is a slight background hiss but at normal volume levels with no music it is as silent as my blackbird and with music playing nothing at all... Except, and this is lovely, one can hear the acoustic where the performance takes place so clearly!

I have already ordered some different pre-amp tubes to match the Tung-sols in the power section and am on the hunt for a full set of Mullard NOS. The great thing about this amp as far as tubes go is that it uses old radio tubes which are a heck of a lot cheaper than the bigger ones in home amps $7 for a matched pair of NOS NIB Tung-sols!

I am currently giving it some burn in as the maker recommends that so will write a review in a couple of weeks.

I had a friend who is familiar with the design of tube amps have a look at it yesterday and he thought it very well made. Loved the point to point wiring and said that the designer uses really high grade components which is nice to know.

I like discovering new designers. Looking at Analog Squared Paper's creations, I'm intrigued by their 300B preamp despite not needing iPod connectivity. That leaves me wondering if I could get a custom job where the iPod dock is removed and a headphone jack is added. Gives me something to consider, as I've been eyeing the Manley 300B preamp.

I'm digging the little semi-portable tube amp however. Might consider it for my office.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #936 of 11,686
He is very obliging and everything is made to order so I bet you could. I like the idea of batteries as well for power isolation. Mind, the manley stuff I have heard is lovely as well!

I travel a lot so having a transportable set up that I can come back to my hotel room and listen to is very appealing. I tend to keep things simple as well so having something that can be used not only at home but away is great, saves me having too much stuff.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #938 of 11,686
Quote:
Just ordered the PF X-cc on music acoustics. Dimitri said he won't have it until 24th though T.T

Congratulations, and welcome to the X-CC club. It's my personal favorite of the PFs, and it looks absolutely gorgeous in person (a beautiful coppery color).

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #939 of 11,686
Quote:

Congratulations, and welcome to the X-CC club. It's my personal favorite of the PFs, and it looks absolutely gorgeous in person (a beautiful coppery color).

Thank you, MuppetFace.
I am very looking forward to it as well cause seems nobody is able to describe their sound so I guess I need to check it out myself, hah hah.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #940 of 11,686
Quote:
Just ordered the PF X-cc on music acoustics. Dimitri said he won't have it until 24th though T.T

Congratulations. That is a very good price on Musica Acoustics for a fascinating headphone.

I cannot afford it right now but I will buy the PF X-CC someday. I spent one of the most interesting hours of my musical life listening to it at Jaben in HK. It doesn't work with all music but when it does work there is nothing like it.

And yes, it is truly beautiful.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #941 of 11,686
Quote:

Congratulations. That is a very good price on Musica Acoustics for a fascinating headphone.

I cannot afford it right now but I will buy the PF X-CC someday. I spent one of the most interesting hours of my musical life listening to it at Jaben in HK. It doesn't work with all music but when it does work there is nothing like it.

And yes, it is truly beautiful.

Thank you!
I'm wondering what kind of music it does well and what kind of music it doesn't fit?

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #942 of 11,686
Congratulations! I am really looking forward on your thoughts of them. I think the colour of them the nicest of all the PF'S range.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #943 of 11,686
Quote:
Thank you!
I'm wondering what kind of music it does well and what kind of music it doesn't fit?

Piano, acoustic guitar, baroque keyboards, these are easy answers as to what will almost certainly sound great. From there, in my limited experience, the fun is in exploring what does and doesn't work. I actually made the decision not to listen to them again until I buy them. I want to savor the discovery process.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #944 of 11,686
Quote:
Thank you!

I enjoy the X-CC with 60s and 70s psychedelic rock, 80s synth pop and coldwave, early 90s shoegazer, and pretty much anything soaked in reverb or with a strong sense of dreamy atmosphere. They're also one of my favorites for listening to ragas and pastoral folk.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #945 of 11,686
I just heard this for the first time and I am thinking that it is close to a perfect simple short song. It suits the Piano Fortes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back