Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #3,316 of 11,686
It looks amazing! And that box is pretty awesome too. The only thing I don't like is the modified headband design. I feel like the original prototypes had a sleeker headband, but not that big a deal. Did you manage to have a listen? I heard they had a lot of bass and might have a V-shaped sound signature, which makes me a little hesitant to jump on them right away without full reviews on them.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #3,317 of 11,686
What do I think about the sound?

WARNING: this is a prototype unit...

Well, let's put the blunt weakness upfront.
1. The BASS.
IS FREAKING LOOSE.

On some tracks, it is really loose, not tight, flabby, and overpowering. I felt like listening to radio. Somehow on some tracks, it DOES muffled the overall clarity. I guess this is a really big part which the later series of Pandora Hope could improve. 50mm driver may be too loose. Do you perhaps want to install Tesla Driver, Mr. Takai? Or increase the impedance of the headphone (but that'd defeat the purpose of BA, I guess)?

2. The VERY APPARENT and DISTINCTIVE sound of BA and Dynamic
is like (unnamed hybrid IEM).  You can really hear the BA sound, and the bass on the dynamic driver. It's too apparent to my ears, and I guess it's due to me getting too familiar with Heaven 6 that I can notice anything I hear differently is due to the dynamic driver.

How about the GOOD things?
1. SOUNDSTAGE
is OMG WUD? 
Disclaimer: I'm too fond of IEM, so maybe I feel that way due to the more "openness" of headphones, but...
It's wide, but that's not the selling point.
IT'S really layered. Like, in "You Give Love a Bad Name" (Bad pick of song? Haha. I guess so, but I like this track), you really feel the layering of drums, other instruments and also Jon Bon Jovi's voice. Everything is arranged more orderly.

2. JUMBO BA-esq sound
is like HEAVEN 6 MAGNIFIED
You will feel that the BA driver is the star, and the dynamic driver is the supporting cast, the Robin. The BA sounds so huge (i mean, it sounds so close to Heaven 6, the difference is that the sound "feels" bigger). Detail? Check! Treble? Refined. Mids? So beautiful! Bass? Err...Can we skip the bass, please? Clarity? Eyes wide opened!

Do I like it? Man, I pre-ordered it, so there's definitely BIAS when I answer that I really freakin' like it. Well, you may find your reason to not like it. To me, as I was listening to PH6, I was thinking, why not more headphones install BA driver now? It's really a whole new world of sound to my ears.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #3,318 of 11,686
  It looks amazing! And that box is pretty awesome too. The only thing I don't like is the modified headband design. I feel like the original prototypes had a sleeker headband, but not that big a deal. Did you manage to have a listen? I heard they had a lot of bass and might have a V-shaped sound signature, which makes me a little hesitant to jump on them right away without full reviews on them.

Wait till you go to the vocals, and there you'll be immersed with the "V" sound signature. LOL. I'm not fully aware it sounds V, at least not that apparent. It really sounds like Heaven 6 tho. But that's just my stereotyping its sound based on what I have experience with.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #3,319 of 11,686
Wow, if it's really like a full-sized Heaven V/VI, my mind will be blown! Really hope the loose bass doesn't make its way into the production models though...

Wait till you go to the vocals, and there you'll be immersed with the "V" sound signature. LOL. I'm not fully aware it sounds V, at least not that apparent. It really sounds like Heaven 6 tho. But that's just my stereotyping its sound based on what I have experience with.

Sorry I'm a bit confused, does it or does it not have a V-shaped signature? I prefer a more mid-centric signature with focus on vocals, so I'm hoping it doesn't have the V-shaped sig.

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #3,320 of 11,686
  i have used this set several times with good success:

http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/209bbbc249d42d25addc74988a233cc6/cl/details/cnid/LQI/anid/LQJD

http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/209bbbc249d42d25addc74988a233cc6/cl/details/cnid/LOF/anid/LOFA

Thanks for the advice, GermanGuy!
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if my school'll allow something like that in the dorms...

I've been in touch with Dimitri and he's told me to send the unit in for assessment if I'd like.
I'm reluctant to do this as it'll likely cost me a bomb.

That clear nail polish idea sounds very good though... (Thanks for pointing out James!)

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #3,321 of 11,686
  Wow, if it's really like a full-sized Heaven V/VI, my mind will be blown! Really hope the loose bass doesn't make its way into the production models though...

Sorry I'm a bit confused, does it or does it not have a V-shaped signature? I prefer a more mid-centric signature with focus on vocals, so I'm hoping it doesn't have the V-shaped sig.

V-shaped? I didn't know it lacks anything in the mids, or sound recessed. I mean, the mids are full as usual. I think it's still pretty mid-centric, just like how Heaven 6 would.

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #3,322 of 11,686
Ah okay that's good to hear! Do you happen to know the actual release date? I wish I could preorder but I have no idea where to do it  =/

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #3,323 of 11,686
  Ah okay that's good to hear! Do you happen to know the actual release date? I wish I could preorder but I have no idea where to do it  =/

The one I got is still very "prototype" in a way you can see they use the sellotape to tape the cables. Well, AFAIK, the actual release date has been pushed back several times. The last one I heard is late November. But with the history of postponing release, I'm afraid it's really up to the vendor whether they'd like to offer you pre-order.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #3,324 of 11,686
Dang that's too bad. I wonder what's causing all the delays. But on the bright side, they're hopefully making sure the headphones is 100% ready for market. And that also means I get more time to save up haha.

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #3,325 of 11,686
  Dang that's too bad. I wonder what's causing all the delays. But on the bright side, they're hopefully making sure the headphones is 100% ready for market. And that also means I get more time to save up haha.

I've a very strong urge to people who don't have much money (meaning it's one-shot purchase and cannot upgrade for years to come) to actually wait for Hope 8. Reason is because I still think the bass is the missing link, and I suppose by using different dynamic driver can the problem be solved (Hope 4 and 6 using the same drivers). But to actually experience this hybrid headphone, it's really blissful (for FAD fans like us!)

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #3,326 of 11,686
When the difference between the Hope VIII and the VI is $900, I don't think people who don't have much money (like me ;_; ) can really consider getting the Hope VIII. The Hope VI already has a very high price tag (from a poor person's perspective) and has been stated to be a great bang-for-the-buck headphone, relative to the TOTL. Of course if I had the money, this wouldn't be an issue. I would just buy both and return one after trying them lol. All I can do is pray that Takai-san and FAD manage to tighten up the bass on the Hope VI before the official release. I have confidence that Takai-san knows what he's doing so I don't see myself being disappointed in these.

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,329 of 11,686
I almost sold my HVI once. Then I realized that would be a giant mistake for me. 

I recall that. It almost made me decide not to sell, but I have too many 'phones at the moment and way too little time. It was my favorite all-rounder until (the much more expensive) 3003 came along. That, and I'm listening to full size cans more often as well. Still won't be selling my PF's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back