Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #406 of 4,852
The V5 sounded average with average power. Many who got it might have written good stuff about it only to have ended up selling it. I demoed it three times and passed

Thank you for your thoughts, I need to go to a CanJam!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #407 of 4,852
@Ricky64, what difference did you notice between the stock copper cable and the $500 SPC cable? Clearly you’re happy with the sound, but was the silver cable worth $500 for the differences wrought?
A little preamble here... First, I selected the D8000 because I felt it had a more natural sounding (relaxed?) imaging and presentation compared to the Utopia. The latter sounds incredibly fast and detailed, but imaging sounds "hyper etched" to me. My amp/dac is the Sony TA Z1. I feel it also has a more relaxed presentation. With my Sony at home, I feel there is a slight increase in separation and tighter central imaging, but it is sublte. I will go back and do a little more A/B on this and get back to you.
However, I listened the D8000 with the Cayin 300 at RMAF. Michael Brown of Final let me listen to both the stock copper and the silver cable through the XLR jack. The difference was quite positive and pronounced. Thus, I feel the results may be variable on the amp/headphone combination.

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #408 of 4,852
A little preamble here... First, I selected the D8000 because I felt it had a more natural sounding (relaxed?) imaging and presentation compared to the Utopia. The latter sounds incredibly fast and detailed, but imaging sounds "hyper etched" to me. My amp/dac is the Sony TA Z1. I feel it also has a more relaxed presentation. With my Sony at home, I feel there is a slight increase in separation and tighter central imaging, but it is sublte. I will go back and do a little more A/B on this and get back to you.
However, I listened the D8000 with the Cayin 300 at RMAF. Michael Brown of Final let me listen to both the stock copper and the silver cable through the XLR jack. The difference was quite positive and pronounced. Thus, I feel the results may be variable on the amp/headphone combination.

Thanks for your thoughts. Being able to demo the two versions would be great, so I have to get to a CanJam soon.

Of course, part of the difference you heard was a balanced vs unbalanced circuit. EDIT: I gather you meant both cables were balanced, so ignore my comment.

That Cayin amp looks real nice. Really like the design of the 300B tubes.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #409 of 4,852

I have the Utopia as well and I agree with your assessment. On certain types of music well recorded, the Utopia is magic, but a large percentage of my music (CD rips from my collection) vary in sonics quite a bit, and for that music, the D8000 is magic! I figured the silver cable would most impact the trebles, and the D8000 is not bothered by treble emphasis, in my view. Thanks for replying.

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #410 of 4,852
Count me in, pulled trigger and I'm gonna see what all the D8000 fuss is all about...it was a deal I could not refuse...slightly a bit more money than the HD800S by Senn - a price I simply could not refuse. rough rough(hint)

Have had my eyes on this baby for so long. Have eyes for the Empyrean, too. Now I wait for both.

Thank you Brian

let's just say my headphone budget for 2019 is blown already.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #411 of 4,852
Count me in, pulled trigger and I'm gonna see what all the D8000 fuss is all about...it was a deal I could not refuse...slightly a bit more money than the HD800S by Senn - a price I simply could not refuse. rough rough(hint)

Have had my eyes on this baby for so long. Have eyes for the Empyrean, too. Now I wait for both.

Thank you Brian

Yes, that's quite the score! $

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #413 of 4,852
I'd be all over this headphone if they didn't have circular pads .. let's get with the program! No one has ears like that!

The pads don’t bother at all, in fact, they’re pretty comfortable.

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #414 of 4,852

Thank you Brian

So, D8000 and Empyrean coming? Wow! Under 2K for your D8000? How!

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #415 of 4,852
The pads don’t bother at all, in fact, they’re pretty comfortable.
This is one headphone that is big enough to fit any head, And the first headphone I didn't have to expand all the way to fit mines!. But, the pads were a little weird, but the sound sig sounded soooo good to my ears.

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #417 of 4,852
This is one headphone that is big enough to fit any head, And the first headphone I didn't have to expand all the way to fit mines!. But, the pads were a little weird, but the sound sig sounded soooo good to my ears.
One nice thing about the D8000 and its pads is that it doesn't really require a "seal". This is part of my interest in them; I wear glasses, and listen while working. The glasses do not cause any changes in the sound.

Mar 8, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #418 of 4,852

Thank you Brian

Nice! Looks like Brian closed shop if it’s the same Brian. Sorry to see him go. He always had awesome prices.

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #419 of 4,852
D8000 received yesterday and I've been burning them in. they have about 30 hrs on them now.
Excellent unboxing experience, well packaged and so unique and yes boutique-like packaging. The
box is like alligator skin texture(lol). The hand of this leather on the headband is the softest I've ever felt.
The weight and balance is not a problem at all, the headphone does disappear upon diving into a listening session.
The earpad material is very nice - much better than I thought it would be.

Let me tell you, this headphone is the REAL deal. Whomever wrote that the bass is overwhelming has much different
hearing than I as I hear authoritative bass with control. This headphone is capable of high definition with no distortion
whatsoever. The lows come across without sounding congested and do not step in the way of the mids or highs.
Separation is excellent and each musical instrument holds it's place in space. The imaging is wide. This is like a Senn HD800
taken to the next level. Nice soundstage while allowing me to be in the musical space, not rows back - it's all around me.
The cables are nice.

Equipment I've used is the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP from MBP as source(mediacenter24) to bitperfect. Also used my
Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Sony WM1A, Headamp GS1, and the MOJO from a FIIO X5II. Each have shared a bit of time but most of the
time is on my beloved Sony WM1A - it's just so friendly and portable.

More to come at 50 to 100 hrs.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #420 of 4,852
D8000 received yesterday and I've been burning them in. they have about 30 hrs on them now.
Excellent unboxing experience, well packaged and so unique and yes boutique-like packaging. The
box is like alligator skin texture(lol). The hand of this leather on the headband is the softest I've ever felt.
The weight and balance is not a problem at all, the headphone does disappear upon diving into a listening session.
The earpad material is very nice - much better than I thought it would be.

Let me tell you, this headphone is the REAL deal. Whomever wrote that the bass is overwhelming has much different
hearing than I as I hear authoritative bass with control. This headphone is capable of high definition with no distortion
whatsoever. The lows come across without sounding congested and do not step in the way of the mids or highs.
Separation is excellent and each musical instrument holds it's place in space. The imaging is wide. This is like a Senn HD800
taken to the next level. Nice soundstage while allowing me to be in the musical space, not rows back - it's all around me.
The cables are nice.

Equipment I've used is the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP from MBP as source(mediacenter24) to bitperfect. Also used my
Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Sony WM1A, Headamp GS1, and the MOJO from a FIIO X5II. Each have shared a bit of time but most of the
time is on my beloved Sony WM1A - it's just so friendly and portable.

More to come at 50 to 100 hrs.

I found the bass became even more authoritive with 200 hours or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back