Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #183 of 4,852
If you were in the EU I would have been very tempted... Shame you didn't like them but that's is the game we play I guess.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #186 of 4,852
There’s a lot more to the design of these than just the drivers and air dampening system. The earpads are critical to the sound as well. In addition to the drivers needing burn in, the EARPADS need to be broken in! It makes a huge difference. After several days they become noticeably softer and conform better around the ears. They will also “sink in” more. The D8000 is still on the warm side of neutral, but everything is in much better balance now.
Let me tell you what these sound like now. They have the massive soundstage of the Sennheiser 800S with much better bass, smoother treble, and are easier to drive by a wide margin.

Does that mean sale cancelled? :p

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #188 of 4,852
Hey @Hifiearspeakers, just out of curioisity, are you driving the D8000 with a Chord Hugo, Mojo or the headphone out of a DAC?

I have an Oppo PM-3, which is even easier to drive (32 ohms & 102db) than the Final D8000 (60 ohms & 98db).
I've heard them through the Chord Mojo, Hugo, and also the headphone out of a Prism Lyra 1 and Audient ID22 audio interfaces (the Chords at a Hifi store, I own the Lyra and owned the ID22).
Even if any of those headphone outs has more power than what the PM-3 needs according to specs, I've always found them bland and unispiring out of the Chord gear, and also with the Audient and Lyra integrated headphone amps.

The thing changed radically when I bought a second hand AMB M3 headphone amplifier, those usually go for about 200$ used. It just grabbed that Oppo and made it a man.

What I'm trying to say is, planars ADORE stable current delivery more than the watts themselves, the AMB M3 is made for that purpose, and also some Kevin Gilmore amps.

If that happened with a miserable Oppo PM-3, which needs less power than the D8000, and I'm sure is nowhere near special or transparent sonically, this should transform the D8000.
It's worth a try because a second hand AMB M3 costs around 200$ and retains it's value pretty well, you can sell it after without almost no money loss. If the AMB M3 can't make the D8000 sing for you (and, believe me, it should kick it's @ss),
then you'll be sure that you didn't like the D8000 (no remorse after selling, "should I have tried XYZ before selling this thing?").

Give it a try, I think that it should be the solution to the problem.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #190 of 4,852
Of the Chord’s, I only own the Mojo. These headphones definitely “sing” and are very musical. That has never been the problem for me. They may even sound better with better amps. My only issue was that the bass was too pronounced for my preferences. But that has changed since the earpads have softened up. I don’t know how or why, but it has tamed the bass by a few db’s, and it has tamed the slight 8K treble peak (that wasn’t really a problem to begin with). They just sound smoother and better balanced now. They’re really growing on me now, and I’ll keep posting updates as they come!

The Questyle CMA400i is a great match for the D8000 in my opinion :)

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #194 of 4,852
Using google impressions translate, this must be a spectacular headphone, as the Chord Mojo for a planar is meh at it's best.

Stream of consciousness google translate:
- Burn in the headphone (pink noise for a couple of days), wait for the earpads to loose up a bit (makes a lot of sense due to the unusual non air-tight earpads)
- Needs a real headphone amp despite the sensitivity (current delivery), something along the lines of a SS Dynalo MK2/Mjolnir Pure Bipolar or a full transconductance setup (Bakoon amp and DAC, using "Satri Link" and "current" headphone jack).
- Better have a really good DAC for this one (don't want to use a sub par source with such an special audio transducer).
- Change the cable for a better one, preferably thinner than the stock one (this one needs confirmation).
- Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back