FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Oct 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #4,936 of 6,207
Could it be, that FiiO has other priorities than fixing existing issues?

X5III came out February 2017, X7II in Juli 17, since then M7 but no more Highend devices.

iBasso came with the 120 (with 2 SDcards), for Model 150 and 200 there will be an Android 8 upgrade ....

Please FiiO surprise us with something comparable :)

Oct 2, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #4,937 of 6,207
Could it be, that FiiO has other priorities than fixing existing issues?

X5III came out February 2017, X7II in Juli 17, since then M7 but no more Highend devices.

iBasso came with the 120 (with 2 SDcards), for Model 150 and 200 there will be an Android 8 upgrade ....

Please FiiO surprise us with something comparable :)
Their choice of using the rk3188 seems like a poor move. As it doesn't seem to support new Android OS by the manufacturer. So asking @FiiO spending lots of resource to make newer Android version probably impossible.
I just hope they release an actually stable firmware with no system storage issue or problem with Fiio Music. It has too many bugs, a new version comes up with a fix then introducing another which hinders normal operation is very annoying. They need to do a better software quality control before releasing anything and stay silent for a few months.
A bhin more fluid or maybe a new look on Fiio Music would be nice enough.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #4,938 of 6,207
That's your hope. I'm shure that after more than a year since the release of the hardware, most of the bugs have been fixed and the system is optimized to what the hardware can deliver.

X7II and X5III are good devices, but a smoothly fluent and stable system with no storage issues will only be possible with a next generation device, based on newer hardware and corresponding OS. I'm shure, FiiO will soon come up with something, it's time ...

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #4,939 of 6,207
X7II very disappointing support imo, flagship dap and little upgrades, seems to me like their more interested with the implementation of the Samsung chip and the M7 and M9 these days. They might sell more low cost players to the masses but don't forget your customers with that but more cash to burn !

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #4,940 of 6,207
It seems that the conversation on the X7 Mk II seems to be centering on it's age. It would have been nice to purchase a flagship device 1 1/2 years ago with components that are some years ahead of their time. That being said, this device cannot be compared with the newer units, or the iBasso DX 200 that is almost 1/3 again more expensive with dual DACs, nor the cheaper DX 150.

It does seem that FIIO is going for the budget minded consumer, but that's where they started out when the company was formed. It is a shame that the hardware chosen was not upgrade-able to the latest Android version, but the trade off was to incorporate the excellent SABRE ESS9028 PRO chip. The reason I purchased it was the fact that it had that chip, and the sound quality, just being shy of the super premium ESS9038, was really a great sound upgrade. There's no doubt that the sound quality is it's main attraction. The difference between the X5 II that I had previously was a real game changer, and impressive at the time.

I'm not trying to be sticking up for FIIO on that account, as I have paid the full price for it, and it hasn't changed, for the most part, since it's inception. It is still one of the best sounding devices in it's price range, which is why I said that we can't compare it side by side with iBasso considering the cost and date of manufacturer differences. At the time I purchased the FIIO X7 Mk II, it was the best "bang for your buck" I could find. Don't get me wrong, as I had to return the unit to the factory once already.

FiiO will soon come up with something, it's time ...

That doesn't help those with this unit, but your point is valid, to be sure. I just need it to work smoothly, I'm not going to take points off for the lack of Android upgrade-ability however due to the date of manufacture of the unit and the cost factor. The fact that it has Bluetooth and WiFi is a bonus too. The real trick would be to have a better player to use with the pure music mode. I am using the premium version of Neutron ATM as my go to player. I can also wirelessly stream from my NAS, which is really nice with other players too.

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #4,941 of 6,207
It seems that the conversation on the X7 Mk II seems to be centering on it's age. It would have been nice to purchase a flagship device 1 1/2 years ago with components that are some years ahead of their time. That being said, this device cannot be compared with the newer units, or the iBasso DX 200 that is almost 1/3 again more expensive with dual DACs, nor the cheaper DX 150.

It does seem that FIIO is going for the budget minded consumer, but that's where they started out when the company was formed. It is a shame that the hardware chosen was not upgrade-able to the latest Android version, but the trade off was to incorporate the excellent SABRE ESS9028 PRO chip. The reason I purchased it was the fact that it had that chip, and the sound quality, just being shy of the super premium ESS9038, was really a great sound upgrade. There's no doubt that the sound quality is it's main attraction. The difference between the X5 II that I had previously was a real game changer, and impressive at the time.

I'm not trying to be sticking up for FIIO on that account, as I have paid the full price for it, and it hasn't changed, for the most part, since it's inception. It is still one of the best sounding devices in it's price range, which is why I said that we can't compare it side by side with iBasso considering the cost and date of manufacturer differences. At the time I purchased the FIIO X7 Mk II, it was the best "bang for your buck" I could find. Don't get me wrong, as I had to return the unit to the factory once already.

That doesn't help those with this unit, but your point is valid, to be sure. I just need it to work smoothly, I'm not going to take points off for the lack of Android upgrade-ability however due to the date of manufacture of the unit and the cost factor. The fact that it has Bluetooth and WiFi is a bonus too. The real trick would be to have a better player to use with the pure music mode. I am using the premium version of Neutron ATM as my go to player. I can also wirelessly stream from my NAS, which is really nice with other players too.
X line is dead. All focus shifted to closed android M line. There was going to be an x9 but plans were scrapped.

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #4,942 of 6,207
Good. I'm glad that I don't have to see a new device that would tempt me to throw more money at it. I am going to be happy with the player I have if the bugs get worked out with firmware. The trend in these forums seem to focus on shortcomings of devices rather than the actual performance of them. I just want the bugs to be worked out so that I don't have to keep up with the updates all the time.

I have found that electronic devices are the biggest cash burner in the world. Whether it be computers, cameras, video gear and audiophile devices, keeping up with the Jones' will just put you in the poor house. Either that or just keep you busy throwing cash out the window. : )

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #4,946 of 6,207
IMG_20180909_104232.jpg
IMG_20180908_144040.jpg
I have had Am3b for about 2 weeks now and for me its better than am3a, more power, more body, more musical with better seperation/ detail.Was a bit sceptical before purchasing but if you have the chance to use 4.4 I would give it the thumbs up.i even think it's better on the 3.5 mm with the er4xr.
The only fiio amp I have not tried is am5 but it outshines all the rest for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back