FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jun 14, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #4,681 of 6,207
To me - they sound exactly the same. I don't have any tracks running at 384 kHz and doubt anyone else does either. The pre-occupation with bigger numbers, and the thought they sound better is simply human fallibility and placebo at its finest :wink: Just like the idea that high gain sounds better than low gain. Same signal. All high gain does is raise the volume on everything - including the noise floor. If its not actually needed - high gain is the worst thing you can engage. But people think it sounds better because it is louder.

We humans are a funny bunch.

Personally I'd rather leave the noise floor where it is.

Welp, I need louder, on low gain I hit the maximum volume way too often :)

Guess that if you're using most IEMs though, you won't really need this kind of volume.,..

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #4,682 of 6,207
Ah yes George - I really pity your ears my friend. I just hope you don't end up with tinnitus in later life. its not pleasant.

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #4,683 of 6,207
I may also have a bit of an OCD to never reach the maximum possible volume, like I feel somewhat uncomfortable knowing that I am listening at 100% of what a device can do.

Also, don't worry, that won't be the case. I tend to listen for short but loud times.

With Metal, you need to live to the max :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #4,684 of 6,207
I am using high performance as of recent times.

To me faster and more controlled bass, more layered, and a bit more seperation.

[...]

Just using redbook flac, no streaming #overkill

@FiiO

Like @FiiO said: It doesn't have any influence on sound processing at red book level (16-bit / 44.1 kHz).

Excuse me for being blunt here, but any difference you "hear" is only happening in your head. Good ol' placebo effect.

I'm using high performance mode anyway, because the difference in runtime is marginal.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #4,685 of 6,207
Dear friend,

You could select the Convolver sample from ViPER4Android/Kernel after turning on the Convolver. Their website: http://vipersaudio.com/
The Viper company did not provide the reference to us and this function is supported by Viper so we could only share the feedback from other user to you currently. Hope it help.

Best regards
Thank you.

I found the supplied impulse files in that directory. When I copied the Audeze supplied .wav files into that directory, they were seen, selectable, and supported. Yeah! Thank you.

I guess this is a Viper feature enhancement, but I feel compelled to point-out a shortcoming now that I'm using it... it's not user friendly at all that a 'filter pack' is not supported (zip file containing a filter for every sample rate, packaged in one selectable filter-pack file in the UI).

I have a lot of music in every sample rate; not just RedBook. Listening to a 44.1K file, then 96K file, then etc., requires me to go and manually switch the filter file applied to match the sample rate, needing first to determine what that is (else sound quality is greatly affected to the negative). The Roon player for example will switch which filter is used automatically, matching the sample rate, as a unique filter file is provided for all sample rates and application is capable of switching amongst a set of filters automatically.

Is the UI of the Viper convolver filter, and application of any selected filter(s) to the DSP, in the realm of FiiO supplied code or Viper supplied code?

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #4,686 of 6,207
I have been using USB out from beginning into Teac HP Amp. Not really sure what the fix is.

Hi do you know if x7 can output bit perfect threw usb out? Do you experience pops and clicks due to android src interference with the downsampling issues of android?

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #4,687 of 6,207
Hi do you know if x7 can output bit perfect threw usb out in otg mode? Do you experience pops and clicks due to android src interference with the downsampling issues of android?

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #4,688 of 6,207
Hey Guys,

I’m going to try a pair of sennheiser 800’s tomorrow. If I get them, they’d primarily be used with my x7 Mk II. would the AM3A amp be enough for these, or would I need to go for the A5? Obviously I’d need at least an adapter for the 6.35 jack to 3.5. I guess I’d also look to see if I could get a cable to connect the headphones with the balanced connection as well. This is unexplored territory for me!

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #4,689 of 6,207
Dear friend,

The robot interface stays green even pressing the turn on usb storage button in the display? You could do the factory restore from system settings which would not delete your music files and change the firmware verison. But the APP data will be clear.

Best regards
Hey Fiio,

I did a reset, and thus far it seems ok, everything is working again as it should. With the new Fiio music app you sent me, my playlists all appear to be working great now! Great job, thank you!

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #4,690 of 6,207
Indeed :-D
I was reading an article recently in a serious science publication about paranormal activities believers simply who actually have their brains making it happen, Same for some audiophiles, if you believe (or ask yourself) in cables sound signature, firmware updates and stuff like that your brain will make the change tangible.
An uber $$$ Cardas cable could fix your firmware induced SQ degradation...:beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile:

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #4,691 of 6,207
Hey Guys,

I’m going to try a pair of sennheiser 800’s tomorrow. If I get them, they’d primarily be used with my x7 Mk II. would the AM3A amp be enough for these, or would I need to go for the A5? Obviously I’d need at least an adapter for the 6.35 jack to 3.5. I guess I’d also look to see if I could get a cable to connect the headphones with the balanced connection as well. This is unexplored territory for me!

On high gain, it would drive HD800 to acceptable volume...but that's really about it "acceptable volume" and nothing else IME.
What you get with X7 MK 2 + HD800 combo won't be horrible but will be far far from even decent to good synergy. I did test this combo out just for kick. The HD800 deserve way more, IMO.

A5 might give you more juice but I haven't heard the combo to comment.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #4,692 of 6,207
On high gain, it would drive HD800 to acceptable volume...but that's really about it "acceptable volume" and nothing else IME.
What you get with X7 MK 2 + HD800 combo won't be horrible but will be far far from even decent to good synergy. I did test this combo out just for kick. The HD800 deserve way more, IMO.

A5 might give you more juice but I haven't heard the combo to comment.
Hey Koiloco,

Thanks for the insight, yeah if I’m going to spend that kind of money, they have to play nicely together! I can already see myself thinking maybe the k5 desk amp, bit I’d love to keep it simple and portable, at least around the house anyway. Anyone have experience of the AM5?

Cheers,

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #4,693 of 6,207
Hey Koiloco,

Thanks for the insight, yeah if I’m going to spend that kind of money, they have to play nicely together! I can already see myself thinking maybe the k5 desk amp, bit I’d love to keep it simple and portable, at least around the house anyway. Anyone have experience of the AM5?

Cheers,
I've used the AM5 with the HD800. Drives them loud enough and it's actually a pretty clean source.

I looked at the K5 for the X7II and the dealer indicated that the AM5 was probably cleaner power than the K5. Doesn't take the charging/desktop convenience into consideration though.

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #4,694 of 6,207
Hey Guys,

I have the 800S AM3A and A5. The AM3A through the SE output is not enough to adequately power the HD800S - but is very good balanced. So it depends on what topology you are using. Other choices are the AM3B (4.4mm connector for the balanced) - its warmer but has great power output, and would pair nicely with the HD800. Again though - need a balanced cable.

If you're set on an SE output, the AM5 does a pretty good job. I just prefer the AM3A balanced as the tonality is a bit more neutral.

Jun 15, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #4,695 of 6,207
I have the 800S AM3A and A5. The AM3A through the SE output is not enough to adequately power the HD800S - but is very good balanced. So it depends on what topology you are using. Other choices are the AM3B (4.4mm connector for the balanced) - its warmer but has great power output, and would pair nicely with the HD800. Again though - need a balanced cable.

If you're set on an SE output, the AM5 does a pretty good job. I just prefer the AM3A balanced as the tonality is a bit more neutral.
Hey Brooko, may I ask where you got your balanced cable from?

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back