FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #196 of 6,207
If X7 and X5iii had a baby, it would look like...

fiio_x7ii-x01.jpg

fiio_x7ii-x02.jpg

fiio_x7ii-x03.jpg

fiio_x7ii-x04.jpg

fiio_x7ii-x05.jpg

X7 feels a little naked now since it doesn't have a cool TPU clear case like X7ii and X5iii :wink:

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #197 of 6,207
Nice Alex - I don't get my sample until Tuesday. Just arrived, or have you had a chance to play around with it yet? Snappier UI?

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #198 of 6,207
Nice Alex - I don't get my sample until Tuesday. Just arrived, or have you had a chance to play around with it yet? Snappier UI?

Literally, just opened the box (DHL dropped it off outside the door without even ringing a door bell, good thing I checked cause we are expecting a storm over night). Just spent a few minutes with it, copying songs, then a very short listening/comparison to X7.

UI does feel faster, and what I like - they changed the GUI of the main Playback window, a lot cleaner now with a slim scrub bar to fast-forward through a song, and track/artist name underneath, and clean layout of play/pause/skip buttons; all the extra stuff (eq, bluetooth, favorite, etc) is hidden and accessible from a pop-up animated menu behind (...) icon.

fiio_x7ii-x06.jpg

Comes with a default AM3a balanced module, but I only tested SE output between X7 and X7ii (just a very quick test). Seems that AM3 has a little more power in comparison to AM3a. Right away, I can hear a wider soundstage. Tonality is similar, but I do hear a little improvement in dynamics, maybe even a little better layering of the sounds, nothing really night'n'day yet (except for a noticeable soundstage width improvement), though too early to talk about it, I want to let it play over the weekend, to condition capacitors and the rest of the circuit.

We are talking about dual uSD card (vs single in X7), volume wheel and playback hw buttons (like in X5iii, I was never a big fan of X7 symmetric button layout, never got used to it), backward compatibility with original amp modules, some GUI improvements - all that already a bonus. Plus, Sunny mentioned they have a new FW update which I have to check out. So far so good!

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #199 of 6,207
Literally, just opened the box (DHL dropped it off outside the door without even ringing a door bell, good thing I checked cause we are expecting a storm over night). Just spent a few minutes with it, copying songs, then a very short listening/comparison to X7.

UI does feel faster, and what I like - they changed the GUI of the main Playback window, a lot cleaner now with a slim scrub bar to fast-forward through a song, and track/artist name underneath, and clean layout of play/pause/skip buttons; all the extra stuff (eq, bluetooth, favorite, etc) is hidden and accessible from a pop-up animated menu behind (...) icon.

Comes with a default AM3a balanced module, but I only tested SE output between X7 and X7ii (just a very quick test). Seems that AM3 has a little more power in comparison to AM3a. Right away, I can hear a wider soundstage. Tonality is similar, but I do hear a little improvement in dynamics, maybe even a little better layering of the sounds, nothing really night'n'day yet (except for a noticeable soundstage width improvement), though too early to talk about it, I want to let it play over the weekend, to condition capacitors and the rest of the circuit.

We are talking about dual uSD card (vs single in X7), volume wheel and playback hw buttons (like in X5iii, I was never a big fan of X7 symmetric button layout, never got used to it), backward compatibility with original amp modules, some GUI improvements - all that already a bonus. Plus, Sunny mentioned they have a new FW update which I have to check out. So far so good!

I really like the new clean UI. A new FW already? Please keep us posted. Thanks

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #200 of 6,207
Volume control: 120 steps +/- button control (via analog-domain controller)
Volume control is analog or digital?
Can someone explain me?

thanks

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #202 of 6,207

Awesomeness HBB .. Can't you like move the review to 1 instead of 2 weeks? :) kidding.
I am glad you spoke about balanced performance between the two.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #203 of 6,207
I would like it if this round of reviews would include all features of the device. Wi-Fi / Bluetooth range and functionality especially. they may seem insignificant in regard to how the device sounds or what the UI looks like, but since this and other DAPs are now streaming devices, testing the wireless capabilities should be part of the review.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #204 of 6,207
I would like it if this round of reviews would include all features of the device. Wi-Fi / Bluetooth range and functionality especially. they may seem insignificant in regard to how the device sounds or what the UI looks like, but since this and other DAPs are now streaming devices, testing the wireless capabilities should be part of the review.

I will talk about most features including streaming wifi range and the like. Just got it today so it's just first impresions. Balanced output quality was the first notable thing that struck me today

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #205 of 6,207
I will talk about most features including streaming wifi range and the like. Just got it today so it's just first impresions. Balanced output quality was the first notable thing that struck me today

That would be helpful. I had to return an Opus#2 because of poor Wi-Fi range. Had it been discussed in some of the reviews I read, I wouldn't have purchased it.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #207 of 6,207
Jul 22, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #208 of 6,207
:triportsad: HI awesome initial review wow 700 bills this may be out of range for me. just got the orig. x7 about a month ago wondering if waitng a year the price may drop like the orig x7 did may have to wait happy listening
700 bills is cheap for the hardware spec the X7 MKII has been built with :). Interesting to see how all the impressions will go, keep it coming guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back