FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jul 20, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #183 of 6,207
Aside from getting another hour or 2 play time, what would be the significant upgrades or changes I would experience if I get the x7ii instead of just getting an am3 module for my x7i which has currently the am1 module.

I currently have the upgrade itch but I need to justify the purchase nonetheless by knowing if it's going to be a leaps and bound upgrade or small step.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #184 of 6,207
Aside from getting another hour or 2 play time, what would be the significant upgrades or changes I would experience if I get the x7ii instead of just getting an am3 module for my x7i which has currently the am1 module.

I currently have the upgrade itch but I need to justify the purchase nonetheless by knowing if it's going to be a leaps and bound upgrade or small step.

X7ii comes with a volume wheel and after using Opus #3 for a while now, I really fell in love with having a volume wheel on a DAP!

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #185 of 6,207

It has a second MicroSD slot and double the internal storage if you need more. It might sound better, but we'll have to wait for reviews to really tell. Double the RAM should help performance. Fiio's slides show a 40% increase in performance based on a benchmark. Updated Wifi implementation will probably be better (dual band, so no 2.4GHz interference with Bluetooth if using a suitable router). It also supports Qualcomm and Mediatek's fast-charge protocols.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #186 of 6,207
The Calyx-M.

Changed my perception of DAC traits and totally flipped it upside down. A DAC really is a slave to the surrounding parts. The DAC selection does not mean as much as we would like or the companies would like us to think.

http://www.headfonia.com/calyx-m-perfect-zoot-suit/2/

I don't often link to these folks but only a few have held and reviewed it.
If the X7ii sounds anything like the Calyx I will be stoked. Warm yet...detail rich and extends to the ends of the sonic spectrum both ways. Black as night BG.

Agree on this. Provided I can walk from the wall plug to the front door with out the x7ii running out of battery, unlike the Calyx :p

On sound alone however it was something else in my eyes... Ears.

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #188 of 6,207
Looks interesting, will be interested to see how this compared to Onkyo DP-X1A as it is selling the same price here in Singapore.
I'm interested in this comparison as well. I had my eyes set on the Onkyo DP-X1A but if the Fiio can do what it does and sound better I will go for it instead. I like the interchangeable amp modules on the Fiio. The new amp module that comes with Fiio seems to offer good power over a wider range of headphones according to the specs. Reading reviews in the DP-X1 forum there still seems to be some quality issues with it. That is the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger on getting the DP-X1A. But feature set of the Onkyo and the Fiio for that matter seems to have everything I want in a DAP. If the reviews of the Fiio aren't to my liking I might just skip both and go for the Cowon Plenue S.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #189 of 6,207
Will DLNA, Tidal, and other streaming app works on X7 II?

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #190 of 6,207
I'm interested in this comparison as well. I had my eyes set on the Onkyo DP-X1A ...Reading reviews in the DP-X1 forum there still seems to be some quality issues with it. ... I might just skip both and go for the Cowon Plenue S.

Quality issues with DP-X! were problems with loose jacks, and they appear to be limited to the first run of DP-X1, not X1A. (I had an X1 briefly.)

Cowon Plenue S is a completely different device -- no Android features, no connectivity or streaming.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #191 of 6,207
Quality issues with DP-X! were problems with loose jacks, and they appear to be limited to the first run of DP-X1, not X1A. (I had an X1 briefly.)

Cowon Plenue S is a completely different device -- no Android features, no connectivity or streaming.

Okay, that's good to know. Now it will come down to the better sounding device. I really like the feature set of the DP-X1A. But this new X7 MKII looks very good as well.

Jul 21, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #192 of 6,207
X7ii comes with a volume wheel and after using Opus #3 for a while now, I really fell in love with having a volume wheel on a DAP!
X5 III has volume wheel too, and it works fine

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #193 of 6,207
X5 III has volume wheel too, and it works fine

I online heard X5 III balanced, a bit distant from X7 with AM3 balanced, IMHO.
Honestly, I don't think X7 II will make a BIG difference in SQ to X7 1st but I am curious to hear what you folks have to say.

But, the volume wheel, 2 cards, faster charge and improved wifi, on top of an already very capable device such as it is X7 and the continuity of the Sabre DAC, make X7 2nd a very interesting option. If I hadn't X7 1st alread, that would be a no brain decision...

My 2 cents

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #194 of 6,207
I online heard X5 III balanced, a bit distant from X7 with AM3 balanced, IMHO.
Honestly, I don't think X7 II will make a BIG difference in SQ to X7 1st but I am curious to hear what you folks have to say.

But, the volume wheel, 2 cards, faster charge and improved wifi, on top of an already very capable device such as it is X7 and the continuity of the Sabre DAC, make X7 2nd a very interesting option. If I hadn't X7 1st alread, that would be a no brain decision...

My 2 cents

Agreed, X7ii is one of the devices I am most interested in at this moment. I don't have the first gen of X7 though :darthsmile:

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #195 of 6,207
Hopefully the faster charger is enough to keep it going indefinitely with the AM5 module. Using the X7 as a player or a USB DAC makes it drain the battery, even when plugged in :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back