FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #1,156 of 6,207
Depending how this week goes, I would be tempted to pick one of these up for work, however for it to be practical with my needs (I use voip and laptop for calls so would need to be able to use as dac or) buy a k5 to use with it to allow switching between dap audio and line in.
However I do wonder how the k5 stacks up now against the amp in the stock x7ii.

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #1,157 of 6,207
Since you tagged me..

You gave X5iii 5/5 and praised it as did I.
The X5iii and DX could not be more different.

I am also not a big fan of the #3 so we have different tastes. Are there any well known daps you don't like?

Me first:

OPUS #3, Original X7 with stock amp, DX200, <<<< Cold to neutral with one having odd treble (#3)

The X7 MK II is the sonic "Daddy" to all the above mentioned IMO

So tell me what DAP's you don't like george. For the readers of this site that info is just as valuable as what you do like.

Of course, my friend :smile_phones:

I tend to enjoy more things than I tend to dislike :darthsmile:

Let's see...

I liked / like / enjoy:

X5 warm but not smooth, was nice and was my first good quality DAP

X5ii sounded less warm to those ears than X5, but still not neutral, interesting transition

X3ii was fairly neutral, quick and nice sound, was airy and wide enough to be fun

iDSD BL is a thing of its own, quick but well expressed bass, sparkly top end, but doesn't go into being harsh, and the midrange is textured yet somehow it is smooth and musical, Very deep and wide sound.

Opus #3 has an interesting signature, quite textured, energetic, the treble is slightly enhanced, pretty wide sounding

DX200 has a really fast and vividly textured sound, both wide and deep sound, really digging it these days. Didn't run any app tests or any battery tests yet

AP200 is a fun DAP at its price, I like the spark in the treble quite a bit, it is deep and wide enough for its price I'd say, also the Android on it works fairly well, minus the glitches you probably noticed as well

Waiting for M2s and X7mkii to arrive before talking about them.

Neutral about:

HiFiMAN Megamini, it is quite minimalist in its design, so I'm not sure if it fits with everyone's qualms and desires. The sound is great, makes up for it.

I praised X5-3 for its software a lot, because it was a huge step-up for FiiO at the time, the sound, while great for many, it was not exactly my cup of tea - written that a few times over, too smooth up top, I want me some treble to enjoy metal music, sparkly signatures are energetic and vivid for me, the treble on X5-3 was clearly intended for something like another audience.

Now about what I am not necessarily a fan of (dislike?):

1Z (and its cheaper brother) - Way too quiet for comfortable listening levels (EU capped version), also the sound not sparkly or airy. I should add that I wanted to like them Sony DAPs before testing it...

Revisiting it sometimes, I find Cowon J3 quite far from my ideal sonic signature, not deep enough, not strong enough, with all its enhancements it is considerably under the first X5.

SanDisk Clip+ - I paid over 100$ for one, expecting it to be the holy grail of music... Resolution is under FiiO X1, which costs about the same in Romania, so I'm a bit bitter about it as a whole.

It seems that I can hear the treble of #3 being slightly different, but I enjoy it anyways. You also use EX-1000 already, which is not treble shy, nor warm by its nature. I think that this is a big part of why our inputs on sources differ a bit.

All in all our opinions don't necessarily differ as much as our preferrences do, DX200 is energetic, vivid, zvelt, and neutral. #3 has a sparkly top end with a slightly different tone than I'm used to. I can hear and describe those, but I like them.

About the software side of things, we will probably agree about it all the time :darthsmile:

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #1,159 of 6,207
I can't believe I left the idsd micro and BL off my lists. I loved both with a preference for the black.

Actually imo in the under 1k bracket (in Australia) I would place the idsd black at the top of anyone's audition list.... Provided you don't mind the form factor.
Its better than the Hugo.

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #1,160 of 6,207
Hi!

I only tried in pure music mode, can’t precise on storage but most probable from external cards.

Will do some tests and report in a moment

Thanks for feedback!!
Regards

Edit:

Nope, tried Android and pure music, internal and external storage, no resume. Same cards and same music as on X7 1st and it was working fine, not in X7 2nd

Dear friend,

Try this firmware to see if it helps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lcladxenav4vmy/X7II-ota-20170807.zip?dl=0

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 22, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #1,162 of 6,207
I'm not sure if its been mentioned before, but the price is going up to £599.99 in the UK. Due to the weak £ apparently.

I was seriously considering getting one, now it will have to wait. :frowning2:

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,164 of 6,207
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,165 of 6,207
Thanks for trying it! Downloading and updating mine later. Does it show any version number or it is the same firmware?

YES, it works now! :L3000:

[Edit] Btw, reading some references about gapless, this version is working perfect for me, just in case someone has a problem. A new VU meter, nice, more readable than the previous, like it.

Thanks
Best Regards

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,170 of 6,207
Do you have to manually install this update? There isn't an update available from within the device itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back