FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Feb 12, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #5,401 of 6,207
I was talking about the Q5, but now that you mention it, it sounds like maybe the A5 is what I should be looking for. Is line out going to give me the same sound quality that the Q5’s digital input could give, or is it too little of a difference to matter?

If you use the line-out to A5, you are using the X7 DAC, and gaining more power (and I assume cleaner) for driving larger, more inefficient cans.

If you go the Q5 route and use coax/optical out of X7 into the Q5, you use the DAC in the Q5 (bypass X7 DAC) and gain whatever benefits, if any, it provides over the X7 and then uses the same amp module as the X7 to drive your cans.

Again, the X7 has a fine DAC, I would go the route of A5 and use a player like neutron to give you more flexibility to tweek the sound.

I use the X7mkII with a Shure KSE 1200 IEM and the sound quality and detail that it provides me are unreal. It is 90% of my home unit. For my portability needs, I am done chasing "better" as I cannot see gaining anything significant over what I have or need sound wise. The X7 buggyness is another issue.

Again, you did not mention what cans you have or what you are trying to achieve. Your "Better sound" statement needs to be clarified as it is ambiguous. What is your kit currently? What is it lacking to meet your needs? PM me if you care to. Good luck hunting.

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #5,402 of 6,207
I’d be tempted to sell my X7 and get a Q5 instead. I would not have to worry about laggy, ageing Android firmware. It’s just effort. I’m just too lazy. I don’t see the point in owning both. As far as I can tell the Q5 is an X7 without a screen (that’s obviously a gross simplification :p).

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #5,403 of 6,207
I’d be tempted to sell my X7 and get a Q5 instead. I would not have to worry about laggy, ageing Android firmware. It’s just effort. I’m just too lazy. I don’t see the point in owning both. As far as I can tell the Q5 is an X7 without a screen (that’s obviously a gross simplification :p).

if you want more snap in your X7 you could check out the fidelizer ROM for the X7 or X7 mk II. over at http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/portable-products/

It is tuned for performance, The advanced rom - purist is really good.

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #5,405 of 6,207
I'm confused, is the ROM free or not?

the basic ROM is free, the advanced ROM is not, the basic ROM does tune up the X7 quite nicely speed wise and application wise. the enhanced, and the Advanced ROM takes that up several notches and adds tighter system tweaks and customization from extending battery life, to completely isolation the OS from the music app and giving even greater stability..

To be honest, it depends on how far you want to take the mods. For many people the basic ROM is all they may need. It comes down what do you want from your X7 and is it worth it for you to buy the enhanced or Advanced ROMs

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #5,406 of 6,207
the basic ROM is free, the advanced ROM is not, the basic ROM does tune up the X7 quite nicely speed wise and application wise. the enhanced, and the Advanced ROM takes that up several notches and adds tighter system tweaks and customization from extending battery life, to completely isolation the OS from the music app and giving even greater stability..

To be honest, it depends on how far you want to take the mods. For many people the basic ROM is all they may need. It comes down what do you want from your X7 and is it worth it for you to buy the enhanced or Advanced ROMs

The Free release for the original X7 is here:

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/fiio...5-released-with-bright-sound-signature-fixed/

The Free release for the X7 mk II is here:

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/fiio...-7-1-0-8-jp-released-with-fiio-music-updated/

BTW the best person to talk to about this is @WindowsX here on the forums, He is the one who made these ROMs.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #5,408 of 6,207
Dear friends,

The agreement of cooperation between FiiO and ViPER's Audio has expired, so we're afraid that the new version of FiiO Music will no longer have the embedded ViPER Effect plugin. However, we've been working hard on the dynamic EQ and will try our best to develop more audio effects.
If you have purchased the ViPER Effects and would like to continue using it, you may download the apk file of the old version, copy it to the player, and then install it through ES File Explorer (this will overwrite the new version).
Download link for the FiiO Music old version (apk): Click here

Best regards
I sent my X7II for repair and they replaced it with a new one. It came with the latest update 1.07, I installed the old FiiO Music but ViPER Effects which I already purchased asking me to purchase again. How can I contact them to get this resolved?

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #5,409 of 6,207
I sent my X7II for repair and they replaced it with a new one. It came with the latest update 1.07, I installed the old FiiO Music but ViPER Effects which I already purchased asking me to purchase again. How can I contact them to get this resolved?

Our VIPER effects are keyed to the X7 you purchased them on against a hardware key I think. :frowning2:

Technically it means you need to rebuy them I think.

But wouldn't sending email to support@fiio.com get you an answer? They won't back in their offices until after the 18th tho.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #5,410 of 6,207
Our VIPER effects are keyed to the X7 you purchased them on against a hardware key I think. :frowning2:

Technically it means you need to rebuy them I think.

But wouldn't sending email to support@fiio.com get you an answer? They won't back in their offices until after the 18th tho.
Thanks, I will drop them an email.I thought it would be linked to Google account but it's not.

Couldn't wait that long, purchased them again.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #5,412 of 6,207
I've owned the x7II for a couple of weeks and have a question about downloading my playlists from spotify premium for offline use. When you download, the files go directly to the 2 gig ram and fills it quickly. Any settings I'm missing and or haven't found to direct spotify download to the internal memory or better yet my sd cards? I'm on a steep learning curb with a "smart Dac/amp" having started out with a x3II and an x5II. With those two having no WiFi, I would have to build my playlists on my PC which was laborious. Would be nice with the x7 to have offline access to my spotfiy library which is extensive. And as all Fiio owners know getting detailed info from their website is almost non existant. Any advise will be greatly appreciated..

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #5,413 of 6,207
Couple of cases amongst literally 100’s sold. I use my X5iii every day. Volume wheel still going strong. X7ii is as well - but it also gets less use.

What's the reason your X5iii gets more use than your X7ii? I've got the X7ii and have had the X5iii in the past, but never at the same time. It might be nice to have a smaller DAP for the gym, trips away etc.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #5,414 of 6,207
I've owned the x7II for a couple of weeks and have a question about downloading my playlists from spotify premium for offline use. When you download, the files go directly to the 2 gig ram and fills it quickly. Any settings I'm missing and or haven't found to direct spotify download to the internal memory or better yet my sd cards? I'm on a steep learning curb with a "smart Dac/amp" having started out with a x3II and an x5II. With those two having no WiFi, I would have to build my playlists on my PC which was laborious. Would be nice with the x7 to have offline access to my spotfiy library which is extensive. And as all Fiio owners know getting detailed info from their website is almost non existant. Any advise will be greatly appreciated..

I have the X5III but the Spotify Premium app should give the same options...

In the Spotify Android app, hit the little ||\ icon at the bottom, click the gear icon, go to the very bottom, under "Other" click Storage and it should give you options for what ever storage the app has recognized as available. In my Spotify app it gives me the choice between my two SD cards and the internal storage (not the tiny slice the FiiO gives for installing apps--that's the 2Gb install space--This internal storage space on my X5III is around 26Gb--I think the X7II's internal storage is larger.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #5,415 of 6,207
What's the reason your X5iii gets more use than your X7ii? I've got the X7ii and have had the X5iii in the past, but never at the same time. It might be nice to have a smaller DAP for the gym, trips away etc.
Size (portability) and tonality. I personally like the warmth and richness. I also used Viper a lot but with latest fw dropping it, I’ll have to see what other options there are. If Neutron is more stable with jkhubas new kernel then it’ll still be my preference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back