FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Feb 16, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #3,916 of 6,207
Yes where is @Brooko !!

Any news on when the 4.4mm balanced module?

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #3,917 of 6,207
Hey @Brooko, do you find the AM5 to sound a bit warmer than the AM3a?

The AM3a when run balanced has enough power for my Aeon Flow Closed and Aeon Flow Open, but I'm looking for something a little warmer and thicker in presentation, as I listen to a lot of metal and rock.

Thanks

AM5 is a little warmer than the AM3A to me - but its not night and day. If you really want a lot more warmth - then the AM2A might be the one you're after.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...fier-module-for-x7.21783/reviews#review-16827

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #3,918 of 6,207
Feb 16, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #3,919 of 6,207
I'm around - working on some reviews for Amos' site - https://www.headphone-earphone.reviews/

4.4mm no good for me. I have no headphones terminated that way.

I don't have any single headphone or IEM with that termination either, curious why it is such a raved socket / plug.

AM5 is a little warmer than the AM3A to me - but its not night and day. If you really want a lot more warmth - then the AM2A might be the one you're after.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...fier-module-for-x7.21783/reviews#review-16827

Agreed, I find AM03A and AM5 to be fairly close as well, after a lot of listening.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #3,920 of 6,207
I don't have any single headphone or IEM with that termination either, curious why it is such a raved socket / plug.

Sony uses 4.4 for their single balanced connection. There is a very large market of Sony users in China that Fiio can capture at the relative low expense of developing one amp module.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #3,922 of 6,207
Sony uses that for their Players only, or also for their headphones? :)
Shouldn't it be both? (e.g. MUC-M12SB1 and also there are bundled headphones with 4.4 cables)

Really no large domestic manufacturers in China are utilizing 4.4 plugs, so Fiio is very wise to do it before other players catches on. In March, Fiio will release 4.4 balanced upgrade cables for their own IEMs as well.

Going on a tangent, I can speak from first hand experience that Sony players are extremely popular in China and upgrade cable market / philosophy is much more widely accepted. For example, I have gotten yelled at here on Head-Fi when I posted about upgrade cables because they think it's all BS, whereas in China I would get a lot of replies for discussions regarding the different cables and sounds. Because of the wide acceptance, there are many DIY cable makers on Taobao that will custom make 4.4 cables for a fraction of the price versus the US (where I am now), so there are lots of cables with 4.4 plugs out there floating around.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #3,923 of 6,207
Shouldn't it be both? (e.g. MUC-M12SB1 and also there are bundled headphones with 4.4 cables)

Really no large domestic manufacturers in China are utilizing 4.4 plugs, so Fiio is very wise to do it before other players catches on. In March, Fiio will release 4.4 balanced upgrade cables for their own IEMs as well.

Going on a tangent, I can speak from first hand experience that Sony players are extremely popular in China and upgrade cable market / philosophy is much more widely accepted. For example, I have gotten yelled at here on Head-Fi when I posted about upgrade cables because they think it's all BS, whereas in China I would get a lot of replies for discussions regarding the different cables and sounds. Because of the wide acceptance, there are many DIY cable makers on Taobao that will custom make 4.4 cables for a fraction of the price versus the US (where I am now), so there are lots of cables with 4.4 plugs out there floating around.

Interesting data :)

I had no idea about those things to be honest.

I am all for aftermarket cables if they provide better ergonomics, but I favor having everything needed from the start simply because not everybody likes tinkering that much

I like how 4.4mm looks like, and think it could be awesome, but I'd also want a module with 6.3mm if there will be one

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3,926 of 6,207
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #3,927 of 6,207
Never been tempted myself, as they look cheap. How about the mitre case? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crafted-MITER-Leather-Case-Patented-Gray/dp/B075STVWGG

Yeah I saw that one, but i really like the idea of a flip case to protect the screen. The X7 is about 3mm narrower than the X7ii according to Fiio website, and I'm worried it will a really tight squeeze to get X7ii into the case designed for X7, hence why I'm enquiring here as to whether anyone has one :)

Looks thicc for now, I'm not sure if I'd want X7mkii to become this thicc

Yes sure, thick, but safe :) - absolute portability is secondary to safety for me.

I have scolded too many kids for too many broken cellphone screens to risk going there myself. Lol.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #3,928 of 6,207
I posted my review on the Miter Leather case BTW :)

Link for more photos and other cool articles :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2018/02/miter-cases-for-fiio-x7mkii-and-ibasso.html

Audiophile-Heaven-Miter-Case-Review-17.jpg

Audiophile-Heaven-Miter-Case-Review-23.jpg

Audiophile-Heaven-Miter-Case-Review-15.jpg

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #3,929 of 6,207
The Miter X7ii case is OK, but it's about 1mm too short and the three apertures in the bottom are slightly offset.

I just want a good quality leather case with no flip stand, but unfortunately, Dignis aren't going to make one. The questions is, with the amount of X7ii's sold, why?

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #3,930 of 6,207
The Miter X7ii case is OK, but it's about 1mm too short and the three apertures in the bottom are slightly offset.

I just want a good quality leather case with no flip stand, but unfortunately, Dignis aren't going to make one. The questions is, with the amount of X7ii's sold, why?

Check Aliexpres, Tabao and Chinese markets if you need more cases. There are a lot of them :)

As for the buttons offset, I was able to use most of my cables just right, but yes, it doesn't look perfect in person, but it works just fine for me.

Seems like the DX200 case is better somehow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back