FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #3,901 of 6,207
I’m going to likely sell my x7 gen II when I receive my Hiby dap like I sold my x5 gen 3. The x7 is built very well and sounds very very good but software and WiFi let it down big time and makes it look amateurish.

I was tempted by the Hiby when it was first announced, especially as Joe Bloggs is working for them now. The deal breaker for me is that it only has one card slot..

I never liked the X5ii and sold it after 3 months so I was never tempted by the X5iii

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #3,902 of 6,207
I've noticed my gapless playback on my fully updated X7ii is broken. Was it working before?

I know FiiO has a history of braking gapless, as they did it on the X5iii.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #3,903 of 6,207
I was tempted by the Hiby when it was first announced, especially as Joe Bloggs is working for them now. The deal breaker for me is that it only has one card slot..

I never liked the X5ii and sold it after 3 months so I was never tempted by the X5iii

I had both x5 2 and 3, believe me, 3 is totally different than 2. Seemed like x5 3 gave me less problems than the x7 gen 2.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #3,904 of 6,207
Dear friend,

Sorry, because of the Internet issue there, failed to read the video. Maybe would it be the warning tone in your computer or software? You may try other softwares as well.

The delay may relate to many factors. You may try setting the usb streaming mode to minumun latency to see if it helps.

Best regards

Hi!

How do I set up the USB streaming mode to minimum latency?

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #3,905 of 6,207
Question regarding the amps on the X7ii: I am using the DAP with the default AM3a and Westone W30s, and I think it might be a case of pairing a slightly warm dac/amp with slightly warm IEMs making the output sound very muddy and little clarify in the mids. I previously used these IEMs with Dragonfly Red and they sounded great. Do you think if I tried using an AM1 amp (or any of the others), it might help balance things out a bit? Do the other amps have the same sound quality (just slightly different signatures and power ratings)? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,906 of 6,207
Question regarding the amps on the X7ii: I am using the DAP with the default AM3a and Westone W30s, and I think it might be a case of pairing a slightly warm dac/amp with slightly warm IEMs making the output sound very muddy and little clarify in the mids. I previously used these IEMs with Dragonfly Red and they sounded great. Do you think if I tried using an AM1 amp (or any of the others), it might help balance things out a bit? Do the other amps have the same sound quality (just slightly different signatures and power ratings)? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure, but X7mkii never came to me as a muddy DAP. In fact, I'd say it is very clear with AM03A.

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #3,907 of 6,207
I'm not sure, but X7mkii never came to me as a muddy DAP. In fact, I'd say it is very clear with AM03A.

I don't doubt that it is clear for most people, as that is what I've read on most review sites. As I said in my message, I think it might be the pairing with my IEMs. Maybe muddy isn't the right word as I'm not an expert audiophile, but the mid-upper bass is so strong and not tight, that it drowns out the clarity. I was just wondering if there was any noticeable differences between the amps available.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #3,909 of 6,207
Thanks, maybe it's just I got too used to these paired with a DFR, which is somewhat brighter and pairs well with the Westones which are somewhat V shaped I believe. But to close the loop, is the AM1 considered less warm?

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #3,910 of 6,207
Just wondering.What's your opinion on the sound quality increase between 24/192 FLAC and DSD? Is it worth the doubling of the file size?

I know there could be variables, but for sake of argument, presume both files were taken from the same source material.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #3,911 of 6,207
Just wondering.What's your opinion on the sound quality increase between 24/192 FLAC and DSD? Is it worth the doubling of the file size?

I know there could be variables, but for sake of argument, presume both files were taken from the same source material.

We have stores advertising a Vinyl player which streams the data via Bluetooth to other devices :)

I don't think it is worth asking this, just check if you feel that the master is better with any, if the master is the same, you shouldn't feel much difference, but they usually use different masters

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #3,912 of 6,207
Are you using the supplied tips or comply with your Westones?

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #3,913 of 6,207
Are you using the supplied tips or comply with your Westones?

I'm using the supplied tips (not comply). It sounds clear (to my ears) on the DFR, so I'm hesitant to say it's all the headphones fault. Maybe it's just the pairing. I don't have any EQ or Viper effects turned on. I'd hate to start messing with them, without really knowing what I'm doing (i.e. I lower the wrong bass frequencies and reduce sound quality even more).

It could also be that I just need to get used to a different sound signature.

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #3,914 of 6,207
I'm using the supplied tips (not comply). It sounds clear (to my ears) on the DFR, so I'm hesitant to say it's all the headphones fault. Maybe it's just the pairing. I don't have any EQ or Viper effects turned on. I'd hate to start messing with them, without really knowing what I'm doing (i.e. I lower the wrong bass frequencies and reduce sound quality even more).

It could also be that I just need to get used to a different sound signature.
Yeah I would never mess with a EQ either. Maybe you need to purchase some new IEMs, I have Alclair RSMs and it's some of best sound quality I have heard, and I have tried a lot of gear.

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #3,915 of 6,207
@John1122 -

1. Can't really recommend the amp module until we know what your headphones are going to be. Their power requirements will drive your amp decision. If you aren't intending going balanced on your headphones, and you plan on buying a headphone which needs more power - then AM5 is probably your best bet.

2. As far as headphone choice goes - if you can answer the following, it will get you better responses:
    • Open or closed (ie do you need some isolation / will you be using these in a noisy environment or on the move)? Generally closed will give you more bass (quantity) options.
    • Any preference on wired or wireless?
    • Will you only be driving from X7ii - or do you have other sources? What are they?
    • Over ear or on ear?

Hey @Brooko, do you find the AM5 to sound a bit warmer than the AM3a?

The AM3a when run balanced has enough power for my Aeon Flow Closed and Aeon Flow Open, but I'm looking for something a little warmer and thicker in presentation, as I listen to a lot of metal and rock.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back